I am such a freekin wannabe

I just ordered Business cards and I am not even a pro, never sold anything.
I figured that I would appear more legit and it would give me more confidence to shoot people in the street.
I can ask them for a shot ( after I have taken any candids I want ), then give them the card and tell them they can look for their pics on my site.

I guess it's a way of getting a little further into the game.

Question though.
If I send people to my site to look, I wonder what would be the best way for them to find their pics. Should I be making a gallery with a specific name like latest people shots or something, and put it under featured galleries ?

Any ideas for that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
floyd

Front of Card:
p230145739.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back of Card:
p259775549.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Can not see these, the images say "Content Protected by Owner" Try logging out of the site hosting the pictures and then viewing them here again to see the error. You probably need to enable some kind of public view on the site hosting these.

Paul

Can not see these, the images say "Content Protected by Owner" Try logging out of the site hosting the pictures and then viewing them here again to see the error. You probably need to enable some kind of public view on the site hosting these.

Paul

Thank you Paul.
I hope you all can see it now.

If this works for you then great, but remember that it's really just a placebo.

Confidence comes from shooting over and over again (and even then some might never feel comfortable shooting strangers withouth their permission) not from a paper card that you'll give (or not) after taking a photo. :wink:

If this works for you then great, but remember that it's really just a placebo.

Confidence comes from shooting over and over again (and even then some might never feel comfortable shooting strangers withouth their permission) not from a paper card that you'll give (or not) after taking a photo. :wink:

I was thinking more than placebo. I was thinking that since I am offering something tangible with my name, email address and a place where they can see their own photo, that it would make a better experience. It would make them more comfortable that I am not just some noname perv or something, and give them something to look forward to ( a possible nice pic of themselves ).

At the same time it may generate mild interest in my site.

Last week was the first time ever that I had the nerve to ask someone on the street if I can take their picture. I'd like to do it again and thought this may be a good idea all around for that.

I've also had a few people here and there asking me about where my pictures are online. I could just give them a card now.

Thanks,
floyd

I would keep your business card simple - nothing on the back - for me, when I get a card from another, I often write something on the back to help me remember something important about the meeting.

On my cards, I keep it simple - my name, cell ph, home ph, email, and website. My own photo is on my cards - that helps to remember faces with names.

get out there and print up your best shots! I can't stress that enough because I'm very guilty about that myself! Then take those prints (8x10 for example) and put them in a portfolio. I even have some of my "portfolio" on my IPhone.

On the website issue - if you have a photo session with XYZ family, then password protect that session for them - perhaps have 1 or 2 favs they don't mind the public being able to view for reference.

Okay, I'll shut up, good luck and just so you'll know - I've learned most of what I've learned the hard way, I've lost great mentors, friends, etc over being so darned stupid.:redface:

Oh I doubt that you're stupid Dianne. Just humble. :))

Thanks a lot for your advice. I thought about putting my picture on the card and decided against it. It was hard trying to find a picture to put on it that wasn't so busy that it washed out the writing.
Good idea about leaving the back blank. Maybe next batch. :smile:

Thanks again for takin the time Dianne.

Oh I doubt that you're stupid Dianne. Just humble. :))

Thanks a lot for your advice. I thought about putting my picture on the card and decided against it. It was hard trying to find a picture to put on it that wasn't so busy that it washed out the writing.
Good idea about leaving the back blank. Maybe next batch. :smile:

Thanks again for takin the time Dianne.

Well, I did forget to mention one thing - that's a very cute kitty!:biggrin:

LOL. Thank you. I know you like the cats. Elsa is 15 years old, a Bengal and a real runt. but she does have some real nice coloring and pretty green eyes and is a sweetheart !

Floyd, i definitely think it adds a modicum of legitimacy to your street. I do it at times & it makes people think your for real! Don't get me wrong, any schmuck can use this as an in to work their B.S., but for the most part people can read your sincerity & if they don't, you thank them for their brief moment of time & move on! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Keep Pushing Brotha!
P.S. Steven James in the above post idea is perfect!

I think its a good idea Floyd. People are always (well, not always perhaps, but very often) asking me where they can see the picture I've just taken of them, so a card with your website addy on it is the ideal thing.

Whether it gives you more confidence to shoot people; yes, I think it will help. Its not the only important thing, as you obviously know, but every little bit helps.

Good luck: I'm looking forward to seeing some stunning candids!

Nothing wrong with cards at all. As far as the site, perhaps you can sort it by the neighborhood you took the photos in. If you are posting alot of images that may be the easiest way for your subject to search for theirs.

Create a "Candids" gallery and have the photo's displayed by date shot/descending so the most recent will be first.

Steve

Thanks Steve, good idea. I wasn't sure if it is still a 'candid' if a shot is asked for beforehand, but I get the idea. I can have a folder called 'recent candids' or something. Thanks.

Floyd, i definitely think it adds a modicum of legitimacy to your street. I do it at times & it makes people think your for real! Don't get me wrong, any schmuck can use this as an in to work their B.S., but for the most part people can read your sincerity & if they don't, you thank them for their brief moment of time & move on! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Keep Pushing Brotha!
P.S. Steven James in the above post idea is perfect!

Thanks Brotha. I can always count on you to keep it real.

I think its a good idea Floyd. People are always (well, not always perhaps, but very often) asking me where they can see the picture I've just taken of them, so a card with your website addy on it is the ideal thing.

Whether it gives you more confidence to shoot people; yes, I think it will help. Its not the only important thing, as you obviously know, but every little bit helps.

Good luck: I'm looking forward to seeing some stunning candids!

Thanks Peter. Yea that was part of it, having something so people can remember how to get to my site. ( for me, if I say 'photos.fwellers.com' it's easy to remember. But even my wife keeps asking me. haha.

Nothing wrong with cards at all. As far as the site, perhaps you can sort it by the neighborhood you took the photos in. If you are posting alot of images that may be the easiest way for your subject to search for theirs.

Thanks Glenn. Hey good idea, if I get around to doing a lot by neighborhoods someday. I've been trying to think of a good longer term project for myself. Something along the neighborhood lines does have some potential for me.

Thanks again !

Floyd, You should set up protected galleries on your site that are password protected where you can give out the password to your clients. Your clients may not appreciate that the photos are available for public viewing.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom