I chickened out...

I am going to the beach next weekend for about 4 nights. I am taking my Nikon with me, but I was pondering if I should take it to the water's edge and on a catamaran trip to an island.

I did a lot of searches and could not find any reasonable reason to take my 'pretty expensive', 'uninsured' camera to a place where I could potentually kill it.

So.. I bought a waterproof digital. (Cluck Cluck)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There are times I would love to have a waterproof digital. Like you, I am chicken in regard to taking my D200 around salt water. Which one did you decide on?

well....
if it is a BIG catamaran where there is NO chance that any water will spray on it... take the GOOD camera

as for the water's edge
i've had my DSLRs there many times...
no problem
but.... i live on the west coast of florida where there is NO SPRAY at all... no waves

modern DSLRs are fairly resistant to such environments, as long as:
1. you don't drop the camera in the water
2. you don't exposure the camera to large amount of spray
3. you wipe down your camera... once, or many times with a nice micro-fiber cloth that has been wet with PLAIN WATER.... no detergents or soaps,
etc....
4. do NOT change lenses when you are near salt water (i know that plenty do around here... but, that's something i don't like to try)

I am no ship expert, but the catamaran is pretty big I guess. It's a 45 footer.

I checked out the website of the company that runs the catamarans and they have a video that distinctly shows waves flying up onto it.. at certain points.

But.. knowing my luck.. if I brought it.. it WOULD get wet or something would happen out of the norm. Also, I don't have a small, throw around camera for the times I choose not to use the Nikon and maybe even would want to do a small video. I am not into camcorders.

The camera I chose (because Nikon didn't make any waterproof camera that I could find) was the Olympus Stylus 850SW.
It seemed to get good reviews.. plus it was on sale at Best Buy. I am sure I could have gotten it a bit cheaper, maybe on eBay. But I wanted to be
sure I had it soon so I could familiarize myself with it. We are leaving for the beach Friday.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1365

The battery is currently charging and I will see what it is like when it is done.

Insurance is cheap!! Buys peace of mind. I do not sell insurance!
Salt water scares me to death.
If you go, I would not take an external zoom, like the 18/200. I would think salt air would be sucked inside the lens as the volume of the lens changes. I would like to hear others opinion on this.
I was on the beach last month and after an hour I could hardly see through my eye glasses for the salt spray. I kept my camera in a garbage bag.

It's only money. We just got back from SeaWorld and I used my D200, sitting about center arena, row six in the SOAK ZONE. Let me tell you, it's named well, we got soaked and so did the D200. It still works just fine, the only after effect of being soaked in Shamu salt water is the pop up flash will not pop up. Pressing the button on the side will unlock the flash and it will pop up about 1/4 of an inch and you have to assist the pop up flash the rest of the way up. Flash will fire just fine, and other then the flash popping up, the D200 is still working like a champ.

Would I have done it when I was lugging around the D2Xs... probable not, but I'm not scared of killing my D200.

The camera I chose (because Nikon didn't make any waterproof camera that I could find) was the Olympus Stylus 850SW.
It seemed to get good reviews.. plus it was on sale at Best Buy.
Not a bad choice. I have a 720SW myself. I don't take too many pictures with it - image quality is not that great (maybe the 850 improved - I doubt) but the most important thing is that it allows you to take pictures at places where you would never bring your SLR: the beach, a bike ride, sailing, the swimming pool...

F15Todd said:
It's only money. (...) Would I have done it when I was lugging around the D2Xs... probable not, but I'm not scared of killing my D200.
That depends on your financial position, I guess. The D200 still represents roughly one months' rent to me, and rent is a substantial part of the family budget. I for one am scared of killing my D200. Having said that, I had no problems using it in the salt spray at the Dutch coast in November during Storm Season - that's what the camera was built for after all (it still works fine by the way).

For this year I'm planning on getting a dicapac bag for my D40 so I can have that on the beach without fearing water and -in my opinion a worse enemy- sand.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the past...

I will never forget when I went with the family.. oh so many years ago... to Bush Gardens, Williamsburg. My Grandmother went with us and I had a Minolta film camera and was taking lons of pictures with it. I loved that thing.

I put the camera on the bench beside me, safe and sound. (or so I thought) My grandmother knocked over a big cup of tea on the table and the flood immediately headed directly for the camera. I tried to pull it away in time but it was too late.

The camera did eventually dry out and seemed to work most of the time. But
it was never 100%. You could see a 'stain' when looking throught the viewfinder. So.. maybe I am jaded in this respect.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom