I’m looking at 55’ 4K TV

Have a LG 55" thats 4K capable. Got it at Best Buy for 5 bills. I did add a soundbar to it since the built in speakers were a bit lacking.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
We went a different route: I have a library room downstairs that we can close the blinds so it gets dark and we got an Optoma projector and 110 inch (manual) pull down screen. We will never go back to regular TV's

Real Name
Randy
I have been completely satisfied with the 65CX......outstanding color and sharpness
thanks !
it took some reading but the lg 55 cx is simply the best, now to navigate the prices. Bextbuy is $500 less than Amazong but not in stock, keep looking

Real Name
Randy
As rapidly as technology is changing now it may not be worth it to buy a high-quality set just because it might last longer.
I only care about IQ (sounds familiar). The price is not much more

As rapidly as technology is changing now it may not be worth it to buy a high-quality set just because it might last longer.

Jim, I think you're right here. Sadly, even these big TVs have become disposable items. There is no way to "future proof" your purchase today as the tech is changing so fast and most of these are only built to last a few years. Even an inexpensive TV today likely has a better picture and smart features than a high end set from 3 years ago.

Real Name
Randy
TVs are like refrigerators for me, they never break and get donated to charity still working and we keep both for years.
My only concern is that I need to ‘see’ the upgrade and after reading reviews yesterday I’m sure I will be blown away

TVs are like refrigerators for me, they never break and get donated to charity still working and we keep both for years.
My only concern is that I need to ‘see’ the upgrade and after reading reviews yesterday I’m sure I will be blown away

How old is your current TV? Ours is 11 years and still works fine. Our last refrigerator (Amana) ran 32 years and we have an Amana freezer in the basement still working fine after 50 years.

Last edited:

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
How old is our current TV? Ours is 11 years and still works fine. Our last refrigerator (Amana) ran 32 years and we have an Amana freezer in the basement still working fine after 50 years.
I remember I bought my first flat panel TV more than 20 years ago and it was a 42" plasma. It broke down in 2008 and I bought a 55" 1080p plasma TV, with the same price as the 1st one. It worked well until last year and I had to buy a new TV - a 65" 4K OLED, again with the same price as the first one.

Real Name
Randy
this will be my 1st TV over $500 and way over, I found it for $1499 and a 1hr drive each way. The bx is $200 less NOW ($500 less normally) and I can't pass up the chance I will notice the difference. But considering I'm coming from a 52" LG LCD I expect the new OLED will be a very good upgrade. The old LCD will go to Salvation army since they have no resale value, (only $450 new and I'll guess 8 years old)

Real Name
Randy
Which means it was actually less expensive in real cost.

I paid $1600 for my current 40-inch Sony back in 2008 but don't expect to pay anywhere near that for the next set.
right now $1499 buys what's arguably the best (I never bought the best before). 12 years is a lifetime in TV technology

If it is any comfort, my wife and I saw the LG OLED at different times and in different stores. After we got ours, she confessed that she was blown away when she first saw it, but kept quiet, as she knew that there would have been one purchased that very day if she had mentioned it to me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom