I can't find mu43 bliss, considering another mirrorless system.

I just can't seem to find photography nirvana in Micro 4/3.

I started with a E-PM1. I loved the camera, but I hated the ergonomics, handling and the output.

E-P3. Love the handling and ergonomics but again I never really liked the output I got from the camera.

E-PM2 and E-PL5 I like the output but don't care for the handling and ergonomics. Better than the E-PM1 though.

Want a E-P5 but right now out of my price range.

Then I get the G5. On paper it has everything I want. Great LVF. Great LCD. I like the output. I love the speed and handling. I love the ergonomics. But there is something about it that just doesn't connect with me. Size wise it doesn't feel like that big of an difference over a D5xxx body and I find myself gravitating back to the Nikon more and more.

So now I'm not sure what I want to do.

I've been eyeballing the V1 and maybe a Sony Nex of some sort. Not sure what I want to do, but I can see the G5 finding a new home pretty soon.

Wow - from what you wrote, I really can't tell what exactly your problem is with m4/3...

If it was IQ, I'd say stick with the larger sensors... But you say you like the G5 output...

Not sure what problem we're trying to solve here?

Mike

If you do not mind a fixed lens, you can get a great camera (Fuji X100) used for a very reasonable price (several have been selling in the $600-$700 range).

Sounds like you need to try out the different camera bodies in a store and see what gels. There's a lot to be said for the ergonomics and controls of these cameras making and breaking it for different people. The IQ differences are small enough for most people that the lens selections and handling can take higher priority.

Do you shoot zooms or primes, and what focal lengths do you prefer?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow - from what you wrote, I really can't tell what exactly your problem is with m4/3...

If it was IQ, I'd say stick with the larger sensors... But you say you like the G5 output...

Not sure what problem we're trying to solve here?

Mike
I just haven't found a body in my price range that I'm 100% happy with. The E-PM and E-PL lines just don't cut it for me from a handling perspective. I love the size/shape. Love the output. Button layout and dials and such just don't cut it for me. The G5 is a great camera and does everything I want it too, but as a 3rd body to my Nikon SLRs I find the size and shape a little off from what I really want (smaller square rangefinder style). I like the GX7 and the E-P5 but those will run me close to $1k right now. If I spend $800-1k+ for a body and I'd probably more likely want to spend that on a D7000/D71000 and move up from the aging 12mp Nikon DX bodies I have.

Sounds like you need to try out the different camera bodies in a store and see what gels. There's a lot to be said for the ergonomics and controls of these cameras making and breaking it for different people. The IQ differences are small enough for most people that the lens selections and handling can take higher priority.

Do you shoot zooms or primes, and what focal lengths do you prefer?
I normally shoot zooms on my Nikon bodies. My prefered focal length is ~50-100mm in 35mm equivalent focal lengths. I *love* the Nikkor 35-70 f2/8 on a DX body.

I will say even though it isn't too much larger than the E-P3 it's amazing how much different the little humps and protrusions makes on how easy you can pack the camera away.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I looked and tried several systems and Settled for Samsung NX, the IQ is closest to my Nikon D-SLRS, lenses are superb, ergonomics are great, and the pricing is very reasonable.

I looked and tried several systems and Settled for Samsung NX, the IQ is closest to my Nikon D-SLRS, lenses are superb, ergonomics are great, and the pricing is very reasonable.
And there just so happens to be a Samsung NX1000 on Woot right now for $279 :)

Don't see your u4/3 lens yet.

Since you like the ep3 body but not the output, and you like the g5 output but not the body, you sound like an ideal candidate for the GX1. Rangefinder style body, the same 16mp sensor and image processing as the g5, and it's only $299 from Amazon.

Don't see your u4/3 lens yet.

Since you like the ep3 body but not the output, and you like the g5 output but not the body, you sound like an ideal candidate for the GX1. Rangefinder style body, the same 16mp sensor and image processing as the g5, and it's only $299 from Amazon.
I've considered that. I might have been really happy with the GX1 if I had not picked up a G5 first. The GX1 is missing come features I've really come to like on the G5. The touch pad focus adjustment and the zoom lever which acts as a 2nd dial. Maybe I can live without them? Ignorance would have been bliss :biggrin:

I've considered that. I might have been really happy with the GX1 if I had not picked up a G5 first. The GX1 is missing come features I've really come to like on the G5. The touch pad focus adjustment and the zoom lever which acts as a 2nd dial. Maybe I can live without them? Ignorance would have been bliss :biggrin:
I missed those features when I sold the g5 and started using my ep3 again. But after two days, I forgot about them. Imo, the gx1 is a lot more camera than the nx1000. I think you should give it a go.

I missed those features when I sold the g5 and started using my ep3 again. But after two days, I forgot about them. Imo, the gx1 is a lot more camera than the nx1000. I think you should give it a go.
Regarding the GX1...$299 is a lot considering it was selling for $199 just a couple weeks ago!

... you sound like an ideal candidate for the GX1. Rangefinder style body, the same 16mp sensor and image processing as the g5 ...
Regarding the sensor - I don't believe that's quite correct, Frank. AFAIK, the G5 & G6 use the same sensor as the GH2, whereas the G3 & GX1 share a different sensor.

I could be wrong, though...

Mike

And there just so happens to be a Samsung NX1000 on Woot right now for $279 :)
The NX100 s a great camera, but if your budget allows, you should go for the NX300 Kit which sells for around $600, it's just a superior camera, two notches above the NX100

Based on the DxO performance graphs for the sensors, The GX1, G5 & G6 have the same 16mp sensor. If you didn't love the JPGs out of the G5, you won't love the GX1 files any more, or less. The GX1 does have a touch screen and that's the only way I pick my AF sensor area. All of the 87 factors that effect IQ, place the GX1 between the 12 mp and Sony sensor 16mp µ4/3 cameras.

Based on the DxO performance graphs for the sensors, The GX1, G5 & G6 have the same 16mp sensor. If you didn't love the JPGs out of the G5, you won't love the GX1 files any more, or less. The GX1 does have a touch screen and that's the only way I pick my AF sensor area. All of the 87 factors that effect IQ, place the GX1 between the 12 mp and Sony sensor 16mp µ4/3 cameras.
Not quite, Bruce. The DXO graphs look virtually identical for GX1 & G3 (and DXOMark = 55/56), and also identical for GH2, G5, G6 (DXOMark = 60/61). But if you compare e.g. GX1 vs G5, you see small differences...

The most obvious difference is the lower DR of the GX1/G3 sensor at base ISO.

Cheers

Mike

There are 4 performance graphs: S/N 18%, Dynamic Range and Color Sensitivity They all overlay perfectly for all except Dynamic range. (For 3 real cameras tested at 3 different times - I'll bet your data from HS physics lab never plotted that well.) When the sensor and its support processing electronics are designed/working right, plots are straight lines. There is an issue with the GX1 that was resolved with later cameras, but it's the same sensor.

And, Mike, it's only because I like you, that I responded even though you used those dopey DxO figures of merit numbers.

There are 4 performance graphs: S/N 18%, Dynamic Range and Color Sensitivity They all overlay perfectly for all except Dynamic range. (For 3 real cameras tested at 3 different times - I'll bet your data from HS physics lab never plotted that well.) When the sensor and its support processing electronics are designed/working right, plots are straight lines. There is an issue with the GX1 that was resolved with later cameras, but it's the same sensor.

And, Mike, it's only because I like you, that I responded even though you used those dopey DxO figures of merit numbers.
Bruce,

The figures may be dopey but they do indicate that there were 2 distinct sets of measurement - GX1 & G3 have identical curves, hence the same sensor.
GH2, G5, G6 also have identical curves, hence also the same sensor - but different from the one in GX1/G3.

You can choose not to believe me, of course. But it's not just DXO that made these statements. Plenty of reviews backing me up on this :smile:

Just look at the specs and compare the pixel counts:

GH2/G5/G6:

- Sensor pixels: 18.3 MP
- Effective pixels: 16.1 MP
- Max resolution: 4608x3456

G3/GX1:

- Sensor pixels: 16.6 MP
- Effective pixels: 15.8 MP
- Max resolution: 4592x3448

I rest my case :smile:

Mike

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom