I’ve switched away from Nikon.

Real Name
Chris
[Is this a good place to talk abou my Switch. It seems too personal to post in “Non Nikon System Cameras” subforum. But if a mod disagrees, feel free to move It.]

As implied, I’ve gotten rid of my Nikon system (5 bodies 3 of which I used regularly), 9 great lenses, a few less great, and a handful of support equipment; all of my film cameras, keeping all my lighting and general support stuff like flash units, hot lights tripods and clamps, all to make room for my new system, not that it needs much room, I mean psychologically.

8 weeks of chemotherapy have left me too weak to hold my D850 steady. So I concluded I needed something lighter - much lighter, so Nikon Z was not an option either. I looked at all of the mirrorless options, and one stood out as much lighter than anything else: Olympus Pen, so I bought a Pen E-PL10 in light mocha and silver with some silver lenses - the 17/1.8, 45 /1.8 and the Laowa 4mm f/4, 220degree full circle fisheye (cause I can’t work without a fish in the bag!)

i wanted the denim blue accent, but that was on last year’s model only, and extremely rare at that.

I’m still evaluating macro and wides. I’ll probably be done after that, cause thats how that works, right? Hah! I will probably buy subsequent optics as needed. I also bought a 35mm optical viewfinder for the hotshoe so there is something for my eye to do when I forget there is no finder, only the big (3”) viewscreen. And that is the entirety of my only remaining general purpose camera.

Ok, ok; don’t panic - I’m planning on getting over the cancer, and regain my strength. I’ll want all that stuff back then. By “got rid of” I mean that I put my Nikon, OM, Leica and my Bessa into boxes (with dessicant packs) and sealed them with heavy duty packing tape, then put those into my storage closet. I won’t be digging into those boxes for a while.

About the camera: in short, I love it. Having admitted I’m a camera geek, this one satisfies that aspect. A few pictures later (I got it yesterday) seems as if it’s a good picture taker too. Once the OVF gets here, I think I’ll shoot more naturally, and it’ll start to flow. For now, I’m having fun free shooting.

The weight is about what I expect, the lenses are tiny - only slightly larger than my ‘crons, but lighter as they are made of aluminum. Having a halfsized sensor really does make a difference in the size of everything (including megapixels - it’s 16.) I can easily shoot one handed. Oh, and the color scheme:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

it’s one of the prettiest cameras I’ve ever used. The entire kaboodle was less than $1K!

Well, there you have it, Nikon fanboy no more. It’s back to my roots. I bought a decent OM-1n kit back in its time. I still have it. In a box, locked in storage.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Chris, cameras are just tools and I think you've got a pretty new one.
I'm curious now for your results.

Stay strong
Klaus

Sweet little camera. I really liked shooting Olympus. The problem (as you are going to find out) is that there is a whole ecosystem of very good to great lenses to shoot with and explore. Just keep shooting and joining in with us here at the Cafe!

Enjoy the Oly, Chris!

Through various challenges, time has taught me that the stuff between our ears has a lot to do with how we progress. You’ve got the right stuff! (y)

Your art will change, because you have changed.
The person behind the camera is in every picture.
Keep shooting, making art and thinking creatively is good for us.
I can’t wait to see your new work.
To paraphrase Lance Armstrong’s book- It’s not about the camera.
gary

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Looks like a great camera, Chris. You've really thought it through and picked a winner.

I look forward to your post that will say, "I beat cancer!", as well. Take care of yourself!

Get well Chris and enjoy the camera! I went the other direction with my small camera needs and went with a Nikon 1 J5. It gives me a small camera while still keeping me in the Nikon ecosystem using the FT1 adapter!

As an injured senior citizen, I know where you are coming from.
I also switched to Olympus, to reduce the weight of my kit, and my back and legs are very grateful.
It is scale down and keep shooting, or put the cameras away and stop shooting.

Brilliant strategy, figuring out how you can still enjoy photography while dealing with the whole chemo and cancer thing..... Looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with to share with us and you've certainly got a good start with the camera and with the lenses! That's a pretty camera and I'll bet in your hands it will take really nifty photos, too! :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom