I can open D200 NEF files in CS

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by SilverEagle, Dec 27, 2005.

1. To my surprise, I can open D200 NEF files in Photoshop CS. I don't get the full menu of choices. I can only modify EV and white balence, and it is very slow. But at least I can open NEF files and work with them.

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Did you install the trial version of Nikon Capture when you got your D200? It sounds like PS is using the Nikon NEF plug-in.

3. That is, most likely the NC4.4 Plugin which automatically puts itself in front of the PS-Raw Plugin! NC installs his own Plugin automatically, when installing NC4.4.

When u want to use the (hopefully) soon to come PS-Raw Plugin again, you will have to relocate the NC Plugin!

(Wow 5 times "Plugin in 4 sentences, must be a record :wink: )

4. Yes, I have the NC 4.4 trial version installed. That must be the explanation. Thanks much,

5. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Warning!

Just a small warning: when Adobe releases the new ACR RAW interface, don't forget to remove the Nikon plugin from CS... otherwise it will always override the Adobe one. In CS2, Photoshop gives you a warning that there's an overriding interface (which is really nice) as well as a path to what file to remove. I don't remember CS doing that and it took me forever to figure out what was wrong. It would have been nice if the Nikon software developers told you that this was added to your Photoshop installation or gave you the choice of adding it, but they didn't.

It is a rather lame interface, but you're right in that it will at least get you up and running in Photoshop with D200 NEF.

6. This explains some things I've seen in the past. I appreciate the warning very much.

Thanks,

7. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    ...you're most welcome... no need for two shooters to fall to the same software "bug" (to use the term loosely).