1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I can do woodpecker closeups!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by alexf, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Just not as good :smile:

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looks good to me.

I have not been able to get close enough

3. Man You were there!!!!

4. Yeah, but my old 70-300G is too soft.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  5. Great composition and a cool shot Alex.

Now to some suggestions. Your 70-300 is not that soft. You have to low a shutter speed and you are over exposed by about +1.3 to + 1.6. And you have taken the shot sometime during the day when the light is harsh and creates to much shadowes, usually from 10-3 or so.

So recommendations:
    • Put your camera in Aperture mode, dial in F8
    • Dial in -1.3 to -1.6 EV compensation on the camera, that will fix your over exposure and will increse the shutter speed. (handheld you will need about 1/45oth or so with the Crop factor of the camera (the normal formula used ot be 1/Focal length = shutter speed, but with the 1.5 crop factor you need to increase that to 1/(1.5xfocal length) = in this case 1/450th. With tripod considerably less.
    • Try to shoot this from sunrise to 10 am or 3 am to sunset. (btw if you shoot this really early with warm soft light you need less then -1.3 - 1.6 compensatiopn probably around -0.7 or so, if so increase ISO a bit to ISO 300 or so to get the shutter speed up.)

6. Good stuff Andreas. Thanks!

This one was shot at 9:19 am (the nest faces east on harsh sun).
    190mm - 1/320s - F5.0 - -0.3EV - ISO 110 (ISO Auto) with a heavy cro
    - with a tripod

Will try again next visit to the nest.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.