I did read the sticky on lens sharpness...but...?

That one and a dozen others on line. I've shot cans, measuring tapes, thermometer, and my husband and "the chart" at angles and all on a tripod. The results are still a bit consistent, but I am convinced I need to send my 50 1.4 to Nikon.

My question;
Should I be changing shutter speeds as I test each fstop?
Should i be using a flash to keep the light consistent?
Do the settings matter...I am using the center focal point, center weighted AFS?

I do understand about razor thin DOF. But shooting sitting grandbabies I want sharp eyelashes, not sharp ears...which is what I've been getting consistantly, focusing on the inside of the nearest eye.
This should be my best lens :frown:
Thanks in advance..

'

I might be wrong but it sounds like might be doin' a "focus and recompose" dance.
If that's not it...are you in AF-S and center point? (AF-C would be looking for movement)
Try moving the focus point and don't move the body after acquisition. What I tell my students,
when learning to shoot fast glass...start at f2.8 and every day or so open it up a 1/3 of a stop.
When you're getting 90% keepers at f2 rinse and repeat the drill towards wide open. If that's
not it then a trip to Nikon for calibration might be your best move. GL :wink:

As far as I know:

Yes you should be changing shutter speed to co-inside with Fstop
Yes, lighting needs to be consistant

After all that if you are consistantly getting sharp ears instead of eyes and the lens is new I would give up testing it (you seem pretty convinced) and just get it serviced. At worst you'll be out of a lens for a couple of weeks and when it comes back you can take more shots and see if you get Eyes or ears....

Worst case they wont find anything and send it back, best case it they will correct it and send it back.

Either way it will be resolved and your stress level will be alot less cause your not spending hours trying to figure out if your testing it correctly.

Get an aluminum yard stick from Home Depot, $3. Then put it up right at a 45 degree angle across the focus axis from around 2 feet.

Light the center at 18" and put the center focus point on 18" Take a few shots and put them up for pixel peep. AF fine tune and try again if necessary.

If your 1.4 is like my 1.8, it will pass this test. So all is working as it it should. Problem is focus is set up for 2 feet and I do pics from 3,4, or 5 and the camera now misses. and infinity, the lens will not even focus to infinity anymore. I calibrated it for 12 feet and live with the closer and further focus problems.

It also shifts focus, ie 1.8 is focused, 2.8 is out without changing a thing. Focus at 2.8, and 1.4 goes out.

And the focus and recompose will move the focus distance to the subject. Strike an arc and study it. You will see it does not work in close distances.

I have two micro lenses, 60 2.8`s, and they both work as expected. So does my 85 1.8. So this is not a camera issue for me.

If you can not pass the yardstick test and AF fine tune, if your camera has it, does not totally remedy it, try a longer fast lens.
If that fails, the camera and lens may need adjustment.

If you pass all, then practice is required. But honestly, how hard is this really? Maybe it seems simple to me because i have been doing this for 50 years.

Iscariot, yes you're right ...I'm going to the post office today. I did want to try and rule out user error.
Ronald, you state 2 ft for focus, actually I thought it was farther than that? At first I thought my problem was trying to use it to close.
My camera does not have fine tune.
I have a 60 2.8 also and that is the one that I am always in love with.

Waiting for a quote from MidWest Camera in Wyandotte MI. I've heard that they have a good reputation. Keeping my fingers crossed that they call and say they can make it perfect, and Not tell me that its the dreaded user error. In all the testing, it seemed like it was worst at 2.8

Get an aluminum yard stick from Home Depot, $3. Then put it up right at a 45 degree angle across the focus axis from around 2 feet.

Light the center at 18" and put the center focus point on 18" Take a few shots and put them up for pixel peep. AF fine tune and try again if necessary.

Actually, with this method you also need something contrasty standing right beside the 18" mark for the AF to properly focus on, as it doesn't like simple straight horizontal lines. You also need to be an exact distance from the target to get correct results. You also need to be square with the target. Oh hell, just buy a LensAlign, it's the ONLY way to do it right @ 1.4.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._LA_LA2_LensAlign_MkII_Focus_Calibration.html

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom