I.D. Bird Help!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Anthony747, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Hi All!
    Is this bird recognizable to anyone? I can’t locate him in either of my bird books. I photographed him in Sandy Hook, NJ next to a pond not far (about 200 feet) from the Atlantic Ocean.

Thanks for any help!
    Anthony

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I'm not guessin this time. I don't even know a Duck !!!!

Like the image though :>)))

Looks similar to a mocking bird, but I know it is NOT.

3. Brew

Brew Guest

I'm just guessing but I'd say a CoalTit.

4. i would say it is a Gray kingbird. The lack of white on the tip of the tail eliminates the Eastern kingbird.
    Dave
    nice shot, you got to love seeing species you have not seen before and then try and get a nice capture like this one on "film"

5. Its tempting to think this might be a Grey Kingbird--although that would be way out of its range in Sandy Hook--it is conceivable right now because many birds have been blown way out of their ranges due to the recent hurricanes. Northernmost range of Grey Kingbird is normally South Carolina. However, the bill of a Grey Kingbird is much more massive than what you see here. And generally the bird is much chunkier than this bird. This is undoubtedly an Eastern Kingbird, possibly in a molt where the white tail tips are not prominent.

Here is a Grey Kingbird (taken in Puerto Rico)

[​IMG]

7. Brew

Brew Guest

How small was it? It's had to tell its size without knowing how big the lumber is that its sitting on.

8. Hi Brew, It was about 5"

9. Could this bird possibly be a Black Tail Gnatcatcher? This bird is not from my area (South Jersey) it’s from the gulf area. Janet stated that it’s conceivable that birds have been blown way out of their range due to the recent hurricanes.

Thanks, Anthony

10. Eastern Phoebe

Ifins I were a bettin' man I'd say this is an Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe; summer plumage).

11. Janet may be right,an eastern kingbird, I am convinced that it is a kingbird of one variety or the other.

12. Of course its an Eastern Phoebe! What was I thinking...all this talk of Kingbirds...yes definitely a Phoebe. Doh. Temporary brain freeze. (We need a "Doh" icon!)

13. Thanks to all for the research help!

Anthony

14. I don't have a clue on the ID but have gotten a kick out of all the names brought up by others. I will add this tidbit, Phoebe's out here in the west have some orange on the breast under the wings.