I broke my D2H!!#*@$?!#%

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I went back over to the dam this morning, and was walking down the rocks to the shoreline. I got almost to the bottom, and looked up to greet a fisherman that was already there. Not sure what happened, but the next thing I knew, I was on my face in the rocks, and my cam / tripod / 300 2.8 smacked the rocks hard (so did I, but I'll heal).

I shot for an hour or so, and decided to add the 1.7 TC to the 300 2.8 to try to get some Cormorant shots. After a couple of shots, the viewfinder went dark. To make a long sad story short, I apparently fracked the lens mount (warped / bent / whatever). It's got to go back to Nikon, and the sad thing is, my D70 has the BGLOD, so I am without cam. This will be the first time that I've been in this state in almost 2 years. It's going to hurt, a lot. :Depressed

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Ouch! You can borrow mine buddy.

Let me know if I can do anything.

3. Frank,

Sorry to hear the D2H is broke and the D70 is broke.

Now is the time for a D2X. You have my permission to go ahead
    and spend the money.

:biggrin:

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Frank,

That's my nightmare. At least when my D2h went down I still had my D100 working. If you ever needed an excuse to get the D2X if you have one now.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Paul,

I'm insured, but I still won't have a cam for several weeks. Talk about cold turkey. :eek:

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Soooooo Sorry to hear this FLEWWWWWWW

I hope first you are ok.

Then we worry about camera...
    Glad your insured.
    The withdrawal is awful.. One feels panicky.

Take care

9. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I'm sorry to hear that Frank. I know you're ticked. Did the 300f2.8 survive intact?
    Just slip a $20 in the box when you send it to Nikon. Maybe they'll hurry it up for you.

10. Frank,

Ouch! But, you can view this as an opportunity, sort of.

Some (evil people, I might add... :Devil: ) have already mentioned moving up to the D2X :tongue: :biggrin:

I would suggest you take the time off from shooting to perfect your darkroom skills or expand your creative horizons, by reading books and practicing new techniques on the gazillions shots you must already have! For example, have you looked at the LAB book that some have been raving about (if someone can post a link to it, that would be appreciated...)?

Anyway, all the best until both your cameras recover.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the sympathy and understanding everyone. To Paul and Philippe, thanks for the suggestion. I think that I'll take you up on your suggestions on the book.

Philippe, You know it's funny (as in odd :cool:), I went out to shoot today because I'd spent so much time working on my PP that I thought I just needed to get out from in front of the computer. Guess I should have stayed home and processed, huh?

Chris, I think I'll try the $20 suggestion. :rolleyes:

And to everyone that is making suggestive comments about the D2X, I'll have to say that it's not on my list of wants. Now a D2Hs is another story altogether.... :biggrin:

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

14. Frank, I am so sorry to hear your news. I can see by your pictures how it could happen with all those rocks. I am glad you are ok and your camera is insured. I hope the time will go by fast and that you will be back posting those great pictures soon. If you were closer I would lend you my D100.

15. Sorry to hear that Frank! :Depressed You may want to send the D70 in at the same time. Mine was out of warranty when it got the BGLOD and Nikon repaired it for free. Try it.

D2X is NOT on your wish list? I thought that piece was on ALL our wish lists! :biggrin:

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

Thanks for the commiserations. I planned to send them both back. As to the D2X, I don't print, and I don't shoot people or landscapes, so I don't see where it would be an advantage. To be honest, if all you do is process for the web, for the Cafe for example, I can't see any difference, and I really like the smaller files.

17. Yikes Frank, I can feel it clear from here. The same thing happened to me only I fell downhill while backing up. Fortunately I sacrificed my body for my camera and it came through without a scratch. Very sorry you were not so fortunate and hope you weren't hurt too badly.

18. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Oh carp!! Sorry to hear that Frank. Hope you're not too badly damaged.

I nearly did the same standing on some rocks on Saturday morning. I was so intent on shooting that I forgot to balance and ended up jumping down and across a lot further than I thought I was capable of to land on the sand. I suspect I wouldn't have been as noble as Gordon and would have sacrificed the camera in the interests of maintaining what little I have in the way of good looks.

Neil

19. Frank,
    this is unfortunate in many ways. I am thankful you were not injured. I will send you my D2X(no kidding) as long as I can have it back by October 15th. I do not expect to use it much before then and I would be happy to have you use it if you like. Just say the word and it is on its way.
    Dave