I-35W collapses into the mississippi...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pushpin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Yeah, this reminds me of the highway collapse in the Bay area earthquake years ago. You can't prepare for this kind of thing. Either you're in the right place or the wrong one.

2. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    15 miles from my house. My husband drove over that bridge this morning and was delayed at work this evening or he would have been in that area around the time of the collapse.

Please pray for all of those involved. Hopefully the death toll will not increase!

3. This is a terrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved. I hope all the police, firemen and rescue people will be safe as they work through this.

4. pkusafa

pkusafa

Mar 3, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was in downtown Minneapolis tonight for the Twins game and saw the wreckage. It is the saddest thing I've ever seen in person and really puts things into perspective as this was a stretch of road I used to travel every day to and from work. My prayers are out to all involved tonight.

5. So sad. That's one of my biggest fears. Ever get stuck in traffic on a bridge and feel it sway up and down? Hate it.

6. Sadly, latest reports are that nearly 50 cars are submerged, under debris and the working assumption is that there are add'l casualties, in the 20-30 range. Authorities have re-classified their efforts from 'rescue' to 'recovery' which is not a good sign.

Some CNN pictures via I-Reporters.

7. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    this IS the weirdest thing i've seen in a while... can you imagine free falling in your car? i've been over that bridge several times too... crazy stuff

8. We're flying to the Cities next week - this should be eery. I've driven over that section quite a few times over the years and I can't believe that it could just drop like that.

When I was a freshman majoring in engineering, one of my first classes was taught by a professor who would show a slow-motion film of the Tacoma Narrows bridge collapsing due to mechanical resonance from wind. It lasted for several minutes and then the lights would come on and the prof would say, "That is why we do not curve grades in this school."

9. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

A similar thing happened on the bridge from South Padre Island to the mainland some years ago I believe. My wife told me that people on the news said you could see brake lights on the way down to the water. This type of thing makes me cringe. My prayers go out to all those poor people and their families.

10. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    It's one of my active nightmares - bridges that won't hold and my car will go down in the water. I always think about it when I'm on a bridge.
    I couldn't believe my eyes , watching the news. Poor poor people, I feel for them all. I've been over a bridge in a different area between Davenport and Moline over the Mississippi many times. This is traumatizing for ..well everyone with a car pretty much. Horrible , just horrible.

There will certainly be more causalities, I'm sad to say.