I can get the camera serial number from the camera's files?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leo Horta, Oct 1, 2008.

1. I sell my D80 and I have to get his serial number. I have thousand of photos, in NEF and jpg.
    It is possible?

Trying to find it I discover that xmp files, produced by ACR, shows the total number of shutter releases relative to that file.

Thanks!

2. I am kind of confused as to what you are asking.

3. That's an interesting idea....I've never seen the serial number in any EXIF data though.

Sean

4. Yes, the serial nr is in the file, at least in the NEFs, I guess it's in the jpgs too (if they are directly from the camera or processed only by Nikon Software that doesn't strip off proprietary EXIF tags).
    But... if you sell the camera - why don't you just look bottom side of your camera?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
  5. xenonsupra and Daniel, sorry by the english.. I don't have the camera anymore..
    I will get the serial number using a nikon software.

Thanks!!

6. I try with Nikon Capture NX and nothing... :frown:

7. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm on an iMac using Exiftool. Looking at a *.NEF file taken with my D80 I see an EXIF item labeled "Serial Number". And it shows the s/n of my D80.

So, I think it's in there. You just need to find an application that will read it for you.

8. You need to use an EXIF viewer app. I would assume that Opanda IEXIF would be able to for windows, EXIF Viewer on a Mac.

9. I get the "ExifTool by Phil Harvey" for mac. They have a PC version too.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

It works fine, the only problem is run the program from the Terminal (on OSX), but the exif is complete!!

Thanks for all!!