I do so dig shooting at dusk and at night!

Not that I'm any good at it, mind you :lol:

Here's some of my fav's (more or less) from this week's inbox.

This is one of a few pod shots from the week - I just LOVE my 135mm F/2 DC.

tn_DSC8747.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one could very well be my fav, I'm guessing most people would find it stupid, which is ok by me... my eye just likes it for some reason.

tn_DSC8913.jpg

tn_DSC8942.jpg

And three from Ocean Drive. I posted another in the lens lust forum to show (anechdotally) the sharpness of my new Sigma 30mm F/1.4 which I think I'm falling in love with - natural progression, right? Lust to love
:lol:

tn_DSC9195.jpg

tn_DSC9198.jpg

tn_DSC9228.jpg

Not sure if I'm flooding or not :lol: Anyone thinking so, lemmie know and I'll try to curb my enthusiasm :shock: Not sure if I can promise though :roll: :lol:

Chris101 said:
Oooh! You've got a 30mm!

The HOT sign really works well. Your 135 also seems very much at home in the dark. Flooding is good.

Hey Chris,

Yeah... I used the "email me when it's in stock" optoin with B&H, it was on order 20 minutes after the email arrived :twisted: Had this lens not been on the horizon, I probably would have droped the near yard extra for the Nikkor 28mm F/1.4, but really didn't want to drop that much for a fast "normal" lens, so the Sigma was my perfect solution, and I'm VERY happy so far. The sharpness is awefully good wide open (but no, I shall NOT buy a res chart and test the corners :roll: - no one will ever plant the "M" word on me!) and the bokeh is quite nice as well from what I can tell so far. I also have the Sigma 20mm F/1.8 and the bokeh is killer on that lens, it's constructed a bit "clunkier" though.

OK, flooding is good... so when people complain about me... I shall indeed blame YOU! :lol:

Thanks ever so much for the kind words.

I like the Hot sign but my favorite is Starlite Dreams! These are very interesting shots and very creative. It looks like a fun evening of shooting.

Kevin Scott said:
I like the Hot sign but my favorite is Starlite Dreams! These are very interesting shots and very creative. It looks like a fun evening of shooting.

Hey Kevin,

Interesting picks. You're the second person that found starelite a standout. I liked it just fine, really dug the exposure but wasn't sure about the integrity of the comp. I guess I can consider the issue settled :wink:

Thanks for your kind words.

greyflash said:
In the right kind of decor some of these images would make a nice wall hanger. Good captures.

Hi Gordon,

Quite the complement :) Thanks very much!

Another great series, Steve. I'm definitely a fan of your work! I like seeing what I might be shooting once I'm down there next week.

nburwell said:
Another great series, Steve. I'm definitely a fan of your work! I like seeing what I might be shooting once I'm down there next week.

Hey Nick, it shoudl be fun. I've been shooting quite steady in south beach and I'm no where near tired of it yet, keep finding different stuff, and you konw, your eye just sees things differently on different nights.

Looking forward to this.

Thanks for your very kind words with respect to my work.

Steve

I luv to see your shots. I just like the perspective and framing. And u do some really cool night stuff for sure. Oh yeah, I enjoy the titles you give too. Some I get - Some I do not. But, I think they all are fantastic shots. You posted a few the other day - I like those too.

Post more please I will look at them for sure. There was one in the series called "Third Chair" or something like that. Could not figure that one out? But I still liked it. For dummies like me, I need a little "Cliff Notes" section on how/why you came up with a particular title for a certain pic.

Hey Mark,

Interesting thoughts! As far as the titles go, some of them are more thoughtful than others, but it's an interesting exercise for me, because I do go through each as I run the print exif script and try to figure out something that the photo says to me, and come up with the title that way. I use the thesaurus tool on dictionary.com a lot to do that, so I can avoid using the same titles over and over due to my limited vocabulary :eek:) and some of the words I use end up being a little more obscure because of it, but the exercise is helping me to broaden my vocabulary... it's amazing some of the words out there when you really drill them down through a good thesaurus.

Third chair... first, that shot I probably would not have even seen but for some of the influences out there that I really like - I guess this one may have come from the influence of a guy that actually posts to the street photography board I'm a part of, Pascal Fellonneau. That title really comes from the way I ended up framing the shot - there are 4 chairs, and the lamp post splits the row between the third and fourth chair, so I though a title that physically emphasizes that framing sounded better than something more obscure.

If I sat down and wrote a paragraph about each title, I'd never finish my post processing each week! :D So, if you're curious, I suppose you'll have to ask :lol: It's kind of neat that the work caused you to think it through on that level. I don't consider myself anything more than a noob with a passion, but it certainly makes my day when what I've done causes someone to think it through on that level... very satisfying indeed.

Thanks ever so much for your kind words!

Steve

That is what I was thinking on "Third Chair" but, was not sure. I really need to extend my style and not be afraid of making everything so - what is the word? So symmetric I think? I like the idea of using the old Thesaurus for coming up with titles. I will have to experiment a little bit this week and see if I can come up with a couple pics with titles. I think the titles can help the pic or at least compliment it. Sometimes you see a pic and have no idea of what is trying to by conveyed. A title can kind of give a little hint towards the point of the picture or at least create a little thought about a certain picture.

Latest threads

Top Bottom