I can't find mu43 bliss, considering another mirrorless system.

Frank I have both and the performance of the 17 is significantly better in pretty much every respect. With autofocus in particular, the difference is profound.

Yea, but the 20 does the 2.5cm height trick much better than the 17 (3.5cm). :smile:

Actually, I had not seen a picture of them side by side, and I had the impression that the 17 was bigger than I now see that it is.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/04/26/quick-comparison-olympus-17mm-f1-8-vs-panasonic-20mm-f1-7/

this comparison give the nod to the 20 for image quality (not by a huge amount though), and to the 17 for every other metric.

Yea, but the 20 does the 2.5cm height trick much better than the 17 (3.5cm). :smile:

Actually, I had not seen a picture of them side by side, and I had the impression that the 17 was bigger than I now see that it is.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/04/26/quick-comparison-olympus-17mm-f1-8-vs-panasonic-20mm-f1-7/

this comparison give the nod to the 20 for image quality (not by a huge amount though), and to the 17 for every other metric.

From a size point of view there is no comparison of course. The little pancake is a remarkably small lens. I won't do 100% crops so I'm not going to argue if the reviewer found the panasonic sharper. I don't think I've shot many color frames with either lens so can't comment on that either.

What I will say is that getting the shot to begin with is my primary goal. And the 17 nails the shot reliably far more often than the panasonic. I also found in mono terms at least, that the contrast of the 17 is punchier at apertures larger than f2.8.

The 20 also has this untouchable cult like status similar to the 85/1.4d where if you dare say something about it isn't brilliant or pray at the 20mm alter with profound reverence then thou shall be cast out into the barren wasteland for being the heathen that you are !!! lol

I sold my 20 not long after buying the 17. Lost a few bucks but it was the right decision for me personally.

I have the 20/1.7 and thought I'd sell it after getting the 25/1.4...

But I just can't get myself to sell it. There's something special about that little pancake lens!

Sharpness wise, it's every bit as good as the 25/1.4. Other aspects of IQ, it's not far behind - not even bokeh wise... AF speed is the only clear win for the 25.

But the 20 is so small and makes the camera almost pocketable - it's the perfect single lens party setup :smile:

Cheers

Mike

From a size point of view there is no comparison of course. The little pancake is a remarkably small lens. I won't do 100% crops so I'm not going to argue if the reviewer found the panasonic sharper. I don't think I've shot many color frames with either lens so can't comment on that either.

What I will say is that getting the shot to begin with is my primary goal. And the 17 nails the shot reliably far more often than the panasonic. I also found in mono terms at least, that the contrast of the 17 is punchier at apertures larger than f2.8.

The 20 also has this untouchable cult like status similar to the 85/1.4d where if you dare say something about it isn't brilliant or pray at the 20mm alter with profound reverence then thou shall be cast out into the barren wasteland for being the heathen that you are !!! lol

I sold my 20 not long after buying the 17. Lost a few bucks but it was the right decision for me personally.

I have the 20 and really enjoy it's rendering of a scene - I don't shoot that much with it and generally, my style of shooting allows for it to work pretty well. If I didn't already have it I'd be more interested in the 17 but I'm already lens poor (have a hard time justifying any more lens). But then again, I didn't think the older 17/2.8 is nearly as bad as it's online reputation would imply (got it too). I do like the 20 mounted on the PL5, it makes a really nice, slim package.

I had the 85/1.4d and I guess I was a member of it's fan club - it's a beautiful lens, but I realize that not everyone drinks the same koolaid :smile: are you saying it's not?

Real Name
John
Back to Olympus wasn't what I remembered. ):
Maybe my needs have changed a bit.
I'm thinking its time for Fuji or NEX.

I like the EX1 but I think an NEX6 would work better
with my plan for a speed booster.
I think the system would be cheaper in the long
run. Especially with the cheap, excellent Sigmas.

Frank I have both and the performance of the 17 is significantly better in pretty much every respect. With autofocus in particular, the difference is profound.

No sense in me switching. The 20/1.7 is a better lens than I am a photographer. :Curved:

The 20 also has this untouchable cult like status similar to the 85/1.4d where if you dare say something about it isn't brilliant or pray at the 20mm alter with profound reverence then thou shall be cast out into the barren wasteland for being the heathen that you are !!!

Darn right. I just deleted you from my friends list. :Angry:

Just kidding. :biggrin:

Back to Olympus wasn't what I remembered. ):
Maybe my needs have changed a bit.
I'm thinking its time for Fuji or NEX.

I like the EX1 but I think an NEX6 would work better
with my plan for a speed booster.
I think the system would be cheaper in the long
run. Especially with the cheap, excellent Sigmas.

I'm intrigued by the xe1. My son-in-law and I tried one out at Glazers when I was in Seattle last week. It's pretty sweet, and it has an add-on grip. He took this snap of me with the kit lens at 55mm f/5.6. Granted it's a good rendition of a bad model, but I liked the colors, acuity, and separation from the background.

DSCF3022%20mr.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But the xe1 has a non articulating 2.8" lcd, no ibis, a limited selection of large/expensive lenses and a reputation for having unacceptably slow af.

I tried out the nex6 a while back. It has all of the bells and whistles,, but I haven't been impressed by what I've seen of its renderings.

Have you considered an em5? I see them being offered in the $650 range. Or the ep5? Or maybe you're ready to go back to a d700. :tongue:

Remember the Mantra guys:

Buy a generation behind, never buy newly released! :tongue: :wink:

This sub-forum has to be the most indecisive group of (mostly) men on all of the internet! lol The women of our group are much more sure of their equipment purchases! :biggrin:

Westlake Village, Ca. and 20 mi NW of Prescott, Az
I just can't seem to find photography nirvana in Micro 4/3.

I started with a E-PM1. I loved the camera, but I hated the ergonomics, handling and the output.

E-P3. Love the handling and ergonomics but again I never really liked the output I got from the camera.

E-PM2 and E-PL5 I like the output but don't care for the handling and ergonomics. Better than the E-PM1 though.

Want a E-P5 but right now out of my price range.

Then I get the G5. On paper it has everything I want. Great LVF. Great LCD. I like the output. I love the speed and handling. I love the ergonomics. But there is something about it that just doesn't connect with me. Size wise it doesn't feel like that big of an difference over a D5xxx body and I find myself gravitating back to the Nikon more and more.

So now I'm not sure what I want to do.

I've been eyeballing the V1 and maybe a Sony Nex of some sort. Not sure what I want to do, but I can see the G5 finding a new home pretty soon.

You're a troubled man ............ :wink: The few Sony products I've had left me with a bad taste. JMO!

Just ordered a G5 and 100-300 for a trail cam setup. Hoping I don't end up with the micro 4/3 blues like you. :tongue:

cheers
JohnG

Real Name
John
I'm intrigued by the xe1. My son-in-law and I tried one out at Glazers when I was in Seattle last week. It's pretty sweet, and it has an add-on grip. He took this snap of me with the kit lens at 55mm f/5.6. Granted it's a good rendition of a bad model, but I liked the colors, acuity, and separation from the background.

http://fdrphoto.smugmug.com/Family-...tle-August-2013/i-cM4mBjZ/0/O/DSCF3022 mr.jpg

But the xe1 has a non articulating 2.8" lcd, no ibis, a limited selection of large/expensive lenses and a reputation for having unacceptably slow af.

I tried out the nex6 a while back. It has all of the bells and whistles,, but I haven't been impressed by what I've seen of its renderings.

Have you considered an em5? I see them being offered in the $650 range. Or the ep5? Or maybe you're ready to go back to a d700. :tongue:

Are you kiddin. You're a great model Frank.
I hear ya on the Fuji-ness and that 18-55 looks sweet especially at F4 on the long end but I can get more bang on the Sony side. I actually like what I'm seeing from Sony. Especially with that speed booster.
The EM5 is nice but I want to try something new.

You're a troubled man ............ :wink: The few Sony products I've had left me with a bad taste. JMO!

Just ordered a G5 and 100-300 for a trail cam setup. Hoping I don't end up with the micro 4/3 blues like you. :tongue:

cheers
JohnG

I've got the 100-300 and use it more for things like butterfly shots where the focal length let's me get full frame shots without getting to close, at which it does quite nicely. I'm not a bird photographer but have gotten a couple of shots and was pretty satisfied with the amount of detail it captured. In the overlapping range my 35-100 is noticeably better but of course the range isn't there.

EDIT: I just realized my mistake with my previous statement, there isn't an overlap in the focal length of these two lens :tongue: statement still true in terms of quality.

I had the 85/1.4d and I guess I was a member of it's fan club - it's a beautiful lens, but I realize that not everyone drinks the same koolaid :smile: are you saying it's not?

Oh he'll no, it's a brilliant lens but it was superseded with a far better performer.

The 17mm isn't that much bigger. Plus you get the all metal build and MF clutch ring:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8499/8280213608_46edba3dc7_z.jpg

Yes, love that clutch ring. I agree with you that's its not that much bigger but on an epl5 it's bigger enough to be noticeable.

Oh he'll no, it's a brilliant lens but it was superseded with a far better performer.

That's what I read... But I like the looks of the 'd' version over the newer one, and for its purpose (portraits) soft on the edges never bothered me.... I do miss that lens.

Yes, love that clutch ring. I agree with you that's its not that much bigger but on an epl5 it's bigger enough to be noticeable.

It's because the E-PL5 is such a little bugger! :wink:

Real Name
John
Remember the Mantra guys:

Buy a generation behind, never buy newly released! :tongue: :wink:

This sub-forum has to be the most indecisive group of (mostly) men on all of the internet! lol The women of our group are much more sure of their equipment purchases! :biggrin:

You mean all that sufferin' I've been through with all these second rate bodies has gone unappreciated? I've followed the 50% off msrp rule very strictly.
I think I'm going to bypass the rule for the 6. It has just about everything I need/want. And if compare dollar for dollar to an m43 body I'd say it's quite a bargain.

You mean all that sufferin' I've been through with all these second rate bodies has gone unappreciated? I've followed the 50% off msrp rule very strictly.
I think I'm going to bypass the rule for the 6. It has just about everything I need/want. And if compare dollar for dollar to an m43 body I'd say it's quite a bargain.

Did you see the NEX6 sale at BH Photo, John?

Why not the 20/1.7? I still love mine, and if I ever spring for the ep5 kit, I'll sell off the 17/1.8.

And as far as the evf is concerned, I've had my vf2 for 18 months, and it's never slipped off my camera. It's perfect for your pm2.

Mainly AF performance is what leads me to order the 17. My kid is not much of a poser so I have to be wick on the draw to photograph him.

Latest threads

Top Bottom