I better start warming up for Merritt VI

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I have not gone out shooting much due to a lot of garbage going on here, but things have settled down and some nagging injuries have lightened up so I loaded up the D2Xs, 300 f4, 400 f2.8 and the 1.4x tc for a trip up Hutchinson Islands. I was part of the way up when I saw some osprey relaxing on trees. It looks like they were just getting up, though the sun had been out over an hour. Maybe they had a rough saturday night? These are handheld with the 300 and 1.4x:

original.jpg

he got a bit spooked and took off:

original.jpg

original.jpg

further up the road this one was preening and getting ready for a day of fishing:

original.jpg

original.jpg

there was some activity at Bear Point, but the tide was up. I still got to see some activity:

original.jpg

there were hundreds of birds flying north , but they were into the light, not many with light behind me, but they just kept coming in large groups:

original.jpg

I only stayed an hour. It started to get hot, and the light hard..

Hope to go again next week, and maybe on to Wachodahatchee, Loxahatchee, and points south.

2. Nice set Harris. Always good to see osprey pics. If you (and Mike) make it over this way (Venice) for MIVI look me up if you guys want to go out in the boat and chase the birds and visit the rookeries.

3. Excellent set Harris, looks you're ready OK.

4. Hi Harris,
    I see that you haven't lost your touch. Thanks for sharing.:smile:

5. Mike,

Always look forward to shooting with you. Thanks!

6. Thanks Louie and Ed.

I plan to start shooting more. Hope to add a D300 to my arsenal some day.

7. Very nice set! Send me a PM when you go to Wako and I may join you.

8. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Excellent series, Harris! First, second fourth and the sixth one.

9. Harris it is great to see you are getting out again. This is a great series of shots and makes me want to join you guys and gals this year. Louie is trying hard to get me to go so this may just be the year.

10. Well what do you know - Harris posting again!!! Nice going!

11. Alex, that would be great! Will do so.

12. Jim, it would be great to meet you. I can guarantee you wont be sorry if you come.

Thanks

13. Hey Andreas! You going to come down for some more sunshine and shooting?

Hope so.

Thanks

14. You don't need warming up! Nice series, Harris.

15. David,

Having admired your work for so long, that is a wonderful compliment. Thank you.

16. What an excellent portrait of the 2 plumaged Little Blues! That could very well net you a contest win for a local calendar or audubon contest.

17. Doesn't look like you got too rusty - nice job.

Don

18. Thomas, thanks for the idea. I'll enter it in the next Palm Beach Post contest.

19. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Well, at least you've given yourself plenty of time to clear the cobwebs.

Just kidding of course, these are all very nice. I especially like the second Osprey and it's a treat to see the 2 Little Blue's together.

20. thank Gene, I thought the little blues were nice up in the tree