I BOUGHT THIS TODAY

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jfenton, Mar 29, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I bought a used Nikon 500 AFSII f4 in mint condition today for less than $4300. I have purchased this from a very well respected Nikon shooter.

With the money that I saved, I will now purchase either a 70-200 or an 80-200 as I have nothing in that range.

Also...the 17-35 AFS goes on the block today and I may replace it with a 28-70 as the damn thing is just too wide for me most of the time and the near / far aspect kills details in the horizon clouds which I'm always trying to capture cause it makes them so tiny!

There are two catches:

A) It's a two year old B and H IMPORT. I called Nikon Canada and confirmed that they will repair any Nikon lens no matter where it's purchased in the world for their regular rates, should it ever need service.

B) I'm gonna be camouflaged with the Canon shooters cause the sucker looks like this!

For the price, I think I'm gonna love the lens :)

With the money that I saved, I will now purchase either a 70-200 or an 80-200 as I have nothing in that range.

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    SWEET

3. Congratulations Jim, I'm sure you will like the lens.

4. Oh my goodness! I would like to be able to say that I saved money after spending 4300$ :cry:

Anyway, nice trumpet you got yourself :lol: :lol: .
    I have no doubt that you will be able to put it to good use.

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Harry

You need to remeber that I sold the 200-400 to put towrds this and I was prepared to spend a total of $5700 if I had to.....

Now, if I can just sell the 17-35 today :)

6. Congrats Jim!! Get yourself some Neoprene and make a lens cover. All you need is 1.5mm Black or Camo Neoprene and someone with a sewing machine. If no one sews you can go to your local dive shop and get some neoprene glue and clue the two ends together. Works like a charm.

Anyway, cngrats on the new lens. Now lets get ready to post some pics with it! :shock:

7. WOW!! My lust is now more of a problem thanks to that picture!!! :) :) :)

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hey George....

You must be refering to a lens cover that is more useful than the honkin slide on hood that comes with these things?

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Congrats, that's a big lens and a very big lens foot

I wonder if you might want to get a lower profile lens foot for that thing? It seems so tall!

10. congrats on a damn ugly lens. Some flat black paint should fix that. :D

11. Re: Hey George....

Was just thinking out loud if you want to cover the grey. They sell camo covers for Canon lenses but only the Nikon 600 has one made for it. I made my own, easy to do and way less than the $100 you have to pay to buy one.

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Multiple Responses

A) Steve...I already have a Wimberly foot for it...fortunately it's the same one as the 200-400 uses.

B) Harris...You know what? I kinda like being a bit different. Maybe people will leave me alone :) You sure can't complain for the price!

C) DiverX...I hate Camo! Perhaps if I lived in Alabama or Tennessee (Sorry Frank).

By the way..where has Frank been???

13. Re: Multiple Responses

Ditto, that's why I made mine black. Eliminates scratches and protects the lens from dings also.,

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    All I gotta say is wowowowowowowow

well i will say i am happy for you.

Regards
    Gale

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: Multiple Responses

Whadda ya mean where has Frank been? I been right here. :roll:

I shot about a 1,000 pics last Friday and Saturday. Even posted several. It's just that after looking at
    shots from that $12,000 set-up you've got, I was too embarrassed to post any more.... :lol: :p 8)

Frank

16. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hey Frankie....

Now now Frankie...

The Camera was 5K...the lense was 4.3K...the converter was .4k...that doesn't add up to 12????

By the way...do you still need / want the CF card or does the guy who's hounding me at work cause it's still sitting on my desk get it?

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jimmie,

OK, so I exaggerated just a little.... :lol:

Yes, I definitely want the card. Been busy. I'll shoot you a check. :?

Frank