I.D. Please??

Discussion in 'Birds' started by BUCKEYE BIKER, Jul 4, 2007.

1. I think these may be Broad-winged Hawks, at least the picture in the Audubon Field guide seems to indicate so. They are about the size of a crow. There are at least three -- hard to determine because they move around so much. They are very active and vocal. They are hanging around our sub-division neighborhood (southeastern Ohio), and sometimes will allow a person to approach fairly close. One was in a dogwood tree right outside our family room window Tuesday morning, surprising my wife as she looked out the window while getting ready for work.

Both these shots were in a walnut tree in our backyard on two consecutive days. Both images cropped and sharpened. 300f/4 with 1.5 kenko TC. Hope you enjoy them. Sorry they weren't sharper. Any verification on the I.D. would be appreciated.

720923424_0d58d513aa_o.

View attachment 104157

2. I'm thinking it it a young Redtailed Hawk

3. Looks like a juvie Red-shoulderedHawk. Broad-winged won't have banding on the primaries, which is a typical characteristic of REd-shouldereds young and old.

4. Thanks for the reply, Gary. I haven't seen any adult Redtails around, but I will keep watching.

5. Thanks, Thomas. I appreciate your reply. I'm new at this, so my knowledge on the subject is very limited. Reading descriptions has made me all the more confused. I will keep watching and hopefully, learning. Part of my theory was based on the size of the birds.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice captures Tom. Hawks are one of the hardest species for me to identify. So many look so much alike to me. I don't have my Sibley's with me, so I can't help unfortunately. I'll look when I get home.

7. Well I'm taking it as a immature cooper as the head is the right shape and it has the slight touch of white above the eye and note the round tail with the tiny bit of white on the end. But the thing that really makes me lean this way is where you are seeing it as both the cooper and the sharpshined like song birds and hang out around feeders from time to time. :confused::confused:As for the photos they look very good.
    Lou

8. Thank you Frank. I appreciate the nice comment and for going to the trouble to look in your reference book.

9. Thanks Lou, I'm getting more confused all the time, but part of that is probably "senior moments" LOL. I appreciate your comments. I have been out doing yard work this morning, but I will try and research it more, later.

Thanks again to everyone.

10. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm leaning toward the sharp-shinned. Don't think it's a juvie, eye color looks more like an adult.

11. The tail is far too short to be either a Coop or a Sharpie and neither species will exhibit the banding on the primaries like this bird. Without a doubt this is a REd-shouldered Hawk.

12. Thanks Baywing and Thomas. I appreciate your replies.

13. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Guess I missed this when first posted, but that's okay because I would have just added to the confusion. At this point, I'd have to throw in my vote for a young red-shouldered. [Saying it's a young anything is, for me, an admission that I'm not really certain (even sitting here with three bird books in front of me).:wink:]

BTW: Nice shots, Tom.

14. Tom I think you are right as I looked over my nesting pair of RSH for the passed 5 years and I think the color is off a bit on the posted ones. This is a youngster from I think 2005 and about I think 5 months old here. I can see a resemblance in the two. Good call
    Lou

[​IMG]

15. Thanks Bob. Yep, I'm definitely confused. They are still around, maybe I can get a few more shots as they mature (if they hang around).