1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I can recommend Mongol - The Story of Genghis Khan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bolts, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    for cinematography...

Like Gladiator? Like 300? Check out Mongol which is now in theaters here in the US. Absolutely stunningly beautifully filmed in China.

Of course, being the story of the early life of Genghis Khan, there's going to be some blood, but it's slow-mo CGI blood.

Be advised, this movie is in Mongolian and Chinese with English sub-titles and it's rated R for bloody warfare. It's also the first Kazakhstani movie to make it into the top 10 here in the States.

Enjoy!

------OK now that I go back and read that.... Blood! Warfare! 300! More blood! Genghis Khan! Sub-titles! Enjoy! ... I'm sounding a little crazy. But really, seriously, this movie is eye-candy and a very touching love story.

-----Ok, still sounding a bit touched in the head here... Genghis Khan? Love story? No, really!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416044/

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Saw it a few weeks ago, give it a solid 8.5/10 and yes it has great scenery. Well shot, well acted, my only minor complaint is the huge jump in timelines at times leading up to the end scene.

I have heard this is part 1 of three? But the way it ended I am not sure I believe that anymore.

3. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I had also heard that there would be a part two and three, but have been unable to find verification.

Regarding the timeline jumping forward: I benefitted from reading 14 pages of Wikipedia on the life and times of Genghis Khan before I went to see the film. Fascinating.

4. Thanks for the heads up. Rottentomatoes rates it @ 88% and the trailer looks very interesting, will check it out.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I am pretty well read on this too, but I really wanted to see small Khan move to big Kahn during the film, but like I said, really nitpicking here.

6. Slightly off topic, but my son returned last year from a 2 year tour with the Peace Corps in Mongolia. For what its worth, he thought the movie pretty faithfully represented the Mongolian experience and he even was able to follow quite a bit of the dialogue in the Mongolian tongue.

If I can track down some of his photos, I will try to post them. He is not a great photographer, but the people shots and the scenics are pretty neat to see. Quite far removed from the US, that is for sure.

Incidentally, one thing that he said was not reproduced in the movie was the bone chilling cold. Mongolia is one of the coldest, fully inhabited places on the planet. True, the Gobi desert makes up a large part of the south, but the majority of the country in the central and north is essentially open plains (Steppes - as in the Russian Steppes) and it routinely fell to -40 farenheit in the evenings. Daytime highs were often below -0-. He said the country there resembled Montana - sort of like "Big Sky" country. Lots of sunshine year round and surprisingly little snow. Just COLD!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.