I am at a cross road. Buy a D2x or D2HS

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by craigcappy, Jul 7, 2005.

1. I am at a crossroad. I have two D1X bodies currently. One of my cameras will not turn on and I have to make a decision on getting it repaired or buying a new camera. The camera that needs to be repaired does not have the buffer upgrade on it. I have had the camera for over three years and have had one major repair done to it already. Like a high mile used car, you began to wonder if it is worth putting in $ 350 -$400 dollars into the camera knowing what the street value is on a working D1X in good working condition.

My decision is to buy a new camera. I shoot high school and college sports in low light situations on a regular bases. My question to this forum is "can the D2X hold up in low light photography, or should I look at the D2Hs?" I have been to many sites looking for low light D2X sporting photographs. I have not seen more than two or three photographs. Can anyone comment on how this camera performs under high school and division 2 lighting? Paring this camera with a 200 mm f2, and shooting at 1600 ISO give me a useable photograph?

I like the fact that the D2X can shoot a football or soccer game with a telephoto lens, it can get high frame rates, and the 2.0x gain of shooting using this cameras high-speed crop mode. I can then switch back to normal mode and get higher resolution stills of an individual player is a dream come true.

I would appreciate everyone’s comments.

2. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Someone I know online who referred me to this forum has both the D2X and D2HS. He prefers using the D2HS for better ISO performance and agrees with Ron Reznick on this.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    What would be most helpful are ISO 1200-1600 shots from the cameras in poor lighting.

I cover night baseball (Single A, nice new stadiums). For night games I start at ISO 400, am at ISO 800 by the 2nd or 3rd and Iso 1250-1600 by the 5th inning.

Using the d2h I have learned to live with it (and I process out noise in post). In my situation an f/2 lens would give me ISO 800 and would be awesome, while in your situation you have even poorer light.

Now, this d2x issue throws me for a loop too, as I currently need more range on the field and am debating on big dollar (huge dollar actually) glass like the 400/2.8 so I don;t have to crop so heavily on my d2h. Using the 70-200VR at 200 I often have to crop down to 25% of my original image, leaving few pixels.

Anyway the 2X crop and extra pixels are something to seriously consider if your glass does not allow you to currently fill the frame with your subject I think.

Ron's noise comparisons are illustrative, but I dunno if they are applicable. You will note in his methods he over exposued by one stop to protec the shadows, then brought the exposure down in post. This reduces noice in the apparent image, but for a sports photography situation is impractical as the reason you are shooting at ISO 1600 i nthe first place is to guarantee shutter speeds to stop action, and pushing EV +1 stop defeats that.

Anyway, I would love to see similar shots at ISO 1250-1600 in a sports situation (fast action, non pro lighting) to know the difference, but those may be hard to come by.

7. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    I'm sorry man, but unfortunately I can not help you out with what camera you should buy. But I think that all of these camera's are one buy one dream shooters. But if you want to use the D2x for sports photography I think it is perfectly up for the job. I want to share the following picture. This photographer carries 2 D2x's both loaded with huge lenses.
    [​IMG]

Good Luck with the camera's

Johan

8. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    I'm sorry man, but unfortunately I can not help you out with what camera you should buy. But I think that all of camera's are one by one dream shooters. But if you want to use the D2x for sports photography I think it is perfectly up for the job. I want to share the following picture. This photographer carries 2 D2x's both loaded with huge lenses.
    [​IMG]

Good Luck with the camera's

Johan

9. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Oh Yeah, and the next photographer is a huge fan of the D2x as well.
    www.creativephotoart.nl This guy shoots for car magazines and snaps race cars as well.

Cheers

Johan

10. I agree with you. I have a 300 2.8, 200 f2 and 70-200VR. My work horse now is the 200 f2 for night shooting. I want the range the D2X brings to any evening sporting event. The quality that the 200 F2 brings to low light photography is amazing. As you stated, I would like to be able to see what this camera can do @ 1600 ISO with a 2.8 lens. I can work on the noise if there is any quality at all. This is the camera that I want, the question is can I make it work in poor lighting.

11. Thanks for you comment. That photo breaks my heart! I have seen what that camera can do! Day time shooting with that type of glass is a dream come true to me also.

12. Here is a sample of a 3200 ISO on the D2X and a noise fix using Neat Image and Noiseware, my favorite noise remover next to Neat Image coming a close second.

I really love the X and would not trade it in for anything but then again that is only my opinion. I feel that you need to make the decision that is right for you but if it helps you make a decision, I would go for the X.

13. :D Thank you for taking the time to showing us those examples. There is no question that the photo that you took using a NR program made the photo you took very workable. Question: Did you have the NR turned on your D2X when you took the photo? This is a good example with good ambient light.

:arrow: I am hoping that someone could post a shot with NR on the D2X and turn off with the D2X, under high school stadium lighting, using a 320 shutter.

14. Hi Craig, Your welcome.

I didn't use NR on the X when I took these pictures. I only used Noiseware on the second one and Neat Image on the third one.

Hope this helps.

15. Craig, I currently shoot a D2H and am also shooting an indoor Pro Football Team, Everett Hawks NIFL this season. I have a friend who has recently purchased a D2X, I'll see if I can talk him into a side-by-side of high ISO between my D2H and his D2X, maybe I can get him to the stadium for some "in action" images. This actually is something I need to do myself, as I find that I am in a quandry at present. It may take me a week or so to get it done, in the meantime I can see if he has any representative files that we might compare. We shot side-by-side yesterday in some crummy lighting, but I'm not sure what the ISO's were. Drop me a PM or an Email and I'll let you know what I can find quickly.

As Paul, MontyDog, noted we shot side-by-side a week ago Sunday, but we also had quite good light. Should still be interesting to see however, as soon as I get off my butt and get them processed :oops:

16. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
  17. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I concur with the "1 stop better" conclusion. Been able to do useful photography with 6400 ISO (HI-2) on a D2HS, with some judicious post-processing the images came out great.

Faster lenses might on the other hand be better than a camera with slightly less noise.

18. Craig,

I am more than happy to take a some pics with the X using the NR on the camera and let you see them before and after using another NR program if you want me too.

Just let me know.