I’m going to buy into the Z system - some advice needed

Real Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, Z6 kit with 24-70 and FTZ ordered. I sold on my nearly-new E-M1iii and a couple of little-used m43 lenses to fund it. If the Nikon doesn't completely work out for me then I can always run back to m43 by picking up a used E-M1ii (I really don't think the mark iii offers anything significant over the mark ii).

If the Nikon works, then I'll keep just the Pen-F and a couple of small m43 primes as a compact/street camera and then sell off the rest of the m43 stuff to get the Nikon lenses I need.

BTW - why the hell are XQD cards so expensive!!

Real Name
Andrew
k
Well, Z6 kit with 24-70 and FTZ ordered. I sold on my nearly-new E-M1iii and a couple of little-used m43 lenses to fund it. If the Nikon doesn't completely work out for me then I can always run back to m43 by picking up a used E-M1ii (I really don't think the mark iii offers anything significant over the mark ii).

If the Nikon works, then I'll keep just the Pen-F and a couple of small m43 primes as a compact/street camera and then sell off the rest of the m43 stuff to get the Nikon lenses I need.

Because they are relatively new and only a handful of companies make them.

I REALLY think you'll like the Z6 and the 24-70/4. Great choice and can't wait to see how you get along with it.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel

I think you will be blown away with the Z6 and the 24-70 F4.

I am really happy with my Z7 and the 24-70 and I quickly acquired a SH 14-30

I have found compared to my old Olympus RAW files the Z7 files often do not need any PP adjustments when I load into DXO.

Apart from the smoother tonal translations I can get much more details out of the shadow areas before the files fall apart.

The IBIS is on a par with my old EM5, which surprised me.

I kept a LX100 for small camera duties. I found that after I bought a D810 that I did not used my M43 anymore.

I got a Z7 with the 24-70 f4 and a 50 1.8s which come with it for free (yet to arrive) couldn't be happier, one of the main reasons I got the 7 over the 6 is an odd one to be honest but I cant stand the 3:2 aspect ratio, and generally shoot 4:5 if I can which on the Z7 is still a highly respectable 36 megapixels odd or so. Its a great camera, as im sure the 6 is also, eventually I will get a 6 also to use for astro, as a backup and for video.

Just because, a slightly different perspective ;)

I do tend to agree with most of what's been said, but I still have a firm foot in both camps (with no intention of selling my Olympus gear at all). One thing that I don't believe has been mentioned is the incredible gimble like IBIS when doing video (not just stills). I do love my Z6 and Z7, but there's no way on earth that walking along with say the 24-70 F4 gives you stable footage (still quite shaky), whereas the IBIS on almost any lens on my EM1 MK III or EM1-X gives almost gimble like steadiness (if that's important to you).

I've also started to really like the live ND features of both Olympus bodies (when I don't have any filters with me), and it's like having a bag of ND filters (up to ND 32 - 5EV). Also whilst I don't tend to use the high res function much I do use the wonderful live time and live bulb features (unique to Olympus) which really helps makes incredible night scenes.

I'm not bashing Nikon (I absolutely love my Z's, and really looking forward to Nikon fleshing out the native Z lens lineup) and there's no getting away from the image quality benefits of the much bigger sensors, but how about this as a parting shot. I recently got my Olympus MC-20 (2x Converter) to go with my 40-150 F2.8 Pro or the 300mm F4 Pro, and I tried it the other day on the latter lens (so 1,200mm effective focal length), and this was the result. Oh yes, this was handheld ! I wouldn't want to try that with FF.

So for me, my Nikon Z system I see as a compliment rather than a replacement to my Olympus system.

49945285261_4df4168a9c_h.jpg

and a 100% crop

49945285316_21cba23111_h.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Ian

Hi Paul,

As a fellow Olympus-to-Nikon convert, I think you'll be pretty pleased with the Z6. While you do lose some features from Olympus (LiveTime/Comp, High-Res, etc.), I think that the image quality improvements make up for it. I'm always blown away by the high ISO capabilities of the Z6.

As a landscape kit, I too have the 14-30 f/4 (fantastic lens IMO), 24-70 f/4 (also fantastic), and the AF-P 70-300 on the FTZ. I used this while hiking around the UK Lake District last year, and had no complaints compared to carrying around my m43 gear. I do plan on taking a serious look at the 24-200 when it comes out, as I owned the 12-100 PRO from Olympus and found it to be a great travel lens.

Regarding the XQD cards, I think you get screwed in the UK. Here in the US, the price of XQD cards are very similar (sometimes even cheaper) than the UHS-II SD cards. One thing you should take a look at is CFexpress cards. They are essentially a next-gen XQD with MUCH faster write and read speeds. Here in the US, the price of a 128GB XQD is the same as a CFexpress, despite the newer card being much faster. I'm not certain how that pricing translates over on the other side of the pond though.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the Z6 once you have it in your hands and have a chance to shoot with it!

Real Name
Paul
Just because, a slightly different perspective ;)

I do tend to agree with most of what's been said, but I still have a firm foot in both camps (with no intention of selling my Olympus gear at all). One thing that I don't believe has been mentioned is the incredible gimble like IBIS when doing video (not just stills). I do love my Z6 and Z7, but there's no way on earth that walking along with say the 24-70 F4 gives you stable footage (still quite shaky), whereas the IBIS on almost any lens on my EM1 MK III or EM1-X gives almost gimble like steadiness (if that's important to you).

I've also started to really like the live ND features of both Olympus bodies (when I don't have any filters with me), and it's like having a bag of ND filters (up to ND 32 - 5EV). Also whilst I don't tend to use the high res function much I do use the wonderful live time and live bulb features (unique to Olympus) which really helps makes incredible night scenes.

I'm not bashing Nikon (I absolutely love my Z's, and really looking forward to Nikon fleshing out the native Z lens lineup) and there's no getting away from the image quality benefits of the much bigger sensors, but how about this as a parting shot. I recently got my Olympus MC-20 (2x Converter) to go with my 40-150 F2.8 Pro or the 300mm F4 Pro, and I tried it the other day on the latter lens (so 1,200mm effective focal length), and this was the result. Oh yes, this was handheld ! I wouldn't want to try that with FF.

So for me, my Nikon Z system I see as a compliment rather than a replacement to my Olympus system.

View attachment 1662560

and a 100% crop

View attachment 1662561
Thanks for this. I do accept that the Olympus system still has a lot to commend it. The lenses are superb and the camera features are second to none. I'll certainly miss Livetime. Didn't really give LiveND a run for its money, but I'm OK with using ND filters. I don't do video, so the poorer IBIS implementation in the Z6 won't hurt too much. I also don't do long lens stuff (my 40-150/2.8 gathers more dust than photons!), so the size/weight/cost issues of FF lenses don't impact me.

However, I can see me keeping a foot in both camps for a while. I've let my EM1.3 go so have just the Pen-F at present. I may swap that for an EM1.2 if I do decide to keep more than a small foothold in m43.

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
Hi Paul,

As a fellow Olympus-to-Nikon convert, I think you'll be pretty pleased with the Z6. While you do lose some features from Olympus (LiveTime/Comp, High-Res, etc.), I think that the image quality improvements make up for it. I'm always blown away by the high ISO capabilities of the Z6.

As a landscape kit, I too have the 14-30 f/4 (fantastic lens IMO), 24-70 f/4 (also fantastic), and the AF-P 70-300 on the FTZ. I used this while hiking around the UK Lake District last year, and had no complaints compared to carrying around my m43 gear. I do plan on taking a serious look at the 24-200 when it comes out, as I owned the 12-100 PRO from Olympus and found it to be a great travel lens.

Regarding the XQD cards, I think you get screwed in the UK. Here in the US, the price of XQD cards are very similar (sometimes even cheaper) than the UHS-II SD cards. One thing you should take a look at is CFexpress cards. They are essentially a next-gen XQD with MUCH faster write and read speeds. Here in the US, the price of a 128GB XQD is the same as a CFexpress, despite the newer card being much faster. I'm not certain how that pricing translates over on the other side of the pond though.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the Z6 once you have it in your hands and have a chance to shoot with it!
Hi Ian - thanks for the post. I do like the look of the 14-30. It's just the FoV range I like (7-15 !). I have an AF-S 70-300 in front of me now, so I'll see how that looks once I have the camera. So long as the centre is sharp wide open I'll probably just live with that. Apart from the occasional airshow, I don't have a need for this sort of FL really. The 24-200 does interest me though. When I got the 12-100 I wasn't immediately sure that I'd like it - but it's turned out to be an ideal lens for landscape and travel.

One more thing, and i know this is personal, but if you plan on using longer lenses on the Z's, I much prefer the handling with the Nikon MB-N10 battery grips. Yes, we all know they are just battery grips and have no external controls (that they certainly should have had), but for me anyway, they transform the handling of the cameras with my 70-300 AF-P FX, my 300mm F4 PF and 200-500 F5.6.

Real Name
Ian
One more thing, and i know this is personal, but if you plan on using longer lenses on the Z's, I much prefer the handling with the Nikon MB-N10 battery grips. Yes, we all know they are just battery grips and have no external controls (that they certainly should have had), but for me anyway, they transform the handling of the cameras with my 70-300 AF-P FX, my 300mm F4 PF and 200-500 F5.6.
Honestly, I find the handling just fine with an RRS grip with the 70-300.

The lens is already pretty small and definitely light. Without any external controls, I struggle to justify buying a battery grip. I have them for my D500’s, but don’t find it necessary for my Z6.

Honestly, I find the handling just fine with an RRS grip with the 70-300.

The lens is already pretty small and definitely light. Without any external controls, I struggle to justify buying a battery grip. I have them for my D500’s, but don’t find it necessary for my Z6.
Like I say, It's all personal. 👍

If you have the budget for it, look into the 24-70 f2.8 its amazing. I used it for a little (borrowed) I want to buy it now.

Real Name
Andrew
I've let my EM1.3 go so have just the Pen-F at present. I may swap that for an EM1.2 if I do decide to keep more than a small foothold in m43.
I you decide to let the PEN-F go, let me know. I’ve been sniffing around for a second m43 body and I’d love to get another of those or perhaps an EM5.2 if the price is right and the “accountant” oks the funds. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom