I can't believe I'm saying this

After giving myself plenty of time to get comfortable with my EM5 and associated kit, I find that I am finally ready to go DSLR-free.

I had sold my remaining DSLR (a D700) and my Nikon 24-70 late last year. That left a handful of lenses and a couple of speedlights. I figured I could always "borrow" my old D300s that I gave my son if I ever truly needed it. So far, I have not. So, the rest of the Nikon gear (with the exception of a splendid old 105 AF-D Macro that I will use with an adapter on the EM5) will go up for sale next week.

I will still have the crutch of the D300s that is in my son's hands. And, if any of my bucket-list photo safaris actually happens, I can rent.

Beyond getting a little money back out of the Nikon gear, it will be nice to pass it on to those who will use it. There is something very disturbing about good tools gathering dust. (I can almost feel the 70-200 VRII glaring at me :biggrin:)

How do you find the view finder on the OMD compare to the D700 or D300. Thats the only thing stopping me to try the OMD. seems very small and this may cause me problems.

How do you find the view finder on the OMD compare to the D700 or D300. Thats the only thing stopping me to try the OMD. seems very small and this may cause me problems.

I have been pleased with the viewfinder. It is smaller but seems brighter and sharper than the D300 (based on side by side evaluation using my old D300s on loan from my son to test all the lenses I plan to sell.). I hesitate to make comparisons to the D700 since I no longer have it to make a direct comparison and memory is a weak reed.

My primary complaints about the EM5 continue to be the irrational menu layout, the inability to rename MySets (the oly equivalent of shooting banks on the Nikon) and the lack of focus peaking. I knew going in that the smaller sensor would place a lower upper limit on the ISOs that would be practical. And I knew that the AF system was not very capable at focus tracking, especially of smaller moving objects and in low contrast situation.

Every camera system has strengths and weaknesses. For my uses, the EM5's weaknesses are not deal breakers and the strengths make it a delight to use.

Maybe we should form a support group of recovering DSLR users. We could even have meetings since we are both in the same State.

Wouldn't that be fun! You're about 250 miles South of me. Ever been to Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor?

I've gotten used to the menus in the EM5 (maybe being slightly irrational myself helps :smile:) and I don't use the MySets (didn't use the shooting banks of my Nikons either) - if I was to complain about anything I guess the size and location of the buttons is the thing I have the most issue with. I have to move the camera away from my face to get to the rear buttons, but it's not a big issue, just an annoyance.

Hello. My name is Glenn and I've been DSLR-free for three days now. Any of you long-timers wanna be my sponsor? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am afraid that I won't be joining the club. I still love my E-M5, but the D600 that I bought last winter has brought me so much joy. It's smaller size for a DSLR and IQ are perfect for me. I am using all my gear now. Even my old Canon s90 has been resurrected as my purse camera. I'm a happy camper!! In the past month I've had a need for every camera I own plus I've used every lens at one time or another. I'm blessed to have so much nice gear.

I am afraid that I won't be joining the club. I still love my E-M5, but the D600 that I bought last winter has brought me so much joy. It's smaller size for a DSLR and IQ are perfect for me. I am using all my gear now. Even my old Canon s90 has been resurrected as my purse camera. I'm a happy camper!! In the past month I've had a need for every camera I own plus I've used every lens at one time or another. I'm blessed to have so much nice gear.

I understand completely. Small FX is some powerful stuff.:smile:

Congratulations.
I'd be proud. :smile:

Thanks, John.
And it's only fitting as you were the one who introduced me to M43. :smile:
If you hadn't mentioned M43 in a PM, I would have remained a full-blown DSLR user completely ignorant of this wonderful small format system.
Not that being a DSLR user is a bad thing; some of my best friends are DSLR users. :wink::biggrin:

Admission: A couple of days ago I spent 15 minutes searching the for sale forums for a D2H/S.
I didn't find a really cheap one and the feeling passed.
Guess I was feeling both DSLR naked and nostalgic at the time. :redface:

Although I like JPEGs coming from my Fuji XE1 so much, I don't think I leave DSLR group for now, at least not until my kids get old enough to stand still for me to take pictures ;-).
AF speed of mirrorless systems just can not catch them.

Whenever Fuji makes lightning fast AF like those of DSLR, then I'm happy to leave. I bet at least 2 or 3 more years.
Also, with DSLR, I have much more lenses to choose, from unexpensive to expensive...

You make a right choice if you don't need lightning fast AF speed. Enjoy your new system. I love both ;-)

Thanks, John.
And it's only fitting as you were the one who introduced me to M43. :smile:
If you hadn't mentioned M43 in a PM, I would have remained a full-blown DSLR user completely ignorant of this wonderful small format system.
Not that being a DSLR user is a bad thing; some of my best friends are DSLR users. :wink::biggrin:

Admission: A couple of days ago I spent 15 minutes searching the for sale forums for a D2H/S.
I didn't find a really cheap one and the feeling passed.
Guess I was feeling both DSLR naked and nostalgic at the time. :redface:

When you get those backsliding urges, your Cafe-mates are here to help. :wink:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom