I caved in and finally said 'yes' to a wedding...

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Richard Peters, Aug 2, 2008.

1. So, I've had about 5 friends from work ask if I'll do their wedding photos over the last year or so. I've always said no because a) I'd hate to ruin a friends big day by using it as 'practice' from never having done one before and b) although I feel a little more capable of doing portraits than I did a year ago, I still find it daunting especially with no room for error with it being a wedding.

Well, finally a few months back I reluctantly agreed to do a couple from works wedding - explaining that they were not allowed to be angry if they didn't like the results lol

So below is a small selection from the day. One thing I will say its is VERY hard work so I take my hat off to Radiohead (thanks for the advice by the way) and all the other wedding photogs out there who do this every week! A big disadvantage on the day was the couple never got a shot list to me so had no idea what they wanted or who anyone was etc so I was kinda just going with the flow and as a result did miss a few shots as doing lens changes would somtimes miss the moment (its also a two camera job but I don't have a backup).

On with the show...

6350_wed.

6684_wed.

The ceremony room was a challenge as the main light source was a single door behind the couple! There were some windows at the very top of the domed ceiling but they didn't do much for ambient light at ground level!

6482_wed.

6510_wed.

This was them walking back in to the ceremony room having just signed the register, its best seen in high res as lots of detail on the couple is lost at web size:

6547_wed.

6595_wed.

6652_wed.

6664_wed.

6696_wed.

6756_wed.

6803_wed.

6820_wed.

6841_wed.

6844_wed.

Better viewed at higher res:

6887_wed.

6917_wed.

6997_wed.

7016_wed.

7031_wed.

The only shot I used with flash that came out ok! I really need to learn how to use flash!

7050_wed.

7067_wed.

This is what I learned...

1) Without the D3 I'd have been up poo creek
    2) You need two camera's
    3) I'm never doing another wedding again so I don't need to buy a second camera

2. These are excellent! You did really well! I especially love the group shot on the stairs.

3. Thank you :) 

I'm pleased especially as I was well out of my comfort zone!! lol

4. Well I don't see your *discomfort* in the photos. I've seen MUCH worse from people who claim to be wedding photographers. Notice I said claim, LOL!

5. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    Let me say, that as a Wedding photographer for a 35 years, these are wonderful photos. For someone who has never done a wedding before, you should be proud of your accomplishment. They have a "photojounalistic" look to them, which is the current wave in Weddings. Well done.

6. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

:biggrin:

Events, parties, weddings....I think you'd do a fine job on all of them if you could stand the tension!

And by the way, NAS guarantees you'll get a second body anyway.........

7. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN

With those pics, you will be asked again. Great work.

8. Thanks all :) 

I'm glad you like them, especially as you must have seen it all before a thousand times!! The bride and groom and myself all work for a news channel, probably where the influence came from lol.

9. Your first time at bat, and you've hit a home run! But, looking at your galleries, it's not surprising. Your results are first rate, no matter what the subject.

I'd bet against that proposition. After your friends see this gallery, you won't have a choice. :biggrin:

10. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Rich,

I think you did a terrific job and deserve an "at a boy!". It's a wonderful series and you've captured the moments of that special day. Hats off to those photogs that photograph weddings..........it's a lot of work. I agree with you, two camera's are a must (one with a 17-55mm f/2.8 lens, and the other with a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, or maybe a different combo).

Again, an awesome job,

11. Getson

Getson

Oct 10, 2006
    Halifax, NS
    Good stuff. Definitely doesn't look like your first wedding. It's like I've always said about shooting weddings.....expect the unexpected.

12. Well you know my thoughts on these - an excellent job and even more so for a first attempt. Very impressed.

Having had one D3 throw a wobbly yesterday I'll be taking three bodies from now on!

13. Thank you for all the kind words, much appreciated :) 

14. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    A job well done. It must be stressful to do weddings

15. Richard,
    you have been MUCH TOO TOUGH ON YOURSELF
    these are excellent

let me ask, did the couple want a predominance of b/w images?
    just wondering

they will be THRILLED with these results
    so thrilled, in fact... that i've sign you up for 4 more weddings in the next month... :wink: :biggrin:

honestly.... i hope that THIS won't be your LAST wedding.... you really do have a knack for it

16. hmmmm.... now THERE'S a place most of us have been before :redface: :biggrin:

17. lol thanks.

No there is a pretty good mixture of colour and mono I just happened to have picked mostly mono to post here thats all :) 

18. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

good job ..the d3 rox!!!

19. Marina

Marina Guest

Nice work, variety of different things, makes it so much more fun. Couple of them can use some more lighting up, but overall, fantastic work!!

20. VERY nice job.
    I myself and beating off the "wedding" idea :)  But guess like you will succumb one day.
    I LOVE the one over the shoulder with the P&S, but thats my sense of humour anyway :) 
    VERY VERY well done, esp. as it's in ole blighty with weather and all lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.