1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I am in need of a Bird ID please

Discussion in 'Birds' started by ArtScott, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    This was shot with D300+BIGMA on the run.....bird was that is.....i was using a 2.5" weeping willow trunk as my stabilizer:biggrin:
    [​IMG]

I knw it is not a Wilson's Snipe:biggrin: leegs too long, bill's too short, and the wrong color.....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanx in advance.

2. looks like a Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea)

3. Lighting is not good, but I think it is a reddish egret, not a little blue heron. Look at the neck - it is definitely red and the beak has that dark black end.

look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reddish_Egret

4. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    hey guys thanx.....do believe it is the blue......but od they have the very reddish on the necks also......
    If I can find it again and get a better shot I will if the lighting is about the same I will try to get D-lighting turned on first to compensate for the back lighting........

The consensus at the other forum is blue heron also......but what dso they know most of them shoot ca...........nnnnnnon.....can't hardly even spell it let alone say it .......PPPPPppffffffffftttttt!!!!
    Except for Harry in Wildlife and he thinks blue also:biggrin:

Thanx again

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Heck, stranger birds have been seen in different locations,

Just check for plumage type at the red chest feathers (fluffy and longish), and greenish leg colors, the easiest things to spot.

I have heard of reds in the Mississippi river valley, but never seen one this far north or got a shot at one.

6. Interesting thread. I had not noticed that the OP'er was from Kansas and I agree that reddish egrets are not generally found that far north (not a lot of salt water in KS, I believe), but I sure would like to know from Art if the photo was actually taken in KS since Kansans do occasionally visit the south. :biggrin: Is there anything I missed where Art said that the sighting was in Kansas?

I am really scratching my head about the ID. Seems I am outnumbered and I am willing to defer to others who are more experienced birders, but boy oh boy, that neck and that beak sure do look like a reddish to me. On the other hand, there does not seem to be any pink in the beak and the legs of the subject do appear more green than blue which would support the heron ID.

Just having a lot of difficulty with that red neck. I have never seen a blue heron with that pronounced a red neck. Maybe it is just the lighting.

Art - was the shot made in Kansas??

7. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    I was 5 minutes from downtown Wichita, KS at a park...

...I only processed in LR2 and was in the Vib/Sat module when i realized the water had gone from nasty greenish brown to blue I backed way off and the red is now way less than what I started to post....:biggrin:.......I had that moment of damn that looks so good....ahhhh sh** that water was not that pretty azure blue but a greenish brown.......I quit shooting Raw with a large jpg since coming over to Nikon.....had to do that with the KM's as you could not magnify with the embedded jpg in the raw with KM...................

Yeah I have ventured as far south as the Keys the last time I ventured south by land vehicle I spent several hours sitting on Lake Pontchartrain Bridge in a rain storm because of several wrecks.......way before Katrina..........

Thanx for the help everyone.......went looking for this little bugger again tonight and there was no sign of him......................

8. .......went looking for this little bugger again tonight and there was no sign of him......................

Well - if you do manage to find him, be sure to ask him about his lineage.:biggrin:

9. and see if he needs directions! haha

10. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    roflmao U 2 are very funny...........................................:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

maybe i should ask for a green card also

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.