I can't believe I'm about to ask...

...but I need another camera bag.

Yeah, I know. I should figure this out for myself, but I'm having a tough time finding something exactly right for my purpose. So, I thought I'd ask my Cafe family for some advice. Here's the deal...

I'm putting together an IR kit, and I'll need a bag that can accomodate the following stuff:

• D100 w/grip and L-bracket
  • the Beast w/reversed hood
  • 18-55
  • SB-800
  • Hyperdrive HD80 (about 6"X3.5"X1.5"
  • ML-3 or MC-20 and possibly SU-800
  • Lenspen

I doubt that I'll ever need room for more gear.

Before you start with the suggestions, I'll tell ya that I'm not interested in the Crumplers. They're just to weird looking for my taste. That's not to say that they're bad - just not my style. I'll also be looking to keep the cost down. I'd also like this to be a shoulder/messenger bag.

Any suggestions?

I see your list but I'm not sure what they all are...but if this helps, this is my bag. Lowepro Slingshot 100AW. It carries the following:

D80 w/17-55
70-300
SB600
Lenspen

Don't mind that bad pic, taken with a Canon...

IMG_0005.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 240856

no grip, I don't have one to show, but I'm pretty sure the grip can squeeze in.
IMG_0001.gif

Who are you tying to convince? A bigger untruth has never been spoken!!:biggrin::biggrin::eek::cool: LOL

Actually, there's not much more I want to add to an IR setup. Unlike my normal collection of gear, one or two lenses will be about all I plan on using.

Think Tank Speed racer? I really like mine, waist pack or shoulder, you decide how to use it. When it is more packed up, I use both...

Thought about that, but I've never been a big fan of the Think Tank stuff. I tried, but just couldn't get into it.

Do you have any lens cases?? If so, a LowePro Toploader with an add-on lens case on the side might be a good choice... and I have one in the For Sale forum!!

I have fit the D300/MBD10 or the D2X, with a 70-200 attached, and two small add-on lens cases strapped to the sides for the SB-800 & a second lens. All the other bits fit into the two front pockets. (maybe I should keep it..)

You might get it in a Lowepro Rezo 180 AW.

180aw.jpg

• D80 with Nikon 17-55 mounted with hood (left)
  • Canon 500D close-up lens (under D80 next to lens)
  • 30/1.4 (bottom right), 70-300VR with hood fits ok
  • Nikon AFD 10.5/2.8 fisheye (top left under blower)
  • Nikon SB-600 with diffuser (upper middle) stand and camera strap below
  • Q-Ball Rocket blower

I'd be hesitant to try to cram that gear into a Slingshot 100. An SS 200 might suit you better.

You said you were looking for a shoulder or messenger. How worried are you about protection? I'm a huge Domke fan and would bet an F-6 (or certainly an F-2) would fit you perfectly. But like most Domke bags it is not well padded on the exterior.

I have an F-6 and love it. Fits to your hip like a glove and the strap stays on your shoulder. I carry the D80 (no grip), all three lenses in my sig, 3 filters, 2 lens hoods, BH-40 ballhead, spare battery and charger, and all the usual mem cards and cleaning nicknacks and still have room for more.

I had a Slingshot 100 for my D200 and my 18-200VR plus stuff, but it was too tight a fit. However, I did like the Slingshot for its fast access and comfortable carry. So I upgraded to a Slingshot 200 in which I carry the above plus a Sigma 10-20, 50mm 2.0 AI, SB800, home designed bounce card, extension tube, extra batteries for all, 8 CF cards in their own little pocket, filters, Phottix, various connectors (USB, video), and all the really little things. I still have some room. I can strap my monopod on it, too. It's comfortable enough to that even though I am in a leg cast with crutches I can still carry it all with relative ease.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom