I don't get it....??

I have taken classes and love photography. Lately I have stopped because I am so darn busy with my teaching job this year. Photog. is my hobby. I have a relative that also loves photography, and am so happy for her.... but she NEVER uses anything but the P button on her camera, and does it all that way. Never A, S, or M. Automatic. Nothing to think about. She would be offended if I told her anything, as her photos are great. Crystal clear, no great lenses either. Do all you out there think it's legit to be a professional (get paid) and never go beyond automatic? I don't feel comfortable discussing it with her.... just admire her work and basically say so. It is good, but not comfortable with it. That's my problem I suppose. Any thoughts out there? Thanks! Maybe you can help me with these feelings; I feel wrong to 'feel' this!

P will probably serve her fine for 90% of her shots.

These DSLRs are smart as heck, and do a very good job all on thier own figuring out what you want. For the most part you can really trust them, and the camera does a good job

however, if she finds a situation where the meter does not understand the scene and what she is trying to do, she is not going to get good results.

its ok to use auto pilot in my view, but it is very wise to learn how it works so you know when the camera is going to fall flat on its face and ntake over.

I never bother. If someone is happy with shooting with nothing but P, or M, or whatever.. so be it. If she gets the results that she's happy with, than what's the harm in that?

There are no "Rules" except the ones you impose upon yourself...

Whatever works for someone is their business, why should you care...?

My favorite mode is A (aperture priority) and could give a rats dang
what someone else thinks...

Photography is an art and every artist has their own style... :wink:

Are you sure she is not Ken Rockwell wearing a wig?

lol
lulza.

Ken Rockwell is the Jeremy Clarkson of photography world.

Interesting articles with hyperbole and highly opinionated. It's always fun to read these types of articles, as long as we bring along the biggest bucket of salt.....

...In The World. :cool:

I'd just let it go. There's photography for everyone and everyone has different needs/wants/aspirations. If she's shooting P all the time, my guess is that she's probably unfamiliar with bokeh or how to intentionally create it. And that's fine if that's not her "thing".

Can a pro be a "pro" and shoot exclusively in P? Not for long. If she's the sort who goes out and shoots a wedding for $200 and the bride/groom think that's on the high side; she might hang in there for a while. Give her a fairly demanding couple who want consistent quality and have specific ideas for the shoot? She'll probably realize quickly she's in over her head. A few bad events like that and she won't be working very often!

Anyhow, don't sweat it. Shoot what you like when you like how you like it and let her enjoy P as long as she wants. Meanwhile keep learning both the art and mechanics of photography and you'll still be enjoying it long after she sells her kit on eBay :tongue:

Thorsten

For all we know, she may have posted somewhere a thread: "I don't get it. My friend is into photography but always fiddles with the exposure settings, aperture and such."

Can we see some of her work?

I think there's nothing wrong with using automatic modes, as long as one works within its limitations. Cameras of today has over a century's worth of technology engineered into it. There will be some photogs who are capable of extracting that advantage.

Think I've only used P like one time...

And I have no clue how to use M mode at all!

A/S all day long for me!

My grandfather and uncle all were photographers for magazines/newspapers growing up with film cameras. Now with their cameras they only use auto because they enjoy not having to thinking about anything but composition. They still will use the M,A,S modes when the camera can't do what he wants it to do.
I would say that let her do what works for her. She might venture out into the other modes when she feels that she can't get the shots that she likes.

To be honest, it would bug me too, especially if she's getting great shots....did you say she is selling her photos?
But it would not diminish the pleasure that I get from shooting manual with my DSLR and interchangable lenses.

I agree with others here - just let it go, since her end results seem to be giving her great shots.

I've even worked with a wedding photographer that only shoots in P mode, including with her hotshoe flash. So far, it's working great for her, as she gets nice shots that every client is happy with.

I've shot as a second for her on two occasions, and we've even incorporated off-camera flashes into the mix during the reception.

She charges around $2000 on average for an engagement/bridal/ceremony/reception package, so she's not Craigslist, but I know that she may be slightly under the going rate in my market.

As long as the client and photographer is happy, just let it be... :smile:

My sister is the same. She has a great eye, which I lack, but takes great photos, usually on P mode, occasionally A, ordinary consumer lenses. A little frustrating for me!

Think I've only used P like one time...

And I have no clue how to use M mode at all!

A/S all day long for me!
Easy, you control both A & S. On my bodies there is rear and front command dial. They are used for this purpose. Probably the same controls on your D3100.

I use M 100% of the time in the studio, and I suspect most people do the same. When you are in control of the lighting, then you don't usually want the camera to guess anything.

Back to the OP subject, I agree with everyone else, if there is an opportunity to teach her about the other settings, IF YOU KNOW for a fact she doesn't understand them, then that's fine. But otherwise I'd let it be. If she knows how they work but choses not to use them, that's her prerogative. If she doesn't know, then I think she is limiting herself, but still you have to wonder if it is your job to show her the way or not :biggrin:

Top Bottom