I’m looking at 55’ 4K TV

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
this will be my 1st TV over $500 and way over, I found it for $1499 and a 1hr drive each way. The bx is $200 less NOW ($500 less normally) and I can't pass up the chance I will notice the difference. But considering I'm coming from a 52" LG LCD I expect the new OLED will be a very good upgrade. The old LCD will go to Salvation army since they have no resale value, (only $450 new and I'll guess 8 years old)
Randy, call and check with the Salvation Army first before taking that TV over there. Many of them will not take older televisions. I know the ones here in St. Louis flat out refuse to take them.

Get real 5.1 or better sound....Soundbars are just "if you must" technology.
Great sound really helps the experience - the virus really underlined the value of having a complete TH system.
I figured we spend a lot more time at home watching TV with "The Rona."

I bought the following:
65-inch LG CX OLED
Denon AVRX-4700H Receiver
ELAC UNI-Fi Front & Center speakers
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
Re-using stands for the fronts and a couple of B&W in-wall speakers for the rear surrounds.
This was the "limit" of my room and wife's acceptance for gear and speakers.

Using DirecTV as a source (Best broadcast definition) and streaming Netflix HD, Amazon & Disney services.

Result is a KILLER system - really improved HT experience.
The sound is important.

Great sound really helps the experience - the virus really underlined the value of having a complete TH system.

I bought the following:
65-inch LG CX OLED
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
Re-using stands for the fronts and a couple of B&W in-wall speakers for the rear surrounds.

Using DirecTV as a source (Best broadcast definition) and streaming Netflix HD, Amazon & Disney services.

The sound is important.
Yes, sound is important. So if a real 5.1 is not possible, at least get a good sounder with subwoofer.

Do any of these "smart" TVs allow streaming from any internet source? Other than sports we primarily watch operas from the Metropolitan Opera and concerts of the Berlin Philharmonic from their websites, which I stream from my MacBook Pro to an early-generation Apple TV device.

Do any of these "smart" TVs allow streaming from any internet source? Other than sports we primarily watch operas from the Metropolitan Opera and concerts of the Berlin Philharmonic from their websites, which I stream from my MacBook Pro to an early-generation Apple TV device.
Many smart tv’s allow one to connect /setup a internet browser. I believe some have one installed while others need to be added. I think with Sony you end up having to set and use a google account.

I bought the following:
65-inch LG CX OLED
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer

The sound is important.
Fred, I do agree it is the total immersion bu perhaps could overwhelm a 55 inch TV.
He may want to start off small. I know it can be a rabbit hole, as I have full Atmos setup with dual subs, ceiling and in walls....its over the top but not to everyone’s taste.

I wonder how that works without a mouse or keyboard...
Not all smart tv's have a browser built-in...at least none of the popular ones do. It's mostly app based. Your current approach is likely the ideal way to handle it short of hooking up a computer to the TV. In my case, I have a mac mini that's sole purpose is to house our movies/shows digitally and I use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo to control it via one of the inputs.

Yes, sound is important. So if a real 5.1 is not possible, at least get a good sounder with subwoofer.
The built-in speakers of most TV's suck so yes, at the very least get a soundbar w/ subwoofer. I have a 5.1 soundbar system and it's pretty damn good, though it is no home theater setup. I'd love one, but not in this house or at this phase of our lives. When the kids get older, i'll definitely have a dedicated HT setup.

Yes - the newest TV's load app's just like phones....
As an example:
DirecTV dumped NBC today just in time to miss the Steeler game.
Loaded The Peacock trying to find it there.
When that failed - I found my networked streaming tuner and was able to tune and use that as my NBC source using the antenna in the attic.
All using the LG's built in abilities.

The TV has a built in browser.
I have a Logitech keyboard that talks to the TV - just plug in the BT dongle in the USB port in the back of the TV just like a PC.

And yes, in theory, I could have used the built in tuner in the LG however I've yet to connect the antenna to the TV.

Real Name
Randy

I bought the following:
65-inch LG CX OLED
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer

The sound is important.
Wireless ?

Wireless ?
I like wires....so no. Dedicated BW and never any interference - wireless only as a last resort in my house.....

Although the TV has WiFi, I plug it into my house Ethernet like everything else.

You can also do wireless audio - I've not tried by many do.
I'm tempted to add a second SB-3000 in the back of the room and would uses the SVS wireless link for that if I go there.....

Real Name
Don Roy
The only disappointment for my now 4 yr old LG OLED as with their 'smart' part. The TV was the first 4K device in the house, so the old HD Roku was no help watching 4K streaming. The TV smart was fine for a year, then LG stopped updating some of the apps. That got me to buy a 4K nVidia Shield and all has been great since. My point is, the Smart part of a new TV shouldn't be a major purchase consideration.

I think some of the newer ones have an Apple TV app built in. Wouldn't that support Apple Airplay?
Yes, some newer TV's have airplay built in...my 50" vizio in my office does and it works great. Also has chromecast built in. I'm a big fan of Vizio even though i'm a bigger fan of Sony XBR TV's. I stay as far away from anything Samsung.

I got my Vizio at costco for $299 several months back and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. If this was a main tv, i'd get the M or P line instead of the V or D. But the TV is solid.

When I was in the market for one, none of the Vizio's came with remote controls.
In order to change channels or any settings on the TV you had to run an app from your smart phone. This was a deal breaker for me as I like having the remote that anyone in the house could use.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom