I am THE GREATEST photographer of all time... I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm really really ridiculously good at photography. I hope you all either agree or serve me up some extreme humble pie.
.... I love pie.

Cat+Toledo.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a cat... FROM SPAIN!

DSC_0039.jpg

This is the coast... OF FRANCE!

europe+pics+438.jpg

This is a little boy running... IN TEROUAN MOROCCO!

DSC_0134.jpg

This is a hall full of art abservers... IN PARIS!

DSC01262.jpg

These are some evening flowers... IN OAKLAND CALIFORNIA... ok that wasn't as impressive.

These photos are a bit old but I just found them today so I thought I would post them, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE if someone went to my photo blog and just tell me if my portraits are good enough to start doing events...

WHAT DO YA THINK??

www.griffithjonesphotography.blogspot.com

if you were the greatest, youd remember to take two exposures of the paris shot and ps them effectively to seperate the people from each other. also way too much uneccessary ceiling. the cat's nice, id like to have a shallower depth of field but it still works. the flowers one...well idk about that one. the mountains/hills in the back are more interesting. and there is too much foreground as it doesnt catch the viewers eye as much as the background does. you shoot film much? if not ur wb is off.

if you were the greatest, youd remember to take two exposures of the paris shot and ps them effectively to seperate the people from each other. also way too much uneccessary ceiling. the cat's nice, id like to have a shallower depth of field but it still works. the flowers one...well idk about that one. the mountains/hills in the back are more interesting. and there is too much foreground as it doesnt catch the viewers eye as much as the background does. you shoot film much? if not ur wb is off.

In my opinion, the people actually make the Paris shot into what it is. Without them, it's empty.

my $0.02 (please remember you asked):

the sky off the coast of France looks flat compared to the highly contrasty foreground.

the running kid is ok'ish, but might have been better if the kid was in the patch of light a little further down to better separate his head from the background.

the hall full of art observers doesn't tell me anything except the camera went off inside an art gallery. what was the exhibition? how were people reacting to this fabulous art they're being confronted with? why do i care so much about the parquetry floors and skylights?

the california wildflowers is a nice try, but a little overflashed in the forground and some sort of middle distance interest might spice it up (someone on a horse comes to mind). the two mostly chopped off thistle flowers in the very bottom should either be fully included or chopped out altogether.

and lastly, or rather firstly, the cat pic does very little for me. it's a cat. on a wall. in spain. if i didn't read the caption, i'd have had no idea it was a cat on a wall in spain. now, having been to spain myself i am of the opinion: if that's the best picture you got while you were there, the title of this thread needs an edit.

i had a quick peek at your blog. not all bad. personally i find pictures without people in them to be largly zzZZzz, but that's my newspaper background shining through.

the pic of the bobby in London looks very flat.

The 'provo utah in and out' B&W pic of the neon sign is blown out badly. i think it says 'quality you can taste', but i'm not certain.

now, what do you mean by 'doing events'? the portrait of Caitlin Baldini is nice enough, if a little dark in the face and lacking sparkling catchlights in the eyes. but that's the only portrait in there. i'd need to see some more and have some idea of what you're on about.

overall, not too shabby.

Real Name
Mark
Cool... a Spanish cat!! I know they're really dangerous but I'd have taken a risk and put the lens through the bars to get a clearer shot. Taking a risk is what separates the greats from the also rans. Just my opinion of course.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I'm just glad you're willing to take photos for free (according to your blog). I'm afraid I wouldn't have the money to pay for any of them...

Real Name
Jake Ebersole
The pictures are good, but, sorry, they're not great. I've seen pictures just as good, and some even better, from our very own Cafe members. Not to discourage you, but you asked for a slice of humble pie.

Hahahhaha. This post cracked me up.

Nice pictures, though! A little too heavily processed for my taste, but very nice indeed.

Keep up the great work!

Griffith,

Serious post now.
I searched (and read) all your 7 posts in the Cafe. First of all, Welcome to the forum!.
Are you looking for serious critique? If you are, IMO this is not the greatest way to get one. Yes the thread attracts attention but at the same time it comes across as arrogant. The best way to have people comment on your photos is to participate in various discussions. You've already done a great job of introducing yourself when you registered. The next step is to join the discussions and get to know the members - we are a tight-knit community here. :wink:

As for your photos, I happen to think that you have an eye for composition. I looked through your other photos and I think some are really good, and there are some that aren't so good. Take it easy on the processing.. you need to really think about what needs processing and what doesn't. You need to be more selective and only show your very best. If you have 5,000 photos, select your 10 best, and from that, select your best 3 and ONLY show those.

Also, if you want a photo critique, use the "critique request" icon on your posts.
icon15.gif
. This means you are asking for a critique and people can give honest feedbacks.

My only advice is... take it slowly, have fun, and ask a lot of questions. Be humble (very important) :wink: We are all willing to help.

Now tell us about yourself. Do you shoot with a Nikon? Which one? What lens(es) do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Vagabond, you are the next coming of Ansel, Diane, and Henri... I bow to your mastery of photography. I am now so discourage, I am going to eat myself to death with Twinkies, I'll be sure and post some crappy photos of the event after it occurs...

There, how'd I do? :tongue:

In all seriousness, I had a look at your blog (that's really what you wanted us to do, right?) and I like your work! :smile: It's very cool. Keep it up, tone down the "arrogance" and welcome to the Cafe! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom