I’m looking at 55’ 4K TV

Real Name
Randy
That's the same price as the 48" version at BestBuy.
wow they took another $50 off because I'm a bestbuy member so $1350 before tax (same TV at Amazon is $1997 + tax, rare to see such a big diff). Only bummer is a 1hr drive to get it but I need to get out of my chair :)

Real Name
Don Roy
If it is any comfort, my wife and I saw the LG OLED at different times and in different stores. After we got ours, she confessed that she was blown away when she first saw it, but kept quiet, as she knew that there would have been one purchased that very day if she had mentioned it to me.
Yup, you have to experience the black blacks and HDR in your own home to understand how amazing it is. I can never go back to anything else. Would you be looking for the cheapest camera that will take a decent picture, or would you go for more expensive better one because you know it takes amazing pictures and you will have it a long time no matter what they invent next year?

Would you be looking for the cheapest camera that will take a decent picture, or would you go for more expensive better one because you know it takes amazing pictures and you will have it a long time no matter what they invent next year?
If only that were the case. Look at all the Z7 owners eager to buy the Z7 II. The life span of our consumer electronics is now measured in months instead of years. I don't know the sweet spot, but I don't think we garner much value in buying the current "best" at a premium today when that model will likely be outdated and much less expensive in 6 months.

Real Name
Randy
great point Roy, when it comes to a camera I'll drop $6K easy and I use my TV alot more. I'm impressed by the holiday discounts, retailers are surely hurting after a year of Covid.

Real Name
Randy
If only that were the case. Look at all the Z7 owners eager to buy the Z7 II. The life span of our consumer electronics is now measured in months instead of years. I don't know the sweet spot, but I don't think we garner much value in buying the current "best" at a premium today when that model will likely be outdated and much less expensive in 6 months.
at $2k for this TV I agree, at $1350 this is now cheaper than the model below it. I measure value by how much I use it and this year I watch too much TV
For cameras and glass they finally wore me out, no D780 or D6 for me, and the Z6 is perfect. I think we all go thru the buy-sell cycle more at the beginning of our photography career.

Hard to go wrong with any [newer] OLED models.

Downside is they are not as bright so if you have a very bright room, you might not want.
The other downside is they still do burn [slightly, way better] so if you watch a stock ticker all day, you might not like them come evening movie time.
Just know that BRIGHTER does NOT mean a better display....just most people perceive it as such.
You only need sufficient brightness to express the dynamic range of the input above the ambient reflections => Good AR coatings are KEY.

Upside is their color purity, speed and 180-degree viewing cone....and of course, black blacks.

I went the the newer LG for it's upgraded upscaling engine which is supposed to help sports.
The displays are all become close to equal - the engine behind them makes the most difference today.
Sony's engine for their top end is considered the best. But hard to know which models get which engine.
I choose to go with the "CX" units from LG as their new engine is pretty darn good and the prices are better than Sony.

Real Name
Randy
Hard to go wrong with any [newer] OLED models.

Downside is they are not as bright so if you have a very bright room, you might not want.
The other downside is they still do burn [slightly, way better] so if you watch a stock ticker all day, you might not like them come evening movie time.
Just know that BRIGHTER does NOT mean a better display....just most people perceive it as such.
You only need sufficient brightness to express the dynamic range of the input above the ambient reflections => Good AR coatings are KEY.

Upside is their color purity, speed and 180-degree viewing cone....and of course, black blacks.

I went the the newer LG for it's upgraded upscaling engine which is supposed to help sports.
The displays are all become close to equal - the engine behind them makes the most difference today.
Sony's engine for their top end is considered the best. But hard to know which models get which engine.
I choose to go with the "CX" units from LG as their new engine is pretty darn good and the prices are better than Sony.
I perceive Sony as a better brand but the LG CX is the best according to reviews

Randy - they are both great choices -- your preference might just be setups. In-store demos are usually not even representative of the "out of box" experience as they get "tuned" by some employee.
Calibrated comparisons are what matter more -- trust reviews.

A couple of years ago when I was shopping for a TV and OLED's were just then starting to come out, one of the salesmen I spoke to mentioned that 4K's and OLED's were pretty much the same except that on a 4K when you view from an angle the sharper the angle the more you lose, with OLED you pretty much see a great picture at any angle. Does that sound about right?

LCD's have viewing angle restrictions.....period.
The smaller pixels needed for 4K are WORSE than the larger 1080P pixels in similar-sized panels....going the wrong way.
There are many tricks used to make them appear to have a wide viewing cone, but they are tricks.
IPS panels with their "sideways" cells are better, but suffer other problems.

OLED are native emitters that do radiate 180 degree.
Side viewing is WAY better.
Really helps us at home to view the TV from the kitchen.

Just another note -- LCD's are STRONGLY biased toward 6-oclock viewing.
This is why you'll see TV's mounted on a wall going up, but you'll never see somebody selling TV's that you look down at in the store.
If you have a weird mounting issues and need to look down [even a little] to look at your TV, you'll want an OLED.

When I was in the market for one, the OLED's were considered new technology and the price difference reflected it. For my use I couldn't justify it. In my situation when I want to watch it from the kitchen I pull the wall mounted TV with an articulating arm out and turn it 45 degrees for viewing. If I were in the market today, with the price difference where it is now I would choose OLED.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom