1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

i admit i am hopeless with flash and my D700 any tips appreciated

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by splitpin, Aug 1, 2009.

1. splitpin

splitpin

Jul 29, 2009
    England
    i am going out later with my D700 and i want to try my sb600

it will be late evening dull and overcast/raining [come on this is England in august]

its a open air rock concert on a truck,i have a selection of lens and a diffuser
    whats the best settings on the camera and flash to give some atmosphere.
    i hate the clean flash stuff.

thanks, put it here as its specifically for my D700 :biggrin:

2. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    If there are no ceilings or walls to bounce the flash from, the diffuser will not help. It will "eat" about a stop of light, so I guess you'll get better results without it.

There is a great post about flash made by a fellow member Desmond somewhere in the General discussion area.

I'd start with rear curtain sync, TTL/BL mode and then I'd dial the flash power down to -1.7 EV for starters. Matrix metering. Check your histograms. I would probably not use Auto ISO. A large bouncecard might be handy.

3. splitpin

splitpin

Jul 29, 2009
    England
    a or p mode?

just had a fiddle used p, red eye seems to slow it down a lot

what does rear curtain mean/do

i didnt know the flash set its size as i zoomed the lens cool

4. If this is a out in the open, no walls around, daytime gig then I recommend using the flash as fill-flash.

Which basically means using the flash the purpose of ONLY lightening the shadows and not as a main light. The sun is your main light but he flash will lighten up those dark shadows under hats or things similar.

pforsale is right, if it is outdoor daytime event, dial down your flash power. I believe he recommended -1.7 EV. I would start off at -.7 and dial it down and see what results you get.

5. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    I would start with M mode and turn all redeye thingies off.
    Read this short article about front/rear curtain sync:
    http://www.shortcourses.com/use/using6-2.html

6. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Why not not use flash at all ? :wink:

7. Max Power

Max Power

Jan 11, 2009
    St Paul, MN
    I always use rear curtain synch. Poor mans way of bringing the background back into it while shooting in aperture priority.

8. kaska

kaska

Apr 17, 2009
    NY
    lol, I haven't even put on a flash on my d700 since I got it. I was too busy testing out the iso capability that i forgot the d700 even has a hotshoe.

9. Giac

Giac

Apr 8, 2008
    Netherlands
    When making pics on an Open Air I don't use flash at all.
    Abundantly flashing can make artists/people very angry at the poor photographer.
    In our festivals using SRL-lenses is mostly not allowed at all.

Anyway, wishing you much succes with your pics,
    Giac.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.