1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I can now access the hospital's computer from home...... NOT !!!

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by spalding12, Jul 7, 2008.

1. i am a pediatrician, who's practice is mostly office-based, of course
    but.... we do see, and welcome into our practice almost 800 newborns a year, mostly from Morton Plant Hospital...
    a very large not-for-profit health center with an excellent reputation
    so...
    everyone is going EMR/electronic medical records
    the long-standing move to implement this wonderful new plan comes to full fruition tomorrow morning

it's called BEACON/CERNA
    a citrix-based platform
    i spent 2 hours training for it today... while on vacation
    ..... "it's the future," and all that crap
    and....
    i can now access all medical records at home
    all the data
    labs
    radiologic studies
    excellent

except this.....
    IT DOESN'T WORK ON MAC
    the citrix-based plug-in for mac doesn't work
    now.....
    this is 1996.... or, even 2005
    1. the hospital spent FORTUNE on this program and system
    2. it is one of the top 3 recognized programs nationwide, at this moment in time
    3. physicians are an educated lot.... and, therefore, are well-know to be more "mac-compliant" than most folks...

in other words....
    as many as 1/4 of the docs i know.... ONLY HAVE MACS AT HOME
    so......

i think you get the point
    you should have heard the yelling in the physician lounge today, when they were told that they couldn't use their macs to access the system

it only works on IE 6 and 7 at THIS point

rant off
    thanks for listening

2. oh.....
    not just Morton Plant... but... all of BAYCARE
    http://baycare.org/

read about us
    it's one of the largest hospital-consortiums in the US
    i'm not talking about some small-time health care system

maddening

3. So, not only is it a PC world out there, IE still rules!

Bah Humbug!!!

PS: I am NOT a Mac or an IE user.

4. Hemigod

Hemigod

Jan 12, 2008
    Anchorage
    We use alot of citrix here, and that's one of the good things about it is that its mostly computer independent.

Have you tried the latest OS X Mac ICA Citrix Client?

You can either use citrix through the Web Browser plugin, or you can setup a connection to the citrix servers with the "Create Custom ICA" connection with the Mac ICA Client.

5. You could always install Bootcamp, or whatever the current dual boot flavor of the month is...

Best of both worlds, and all that jazz...

6. Greg,

I feel your pain - I work with groups who are highly polarized on the hardware they are comfortable with.

However, expanding your software development for multiple platforms is a costly and time-intensive endeavour. It is difficult to justify multiple platforms when the development and maintenance costs are factored in.

I am bummed that my brilliant iPod Touch doesn't use Adobe's flash player - 90% of computers have Flash, but Apple chose not to support it.

Sean

7. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Try being a Linux user. :tongue:

Seriously though. They should've done a little more research into their user base before buying such a system. If the split is really 25% they made a huge mistake.

Although Citrix seams to advertise the fact that their app delivery system runs on OSX... they even have a Safari screenshot and a Macbook Pro laptop.

8. Ahhh, Citrix. Expensive host computers and software so your expensive client computer can act pretty much like a cheap dumb terminal. i.e. Old IBM mainframes with 3270 terminals. :wink::wink:

9. i downloaded the osx-based citrix client software
    installed fine
    still won't run the appl
    and.... the appl has a disclaimer that says it won't work with mac and that they have no intention of doing anything about that... any time soon

10. sad, but true... doug
    very, very sad

11. oh, apple has been known to shut out so many popular clients on their software, as well
    also, very sad

12. an interesting alternative
    thanks

13. i only tried the latest OS X mac ICA client
    it downloads and installs fine
    but... never loads the program

my XP... IE7 machine works just fine at the office

i haven't tried it with my VISTA laptop (have no choice about owning this one, either)
    but... i hear that citrix won't run on VISTA, either..... no surprise there, of course

14. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    So this is what you do... You tell your boss that you cannot do work from home because your computer is not supported. Or ask them to buy you a PC. Simple.

15. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    All joking "my Mac never has a problem" aside, why not install vmware?

16. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    I know how you feel. I switched to a Mac a few months ago, but one program (and only one) that I need for work, is only available for windows. Since I don't want anything Microsoft getting anywhere near my Mac, I was essentially forced to buy a basic (i.e. cheap :biggrin: ) laptop, for just that purpose. What a pain.

17. Hemigod

Hemigod

Jan 12, 2008
    Anchorage
    Just seems silly to use a product as full featured and expensive as Citrix and code your application to specifically support only one Browser type on a specific computing hardware platform.

But I guess then its easy for them to support.

"Oh...you are not using IE 7 on a PC" oh sorry you're out of luck *click*"

18. Hemigod

Hemigod

Jan 12, 2008
    Anchorage
    I'm sure you can get Wine running on OSX. Then it will probably be able to run your windows only application.

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX

19. fascinating
    i'm going to look into this
    i really appreciate your thoughts and advice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.