I did the unthinkable

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Phil K, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Many members have bought photographic gear for Christmas, and I just did my fair share.

I know the existence of it. I know what it's designed for. I know it's a classic. But I never thought of buying one, until a few days ago...

A friend has a warehouse full of photographic gears, many brands, old and new. Last week after a few drinks, he said casually, "I have something that you may be interested in. It's a Noct, new in box." Maybe it's the holiday mood, maybe it's the scotch, I found it's an offer that I couldn't refuse.

Received it yesterday and ran out tonight to take a few shots (would like to do it last night but traffic was a complete standstill because of the WTO protest).

As Beezle said - am I worthy of it? Who cares.

Now, don't ask me how much I paid for it, and how am I going to explain to the CFO when she sees the bank statement.

original.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2005
  2. There you go!

Your punishment, of course, is you have to take lots of photos with it.

Congrats on the find.

3. Congrats!
    From your shot it appears to be doing its job quite nicely.

Is that the Kowloon movie star walk converted to Santa Avenue?

Don

4. Beezle, yes, have to take a lot of photos to learn how to use it, and justify my purchase.

Don, it's Causeway Bay, just outside Lee Garden.

5. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Nice find, congratulations. Enjoy the NOCT!

Kevin

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Phil :

New in box ? Oh, my.

Well, I would have bought it, too. I'm really really fortunate in that my CEO actually actively encourages me to get nice gear. When I told her I was thinking about the D200, she just smiled and said, "Order it right away."

Once your Significant Other sees the Noct in action she'll love it. Don't just do the nighttime stuff. Shoot some photos of her - while it's not generally used as a portrait lens, the effects are better than the Cream Machine (IMO). Or better, shoot photos of your kids for her.

Congratulations on the acquisition. Short of divorce, you'll not regret it. :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin:

Life is good.

John P.

7. Phil,
    If your CEO terminates with extreme prejudice your relationship with your NOCT, I'll send you a money order for the lens!

8. Congratulations on a great find, Phil!
    I'm just curious: Has your friend found out yet what he sold after a his few (yeah, RIGHT!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: ) drinks??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

9. Kevin, thanks for the encouragement.

John, thanks for the advice. Better than the Cream Machine! That's very reassuring.

Gonzo, LOL. There has to be many many zeros in your money order to make me part with this lens.

Frits, my friend has a large collection and I am sure he has at least one for his own use. I hope he knew what he was saying.:biggrin:

10. Hey, Phil - I HAD to try......

11. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Great buy! Enjoy it!

12. Thank, Ken. My thought was, if I said 'no', I might regret it later. And now I will have a very happy Christmas.

13. All I can say is ... wow!! :eek: That's like discovering a long lost bank account with plenty of accrued interest! Good for you and I look forward to more images. :biggrin:

14. Thanks Crystall. I am not a collector and won't feel happy if the lens is just sitting in my cabinet. I will find time to learn to use it in coming weeks.

15. Way to go Phil! Wishing you a long and happy marraige. best....Peter

16. Thank you very much, Peter. And I love the photos you took with the Noct.