I Am Humbled By Friendship

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eng45ine, Oct 20, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    A couple of weeks ago, I was editing some images with PS Elements 3 when a passing thunderstorm sent a bolt of lightning very close to my home and the resulting power surge fried a portion of my computer. After several minutes of trying to re-boot the machine, it did come on but I was no longer able to connect to the internet, the built-in media card reader did not work and the USB ports did not recognize anything that I plugged into them. I contacted my ISP and they ran me through a few tests to ensure that their service and modem were functioning properly. With that information, they refered me to Microsoft to check their software. After about 25 minutes, the Microsoft folks said that I needed a new Ethernet card and referred me to The Geek Squad at Best Buy. They had my computer for three days and said that it was fine. I brought it home and still could not connect to the internet. I brought it back and they fussed with it for an hour with me watching...only to conclude that they had no clue what could be wrong (maybe a motherboard and/or power supply). I announced on this forum that I would be off-line for a while because my computer was down due to the surge and I had to wait until my new computer arrived in a week or so. Well, that was until Patrick Bramlett offered to help resolve my computer problems. He called me at home and spent about a half-hour talking me through a few tests and functions, but within that time...he was able to connect me back to the internet. Then he set out to repair my USB ports that would not recognize anything that I plugged into them. He ended up mailing me a new USB PCI card that I plugged in and now I have a computer that works as good as new.
    Patrick, I cannot thank you enough for, not only your knowledge and expertise, but also for your willingness to get involved with someone elses problem and asking nothing in return. I knew when I joined the Cafe, that I would learn alot about photography and gain some wonderful acquaintances, I have received so much more than that. I hope that I can offer to someone what you offered to me over the past few days. You are truly a wonderful friend and I appreciate all that you offered to me.

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank,
    You brought tears to my eyes as I read your post. It is so nice that Patrick was able to help you get back up and running. I appreciate him for so many reasons, but it's so wonderful when I see how much others appreciate him. He is a wonderful loving father and husband. He is generous with his time and talents to those who matter to him, as you have witnessed first hand. The most wonderful thing is that he does what he does out of the goodness of his heart, not for recognition or applaud. He is a true friend and a genuinely good person...anyone that knows him, finds this out at one time or another.

Right after Patrick and I got married, my brother was traveling in a rental Ryder truck. Somehow, Robby (my brother) ran out of gas. He called Patrick and Patrick got up and got dressed (it was about 2:00 in the morning in the dead of winter) and headed out for the 1 1/2 hour drive to where my brother and his new wife were stranded. They worked for about 2 hours in freezing temperatures trying to get the truck going again (which unfortunately it ended up having to be towed back). It was snowing and Patrick had worked all day the previous day. He never complained. He crawled back into bed when he got home feeling like an ice cube. He ended up getting about 2 hours of sleep before he had to get up and go to work the next day. Again, he never complained. I asked him about it later and he said " I do it because I can and I love to help people". This people, is a really special man I'm married to!

Thanks Frank, for standing up and letting others know just how wonderful he is...as it might seem a bit biased for me to stand up and do it since I'm married to him (I'm so lucky!).

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gee, I wish he was that nice to me. :Sad:

Just kidding....Patrick really is a fine young man, and one that I'm very glad to call a friend. :smile:

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Patrick practises what I believe in: Pay it forward. Do what you can do for others - it always comes back in spades! Keep passing this along folks and the world will be a much better place for all....

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005

Frank,

Thank you for the nice post. I'm truely flattered at your kind words. I can't always help with people and their photography questions but I try to offer what assistance that I can in the areas that I'm comfortable in.

You are a Firefighter/EMT and put your life on the line while on call and I appreciate what you do for your community and our country. If I can help just a little bit to anyone I try to. For its people like you that are the true role models.

You are a good friend and a great member of the cafe. This place is full of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure of speaking, crying, laughing, and sharing our hobby with together.

Thanks again,

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Flew, Paul, and Sandi,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love you all. You are all such great people that I am happy to call my friends.

Leigh,

Thanks baby, I'm so fortunate. You are the best and I'm glad we share our lives together.

Regards to all.

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Leigh...I knew from the moment Patrick said hello to me on the telephone the other day, that he is an incredibly gifted person. Not just because he knows his way around a computer or some other device, but because I sensed that he rolled up his sleeves and was ready and willing to help someone who was in need. He was very patient with my unfortunate lack of computer savy and was determined to get my computer operating again. We tried so many different things that I could never remember what exactly we actually did, but I knew that Patrick wasn't hanging up without exhausting his every option. After re-connecting me with the internet, he told me what I needed to purchase next to resolve some other issues and ended up sending me the part (without paying for it up front) so I could install it and see if it worked for me. Patrick acted so unselfishly in my time of need and I will always appreciate his willingness to get involved in my predicament. Good friends are hard to come by in these days when people are trying so hard to stay afloat themselves, it's great to know that there are still people willing to help others so unselfishly. Leigh, you and the boys have a great guy with you...thanks for sharing him with us!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Patrick was very kind and helped me also. :>))

Good folks that Patrick and Leigh :>)))))))

10. Hi Frank,

That's fantastic that Patrick got you back up and running. He is a truly wonderful guy. As are you by the way! I still remember your kind PM to me shortly after I became a member of the Cafe. Who would have thought a Cubs fan could be so decent? :wink:

So....good on you, and good on Patrick. The Cafe is a place of friendship.

Best wishes,

David

11. Way to go Patrick. You guys have created a very special place here.

12. Wonderful post, wonderful people. It's my privilege to know all of you.

13. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Actually Rory, its folks like you and the rest of the membership that make this a great place.

Thanks again,

14. I second all of this as it relates to Patrick and his lovely wife Leigh. I consider them friends.

15. Patrick is simply an awesome friend. Then we cant forget Frank, Uncle Frank, Rich Gibson, Paul, Gordon, Gale, geez, this is going to take forever... :wink:

Patrick saved my photos when my hd's took a powder. He's da bomb! :Bomb:

16. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    As I've heard said before....

"Good onya, all y'all" :biggrin: