I am a dork

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VoidRaven, Aug 5, 2007.

1. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    Yes, when's the last time you saw a thread titled that?

Tonight I finally realized why I've been having such an issue with pics looking blah on any other monitor than mine. Seems dork-o-me was opening up everything from my D200 (which shoots in sRGB) in PSCS3 Camera Raw with camera raw using Adobe 1998 color space....and saving it with the Adobe color profile too!

In a random blind test of two identical images (just saved in different color spaces) sent to five friends across the country so far, two of the five that have replied back have said the sRGB one looks MUCH better than the one under Adobe 1998.

*sigh*...I am a dork!

Ok, I feel better now. Thanks for listening to me pound my head on the wall. What a newbie mistake. Ah well, live and learn, right?

Onward and upward!

And just for the heck of it....let's see if folks here concur or if I just made an even bigger dork out of myself.

Image with Adobe 1998 color profile

blackteamheadingoutD-A.

Same image with sRGB color profile

View attachment 109746

2. Shoot in Adobe RGB but save in sRGB. For sure the second image looks much better.

3. Use sRGB for web images, and AdobeRGB for print, and your dorkness will be gone!

4. On my Mac the first image looks better - deeper, richer color.

5. We all have dork moments! Well, I bet Gordon doesn't. ;)

6. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

If only 2 out of 5 says it's better, doesn't maths tell you that 3 out of 5 think otherwise ? Or is that your 'dork' moment :smile: ?

7. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Same on my Mac.

8. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    Well, all five have come back now and said the second one looks better....but all five are using Microsoft machines. On my PC here at work the second pic looks better.

I am *very* intrigued that the Mac users here all say that the first image looks better. Especially since all my photo work at home is done on an iMac. Hmmm....the mystery deepens. I don't think I'll ever understand technology.

9. Don, don't be too hard on yourself-the mistake you made is pretty common.

I'm guessing the members who are viewing on Macs are using Safari, which is color space aware, so aRGB images display properly.

BTW, #2 looks better on my PC.

10. Correction on my post above... unless you are sending it out to be printed... then most labs prefer sRGB, but ask them first.

11. Mr. Dickerson is 100% correct. It's unfortunate that not all browsers, regardless of platform, are color aware.

12. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    Thanks everyone....not so much being hard on myself as more like having the "DOH!" moment after racking my brain for weeks trying to figure out the issue. The light in the attic is on now, though, so all should be well. At least until the next problem!

Gonna do everything sRGB from here on out for most consistency. Especially since some of the people I've done web images for use PC's versus Mac's. It is interesting that more browsers are not color space aware. I wonder if that will ever change?

13. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

14. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Well, according to the news, Angelina and Brad's kids think that they are dorks so you are in good (looking) company !!!!!!

15. On my Dell laptop running Vista the first picture is richer and more vibrant. I much prefer it over the second one.

Mike

16. Ah, well... maybe once?:biggrin::wink:

17. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Show me someone who understands color spaces, and I'll show you a liar.:tongue: j/k the stuff is ridiculous though. Been having color management issues since the 80's. I still do color managemnet the OLD way...looking at my work from 7 different computers and adjusting for the best compromise. Same with printing. I am very suspect of people that are too sure of themselves with regards to color space.

Not that you shouldn't investigate and get your setting sthe way you like them, but as far as a logic behind it all? you can probably guess what I think of it. Anyway, it's no dork moment at all. You did exactly what you thought was best given the limited information.

18. We used to have a member "Iliah", who is/was the ultimate expert on color management, unfortunately Iliah has not been around for awhile. In following his posts we all learned quite a lot. So, my suggestion would be to dig up some of the topics that he started or commented on and you will be a lot wiser...

19. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    Herman...I will look up his postings and see what information lies there-in. Thanks for the tip.

Mike Savage...Well now, that is interesting. Is your monitor color calibrated or anything like that? Hmmm, very interesting.

20. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Both images look exactly the same with the colour aware Safari on my IMac and I am pleased that is the case as it indicates the colour management is working correctly.

Viewing with the colour blind Firefox, The second is far more vibrant.