I couldn't - Update: I just did

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by smodak, Jul 24, 2008.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    D700 is my dream camera. But I do not need it. I definitely want it. I do not do any low light high iso photography.. do not shoot sports and already have D200/D2H/S5 etc... which is more than sufficient for what I do. I have great pro and consumer glasses as well..

I filled in my cc info in ritz and almost clicked submit...but somehow spending $3K on a camera that I do not need seems like a waste and I do not have money to waste.

I just couldn't click the button....

Well, may be later, when the prices go down....

:frown:

Edit: Could not fight the lust for long...just ordered from B&H.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  2. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    if you need the high iso do it. if not D300 is all you need!

3. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
  4. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Think of it this way. Buying the D700 is like getting all new glass with the fx format. So really, your saving money:biggrin:. Clearly you made your post to "help" you push yourself over the edge. just doing my part to help. Iv got a D2H and the full frame advantage of the D-700/D3 trumps logic about need.

"Let the dream begin"

Greg

5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I think you were smart. You can always get it later or wait until the next latest and greatest thing comes along.

6. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Don't worry, new Nikon cameras are not going away. There will be D800, D900, D4, ... etc etc. It is smart to skip one model and use what you have. I skipped D300 and will get the D700. If the next update comes out in 18 months (D800) I'll skip it and go along with the successor to it. I don't use/wear cameras fast enough to warrant replacing a mint body with the new model. AAMOF my D200 still looks brand new.

Just ready yourself to the D800, don't purchase any new DX glass, sell the less used high-value DX lenses and wear your current cameras down.

7. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    congratulate yourself on your restraint. like you said, half a year from now the price will go down, and maybe that'll make it more affordable :smile:

ricky

8. Thats just a fact of life.:smile: Gotta live for the moment, which is now:biggrin:

9. 50 bucks says you get one!:eek:

10. I actually ordered one from Adorama, then asked them to cancel the order, along with the SB900.
    Reasons:
    1. Business has been really crummy this year; people aren't buying prints or DVDs of their weddings; no money.
    2. My wife needs a bunch of medical tests, and that will wipe out the D700 fund for a long time.
    3. I need to unload a D300 and 17-55 before buying another body. And those prices are seriously depressed, together will still leave me short by a grand or so.
    4. Nobody orders prints larger than 8X10. Heck, I could still be using the D2H and not have any issues.
    5. The price will come down and I'd kick myself when it does.
    6. It could have issues.
    7. I don't have time to deal with/learn yet another new camera. I'm far from mastering my D300 bodies and all those picture control optonis.
    8. Lightroom support of Nikon bodies has been pathetic recently, and I'm afraid they'll do the same botched job on the D700 RAW converter Adobe did on the D300 converter. And I don't want to invest in different software and learning it.
    9. I don't have any weddings coming up that will require low light performance. My employer forces me to buy my own cameras and while low-light perfomrance would be great for some of the garbage I have to photograph, if they don't care to buy the best for those jobs, why should I?
    10. I'd rather take a nap.

11. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Since when does need have anything to do with it :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

12. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Good thinking Carl, I feel that if you don't need it and it's not an 'I must have' in your gut, let it ride.

13. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Could not fight the lust for long...just ordered from B&H.

14. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    You win...where do I send the money??? :biggrin:

15. LOL! NAS got you! Congrats!

16. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Wow, 1 hour 36 minutes after your original post. That is impressive. Still on my D70 I am a will power god to men like you :biggrin:

17. Hmmm, GB, eh! Bet your still making payments on the D70 (considering the strreet tax, the city tax, county tax, national tax, value added tax, poll tax, the tax tax.....) :cool:

18. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Yeah, the irony. It's about time it was just called B.
    We're not taxed that highly here, all things considered. Apart from fuel (petrol, diesel) and alcohol tax. The extra price we pay for goods is purley down to manufacturers, because they can get away with it. The only tax on a product is VAT, which is 17.5%. More than the US, but that doesn't account for the rrp of $3991 (1999 pounds).

19. congrats on your choice
    you'll love it, i'm sure