I didn't expect this.

Real Name
Steve
I love my X100F, but this Z50 is TINY, arguably a bit more versatile, and if (...BIG if) I can dial in the color to suit, it could be a worthy replacement for the X100F. There is maybe a .25" height difference, the X50 is a very small bit taller. The X100F has a RRS grip attached, but that's still fairly an apples-to-apples comparison (I'd always want the grip). The Z50 appears to be smaller because the overall body of the X100F is taller by far. The X100F also has the hood removed. No shots yet, battery is still charging...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Ian
Not entirely an apples-to-apples comparison though.

The X100F has a 23mm f/2 lens on it (providing a 35mm FoV), whereas the Nikon lens starts at f/3.5 and while I haven't seen any information yet, I'm betting it loses that f/3.5 aperture very quickly (Sony's 16-50 f/3.5-5.6 is already at f/5.6 at 35mm, unsure of what it is at 23mm).

If you shoot all of your lenses at f/5.6 or f/8 then it's not a huge deal, but the Fuji does provide you a 2-stop advantage vs. the Nikon at 23mm. Whether or not that's important for how you shoot, only you know. There are of course other factors besides the lens that could influence which camera you like more as well.

Real Name
Steve
That's a tough trade, f/2 vs. 24mm FOV. ISOs are so clean now, even 5.6 is usable in many situations. Leaf shutter vs. elec./mech. shutter? EVF/OVF vs. EVF only? It is compelling to discuss though. IMHO, the X100F is one of those sweet spot cameras, like the Df. It just does what it does so well, nothing really compares. The X100F is a premium niche camera, the Z50 is at the other end of that marketing chart. That it does so well for the price isn't really a good argument either as it was still $1000, and a D3200 could likely compete very well in image quality for less than half the price. All good things to think about though...

...oh, and then there's GAS.

The one thing ime still getting used to after so long of m4/3 is I reach in my bag grab the Z 50 and 50-250 lens, it doesn't feel like the DX cameras I have had in the past, it still feels like m4/3.

If you get a Techart TZE-01 adapter you can slap on some cheap/sharp Sigma E mount primes like the 19/30/60 or the very good Sony 20mm 2.8 pancake!
Actually, there are people having both Z50 and Techart TZE-01 that report that the adapter doesn't fit the Z50 (the plastic inside the mount doesn't give enough space to the adapter).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom