I am Pleased ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MParker, Aug 18, 2008.

1. to have been invited by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (F&WS) to put on display a number of my images taken on the Virginia Eastern Shore, specifically, in and near the Eastern Shore of Virginia National Wildlife Refuge (ESVNWR).

Earlier this year, the new U.S. F&WS Visitor Center Manager at the Refuge asked me if I'd be interested in exhibiting there. I wasn't sure I had enough of the right kind of images since there were some very particular conditions. I showed her some sample images the next day and the rest, as they say, is history.

A reception in their auditorium, to kick off the program, took place last Saturday. It was well attended and I'm glad I attended (since they're my images) but I'm not generally inclined to do these sorts of things. I am not keen on the attention normally.

What impressed me the most about the whole event Saturday was not the opportunity to exhibit my work (which was very very nice), and not the fact that the event was well attended (for which I am most grateful), but, that two of my (our) fellow cafe members, KristinB (Kristin) and jupman (Jeffery) came to Cape Charles this weekend to help and support me. Now that's impressive. I am truely humbled by their support and surrendering their weekends to join me at a two or three hour event. I am forever grateful. Ain't the Cafe great?!?

I have 25 images hanging in the auditorium until about October 15th. If you live or visit in the VA, MD, DC area and decide to go to the southern part of the Eastern Shore please stop by and visit. F&WS can use our support.

Jeffery took a number of images of the event Saturday, a few of them are posted here. The rest are in this PBase gallery http://www.pbase.com/cameraguy21773/esvnwr
    along with a version of each of the images now on display.

My sincerest thanks to Kristin, Jeffery, my family, and friends, for their encouragement and support, and to the Cafe for just being here.

View attachment 240838

View attachment 240839

View attachment 240840

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow! That's a great honor, Mike.

Congratulations!

3. Way to go Mike, it is nice to be recognized in this way.

4. Congrats Mike

Your images are stunning - well deserved you are a very talented photographer. :smile:

5. Mike,
    this is awesome
    we are all proud this accomplishment
    and..... a well-deserved one, at that

great shots
    love the picture of their display, as well

thanks for sharing your success with us

6. VERY COOL Mike!!!!!

Well done..... I'm sure you will end up being a regular!

7. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Yes, the exhibition was absolutely wonderful! :866: Definitely worth a visit.

I was so gratified to see the appreciation that the guests had for Mike's work, and even more so when they began approaching Jeffrey (who had the cameras -- great job on the event photography, btw!) and asking "Are you the photographer? Are these for sale?" We just kept pointing them in Mike's direction. He had cards but was being a little shy about handing them out, LOL. :biggrin: Gwen did a good job of reminding him, though...

Oh, and the couple in the last picture was just lovely, they chatted with us for quite a while -- I think he might be joining us on the Cafe soon!

8. These are wonderful -- both the shots of the event and the actual images which are on display! Congratulations, Mike!!!

9. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Congrats, that is awesome!

10. Way cool and a real honor!!!!

11. Drifter

Drifter

May 7, 2006
    West Virginia
    Congrats Mike !!!

Very nice and well deserved accomplishment.

12. Absolutely wonderful Mike!!! I am so sorry that I couldn't attend. I look forward to seeing the images this Fall!!

Kudos to you Jeff and Kristin!!

13. Wonderful work you are a great asset to the Eastern Shore. See you soon.

John and Nancy

14. Congratulations! Quite an honor.

15. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Congrats on the well deserved honor !

16. GreyBeard

GreyBeard

Oct 7, 2007
    Maryland
    Terrific Mike. Well deserved! We are all very proud of you and your photographic accomplishments.

17. Wow Mike! We are definitely proud of you!

Congrats on having your works displayed. It certainly has opened doors for you and who knows what new doors this will bring you in the future? :smile:

I'm very happy for you, Mike.

18. Thank you Leigh.

Thanks Gordon.

Thank you Dude.

Thanks - it was fun to put together.

Thanks Doug.

And a huge THANKS to you and Jeffery.

Thank you Connie. Hoping to see you in Oct.

Thanks much.

Thanks and yes I think it is an honor too.

Thanks so much

Thanks Crystall - See you in Oct.

I'm a great asset cuz my assets on a huge condo mortgage! :smile:

Thanks from a big fan of your work.

Thanks Rich. I hope will join one of our ES shoots soon, or just come down one weekend and shoot with me.

Thanks Laura - Hope to see you in Oct.

Thanks you David. I tried to include a Lemur in my show but they knew it didn't belong. :rolleyes: 

Thank very much from a fan of your NYC cityscapes, a type of imagery I don't do well.

19. Congratulations Mike...
    lovely photos...
    a really great honor!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.