I am currently a Canon Shooter

Hi folks,

I am currently a Canon shooter. Using a 7D which is one beast of a camera and I have enjoyed it very much. When I was starting into the DSLR world couple of years ago, I was put off by the fact that the other famous Nikon forum is a paid website. My further search resulted in an excellent Canon forum with some real good folks on it that helped me improve my photography skills, helped me choose new gear, listen to my rants, etc. In summary my experience has been a good one.

Since my first choice was a Nikon camera (at the time I had my heart set on D90) I keep reading stuff about Nikon and tonight I stumbled upon this forum. I am glad there are free alternatives to the paid forum.

I have sold almost all of my Canon gear. except a couple of accessories. I intend to either move up the Canon line (getting a full frame and a couple of L Lenses). The only problem is that I am thinking about shifting to Nikon and I do not want to get into the Nikon vs Canon cameras. They both produce fantastic results. My concern with Canon L lenses is their attention grabbing colour. I would prefer the all black Nikons. I am not a pro but would consider myself advanced enthusiast who has a stron desire to learn and excel. I have shot a few weddings as a second/third shooter though. I am primarily looking the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 50mm 1.4, and a Sigma 16-50mm OS f2.8. I have heard/read some issues with the 70-200mm lens (inside plastic coating peeling off, focal range reducing to 135mm at the closest focusing distance, etc). Not sure how much to read into this.

While I sort of already know what lenses I want, I am really confused about the body. It doesn't seem like any existing crop body from Nikon can give match 7D's fps along with 1080p. I played with D300s for a bit and liked the ergonomics although must say that the back side seemed a bit too busy. Too many small sized buttons VS Canon's big dial which was quite easy to use. I can afford a D700 but I know that both of these cameras are about to be replaced and if D300s replacement is going to surpass 7D, then I'd rather wait for it. In the meantime I am without a camera and summer is around the corner.

Sorrey for the long winded post but thought to get the best recommendations, I should provide as much information as I can. My typical photography subjects: birds in flight, my kids playing in park, beach, etc, family portraits, occasional wedding shoots, and soon to be sports photography as well. This is why I had purchased 7D to begin with which was sort of do-it-all camera.

I look forward to hear your suggestions and recommendations.

Hi, welcome to the forum.
Can i ask why you sold the 7d and all your equipment if it was working well for you? Im just wondering.
Well if you are deciding to go nikon, it looks like you were planning to go full frame with canon anyway so why not just wait for the d700 replacement?
Itll give you more time to save up if you need to.
Im not sure when it comes out or the pricing though..
As for the d300s replacement, i dont think it will far surpass the 7d that it was worth selling the gear.
Well this is all just my opinion. Hth
Oh and for the summer i guess you can either suffer without a camera, borrow one, get an ok p&s, or go ahead and get the d700.
Gl with whatever you decide. Im sure there will be more people chiming in to help you out.

Real Name
Chris
Hey Datawiz,

Since you have sold all your Canon stuff, why not check out what Nikon has to offer? Or get more Canon stuff. Both work, and there are other options as well, or so i have heard. In any event, welcome to the Cafe! The folks here shoot all kinds of cameras. You will find enthusiasts of whatever you want. Post some more and do give us a sampling of what you like to shoot. The pictures tell the tale!

Welcome to the cafe. All Nikon and Canon cameras are excellent, you cannot go wrong there. I'd suggest you check the availability and price of the lenses and accessories that you require and pick your brand after that.

I shoot Nikon 98% of the time, but I also have the Canon 5D "classic" with a couple of lenses, plus some old medium format film gear. Pick what best works for you.

Switching brands can be costly and most of the time is not worth it. I have a lifetime supply of Nikon gear and there is nothing that would make me sell any of it. I may add some off-brand gear sometime in the future, or not, but it isn't anything that I'd lose sleep over. Switch? No way.

I shoot both systems and I like both systems and think each have some advantages but you can not go wrong with either.

What I see happening here is...the new nikon may be better then the existing canon, but wait 6 months and that will change and so on and so on....this can become very very expensive!

I can see your concern over the lens color mostly a concern in the longer focal lengths not sure if that is a good reason to switch?????

My advice list out what you need from a system and see what matches best and then try to be content for 3-5 years, You will always find the next best thing out there and someone could spend more time selling and buying and never fully learn the potential of what you have.

Just my thoughts you may totally disagree!

Oh boy do your questions speak to me!
Hi folks,

I am currently a Canon shooter. Using a 7D which is one beast of a camera and I have enjoyed it very much. When I was starting into the DSLR world couple of years ago, I was put off by the fact that the other famous Nikon forum is a paid website. My further search resulted in an excellent Canon forum with some real good folks on it that helped me improve my photography skills, helped me choose new gear, listen to my rants, etc. In summary my experience has been a good one.
I was shooting with a 7D and 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens and I agree: Wonderful camera! I am a member of that Canon forum with the same user name as here.
I have sold almost all of my Canon gear. except a couple of accessories. I intend to either move up the Canon line (getting a full frame and a couple of L Lenses). The only problem is that I am thinking about shifting to Nikon and I do not want to get into the Nikon vs Canon cameras. They both produce fantastic results. My concern with Canon L lenses is their attention grabbing colour. I would prefer the all black Nikons. I am not a pro but would consider myself advanced enthusiast who has a stron desire to learn and excel. I have shot a few weddings as a second/third shooter though. I am primarily looking the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 50mm 1.4, and a Sigma 16-50mm OS f2.8. I have heard/read some issues with the 70-200mm lens (inside plastic coating peeling off, focal range reducing to 135mm at the closest focusing distance, etc). Not sure how much to read into this.
I do in fact shoot weddings now (as a 2nd) and after conferring with the photographer about my decision she was a little "bummed" (No more lens sharing) but also remembered my shots with the D90 were very usable when I used it in the past.
While I sort of already know what lenses I want, I am really confused about the body. It doesn't seem like any existing crop body from Nikon can give match 7D's fps along with 1080p. I played with D300s for a bit and liked the ergonomics although must say that the back side seemed a bit too busy. Too many small sized buttons VS Canon's big dial which was quite easy to use. I can afford a D700 but I know that both of these cameras are about to be replaced and if D300s replacement is going to surpass 7D, then I'd rather wait for it. In the meantime I am without a camera and summer is around the corner.
Ok here I go: I decided the D7000 with a 16-85mm VR lens would keep me in the game. Does it match up against the 7D in all aspects? Well no of course not. 8fps was one thing that made me the "main" shooter for bouquet and garter tosses since the photographer I shot with used a 5D MkII and was hopelessly outclassed in the fps department. While the D7000 "only" shoots 6fps I will be at a disadvantage but hey, I will be close. As for video: The D7000 does 1080P but it has less options than the 7D in terms of fps. But at the end of the day video was not a concern for me. Now if I was looking to do indie film shooting I would think differently.

And let me tell you, the metering system in the Nikon still walks ahead of Canon. I can remember how easy the D90 handled that over the 40D I was using at the time. And I feel the same way about the D7000 over the 7D.

Personally I prefer the bulk of the 7d over the "pinky dangling" size of the D7000. So I will be getting a grip ASAP.

And I will have to address a lens in the f/2.8 range and larger for some of the wedding pics. Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS or a 35mm f/1.8 prime coming,,,,

The speedlite is the other factor. I have a month to get one. If I can convince the photographer to pay me "upfront" for the June shoot I will grab a SB700. My experience with the SB600 was good and I am sure the SB700 will do just fine.

And as to the controls: Over the years I have shot multiple Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Sigma bodies. The control layout is something that (for me anyway) is a minor point. No different than getting a new car and having the controls different from your last one. Even from the same company. I find it hysterical when I hear a (Insert company name here) shooter talk about the (Insert another company name here) say how the controls are not "intuitive". Really?, Well no kidding **** Tracy. Believe me, you will adapt. And in shorter order than you think.

In all other aspects I have NO regrets in moving back to Nikon. The photographer I shoot with actually asked how soon Nikon was going to be "upgrading" the mp count in their D3/D700 line. :smile:
Sorrey for the long winded post but thought to get the best recommendations, I should provide as much information as I can. My typical photography subjects: birds in flight, my kids playing in park, beach, etc, family portraits, occasional wedding shoots, and soon to be sports photography as well. This is why I had purchased 7D to begin with which was sort of do-it-all camera.

I look forward to hear your suggestions and recommendations.
I will be watching for your future posts on this. With the exception of birds and sports you and I should be able to offer spot on advice to each other. Just know that I am financially limited due to medical bills, but I will try to keep up! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom