I’m looking at 55’ 4K TV

Real Name
Randy
I’m going to upgrade but I’m concerned about input signal,
I watch Spectrum Cable and it looks like it doesn't do 4K via cable box. I might switch to WIFi based for sports,
Netflix is an easy upgrade
Amazon Prime Video does 4K for free.
I’m not a gamer

Any suggestions or help is appreciated including suggested models. Looks like a grand should get what I need,

Real Name
Don Roy
Agreed, OLED. Your wallet will recover long before the TV wears out (my 65" LG is a 2016 model). If you can use an antenna for sports, you could drop spectrum. I do 98% streaming and will never go back to a Spectrum/Xfinity/Dish. When I went to 4K back then, the dominos fell fast. I needed a new streaming box (nVidia Shield), a new receiver to do 4K video switching (Denon), and a 4K Bluray player (Oppo 203, now out of production).

When my pricey Samsung 55 inch died after only 3 years, I went with a cheap 4k Roku TCL 55 inch for $350. So far I couldn't be happier. I've ditched my cable and have a digital antenna with local HD programming and stream everything else on Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney plus.

Before Covid hit, I had compared tv viewing quality in Best Buy, and preferred the LG OLED models over other makes. When it became obvious that we would be more restricted in staying at home, I used that to “justify” the purchase of a LG OLED.

To keep domestic peace, however, I knew that I better not push beyond 65”, for the next size up was twice the cost.

Before Covid hit, I had compared tv viewing quality in Best Buy, and preferred the LG OLED models over other makes. When it became obvious that we would be more restricted in staying at home, I used that to “justify” the purchase of a LG OLED.

To keep domestic peace, however, I knew that I better not push beyond 65”, for the next size up was twice the cost.
You are a smart man, Don.

Sony A8H 55 Inch TV: BRAVIA OLED 4K Ultra HD Smart TV with HDR and Alexa Compatibility - 2020 Model
I have a friend that has the A9G and loves it. I bought the x950h (LED) in September and I'm really enjoying it. Bang for buck, without going to oled, it's a solid tv.

TCL is also making some rumblings with their micro leds. Plus best buy has been having sales every now and again 50% off the 85" model, which brings it in around $1,000. A couple years ago I wouldn't have even considered one, but I did look long and hard this last time around.

I like LG, but I could have sworn that I heard earlier this year they were having some problems with their screens.

Real Name
Randy
I have a friend that has the A9G and loves it. I bought the x950h (LED) in September and I'm really enjoying it. Bang for buck, without going to oled, it's a solid tv.

TCL is also making some rumblings with their micro leds. Plus best buy has been having sales every now and again 50% off the 85" model, which brings it in around $1,000. A couple years ago I wouldn't have even considered one, but I did look long and hard this last time around.

I like LG, but I could have sworn that I heard earlier this year they were having some problems with their screens.
I wonder if I’ll see the diff between OLED and not.
Unfortunately I can’t see the screens in store so this is a kinda blind buy

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
When my pricey Samsung 55 inch died after only 3 years, I went with a cheap 4k Roku TCL 55 inch for $350. So far I couldn't be happier. I've ditched my cable and have a digital antenna with local HD programming and stream everything else on Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney plus.
I also have the TCL 55in 4K Roku, and am thrilled with it.

I have off-and-on considered upgrading our 12-year-old Sony Bravia 40" with something bigger. My last two TV sets were Sony and both lasted well over 10 years without a glitch, so I was primarily looking at Sony.

I was about ready to buy a few weeks ago, but the Mrs. put the kibosh on the idea. It's not the cost, it's the idea of having a 50" screen dominating the room. And there's nothing wrong with our old Sony, so there's no need to replace it!

Real Name
Andrew
Sony, LG, or Samsung. Can’t go wrong on the set there.

as far as devices for streaming, my favorites are still Roku. I have the Ultra 4K and it has been a work horse.

straight forward interface for the whole family, solid software.

my second favorite is the TiVo Stream4K. This one is different because it uses Google TV as the backend. It is not all together stable. Can be frustrating at times. However, the interface isBilly around the shoes you watch or are interested in and less about the channel.

that is a nice alternative. I’d still go with the Roku though, either built in or an add on box.

if you lose remote frequently, like my family seems to do, the Ultra 4K box has an audible finder button on it to make the remote chime. The remote also has a headphone Jack so you can listen silently off need be.

the phone app is also great. Full remote control and ability to listen to audio through the phone of your selected channel with Bluetooth headphones.

if you are an iPhone user, Roku recently added native Airplay support.

Real Name
Randy
Sony, LG, or Samsung. Can’t go wrong on the set there.

as far as devices for streaming, my favorites are still Roku. I have the Ultra 4K and it has been a work horse.

straight forward interface for the whole family, solid software.

my second favorite is the TiVo Stream4K. This one is different because it uses Google TV as the backend. It is not all together stable. Can be frustrating at times. However, the interface isBilly around the shoes you watch or are interested in and less about the channel.

that is a nice alternative. I’d still go with the Roku though, either built in or an add on box.

if you lose remote frequently, like my family seems to do, the Ultra 4K box has an audible finder button on it to make the remote chime. The remote also has a headphone Jack so you can listen silently off need be.

the phone app is also great. Full remote control and ability to listen to audio through the phone of your selected channel with Bluetooth headphones.

if you are an iPhone user, Roku recently added native Airplay support.
we use Fire Sticks on every TV

At least to my eyes- OLED looks much better when you are in the store comparing them side by side.
Once you get it home, and your only comparison is your old set- they all look great.
If I think about it my oled set downstairs looks better, but if I am just watching tv or a movie and don't think about it, I don't really notice. I never have said, I need to move to the other tv because it looks better.
gary

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom