I’m looking at 55’ 4K TV

Real Name
Don Roy
"Fascinating" thread, as we sit here, enjoying our 15-year old LG 26". Can't think of why I'd want anything that would make me want to sit on butt more than I do! :D
Jeez, 26" TV, how 1975 of you.:) Even my PC monitor today is 32" 4K. I used to have a flat 26" PC monitor that also had a tuner and remote, so was a TV, but that was 15+ years ago.

When I was in the market for one, none of the Vizio's came with remote controls.
In order to change channels or any settings on the TV you had to run an app from your smart phone. This was a deal breaker for me as I like having the remote that anyone in the house could use.

Yep - I tried that once - could "make due" with other universal remotes, but there were times when it really was a PITA not to have a real remote.
Will never go down that road again. Wrong place to save a penny.

"Fascinating" thread, as we sit here, enjoying our 15-year old LG 26". Can't think of why I'd want anything that would make me want to sit on my butt more than I do! :D

Thank you, Nick! I was beginning to wonder if I were some sort of alien since my TV is circa 2013, 32" in size and certainly not a "smart TV," and I rarely watch the thing. I am relieved, though, to note people's comments about sound on their televisions......I'd just assumed that it was me, since I have hearing impairment anyway and hearing aids can only do so much, rather than the TV..... Well, now I know that the answer is to buy a sound bar. If I watched TV a lot more frequently than I do, I'd go for this, but seriously, television just does not play an important role in my household. It's in the bedroom rather than the living room (I'm in a condo apartment, not a house, so no family room here). There is limited space in the bedroom and I can't imagine having any sort of screen larger than the 32-inch TV I've already got in there. You people who talk about these (what sounds to me like) monster-size televisions must have a whole lot more interest in watching TV, not to mention a heckuva lot of space in the room the thing is placed, than I do!

Since we're on the subject of TVs, though.....I have what is probably a silly or weird question. When people mount their TVs on a wall or above their fireplace mantel, don't they have to crick their necks in order to watch the darned thing? How comfortable can that be? I am not a fan of lying down while watching TV, I am always seated in a chair and I much prefer to have the viewing screen at least positioned at a level where I'm not having to look upward at the thing. Or does that monster size of these cinema-sized screens actually alleviate the need to crick one's neck since the TV is already so large and filling up a lot of visual space in a room anyway?

D

Deleted member 4116

When I was in the market for one, none of the Vizio's came with remote controls.
In order to change channels or any settings on the TV you had to run an app from your smart phone. This was a deal breaker for me as I like having the remote that anyone in the house could use.
Both of my Vizio tvs came with remotes...never heard of them only being app based. Makes no sense

D

Deleted member 4116

So I looked it up and it looks like they experimented with little tablets that acted like remotes but that didn't last very long back in 2015/2016. Since late 16/early 17 they put remotes back in with the TV's.

It was 2015 when we bought the one we have now.
It was at Sam's Club and the box was clearly marked "no remote control must program smart phone to act as remote"
I got it home, never opened it after I read that on the box. When I took it back they confirmed that a smart phone was required to operate. Got a credit on my card, went to Best Buy and bought the LG instead. Vizio must have lost a lot of sales that year.

I went ahead and bought a basic soundbar with subwoofer. LG SL5Y 2.1 with DTS VirtualX for $200. Sound is very noticeably better. Set up was mostly straightforward. Discovered one side of one the 120V AC outlets in the house is wired to a switch - would've been simpler if I knew that beforehand.

Thank you, Nick! I was beginning to wonder if I were some sort of alien since my TV is circa 2013, 32" in size and certainly not a "smart TV," and I rarely watch the thing. I am relieved, though, to note people's comments about sound on their televisions......I'd just assumed that it was me, since I have hearing impairment anyway and hearing aids can only do so much, rather than the TV..... Well, now I know that the answer is to buy a sound bar. If I watched TV a lot more frequently than I do, I'd go for this, but seriously, television just does not play an important role in my household. It's in the bedroom rather than the living room (I'm in a condo apartment, not a house, so no family room here). There is limited space in the bedroom and I can't imagine having any sort of screen larger than the 32-inch TV I've already got in there. You people who talk about these (what sounds to me like) monster-size televisions must have a whole lot more interest in watching TV, not to mention a heckuva lot of space in the room the thing is placed, than I do!

Since we're on the subject of TVs, though.....I have what is probably a silly or weird question. When people mount their TVs on a wall or above their fireplace mantel, don't they have to crick their necks in order to watch the darned thing? How comfortable can that be? I am not a fan of lying down while watching TV, I am always seated in a chair and I much prefer to have the viewing screen at least positioned at a level where I'm not having to look upward at the thing. Or does that monster size of these cinema-sized screens actually alleviate the need to crick one's neck since the TV is already so large and filling up a lot of visual space in a room anyway?

That's why I wall mount my TVs pretty low by comparison. Also harder to hide wires when it's high on a mantle.

Real Name
Randy
I am close to my tv and the 55cx is supposed to have good sound so I’m waiting to decide. I’d prefer surround but I can’t do wired now that I replaced carpeting w laminate. I tried a sound bar once and didn’t like.

Real Name
Randy
P.s. the stand on the CX is most impressive. Instead of little plastic legs on the ends it has a metal stand in the middle

I am close to my tv and the 55cx is supposed to have good sound so I’m waiting to decide. I’d prefer surround but I can’t do wired now that I replaced carpeting w laminate. I tried a sound bar once and didn’t like.

I think they have some pretty good wireless surround sound systems now.
That should take care of your wiring problem.

Real Name
Randy
How's the picture?
I drove 3 hrs yesterday to get tv and when we got home no internet, looks like modem fried, sitting outside bestbuy now waiting for curbside pickup of new modem. When it rains it....

Real Name
Don Roy
This is a photography forum so....
My 'soundbar' for my LG OLED 65". Two more rear speakers are hanging on the room walls. I welded up the rack and stands too.

Full system.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D

Deleted member 4116

TV speakers vs. a soundbar will be night and day, no question. I have a soundbar and it is wired to the tv whereas the sub is wireless with the surrounds wired to the sub. No wires have to be ran across the room. Sub sits behind the couch and the surrounds are mounted behind the couch. No wires are seen and no manipulation of the house done. This will depend very much on your house design and layout obviously but the soundbar/wireless sub setup is a game changer.

Latest threads

Top Bottom