I don't get no breaks - a sad story

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Oct 14, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi you'll,

It was a rough day. I went out to the wetlands. As I was leaving I told Linda that I was getting worried because the eagles hadn't returned yet and were overdue. I said it would be nice to get a good eagle shot.

Well the day was lousy, grey and overcast. I spent 3 hours in the wetlands and no eagle. I decided to go to Starbucks for a quick cup. As I was driving down the road there was this bald eagle sitting on a power pole. I passed up the shot. I mean a bald eagle on a power pole is like pineapple on pizza.

On the way back there was that shameless eagle still sitting on the power pole so I decided an eagle on a power pole is better than no eagle at all. So I snapped a few shots. I was on the side of the road with traffic whizzing by so I couldn't set up my tripod and these shots were handheld.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got to the wetlands and as I was entering I saw an osprey sitting on THE TREE. I headed on over there and I saw that the osprey was actually a bald eagle. When I got even closer I saw that there was actually two bald eagles in the tree with one on the lower branch. Be still my foolish heart two, not one but two bald eagles on THE TREE.
    Now I had to switch from my 500 to my 80-400 to be able to get both bald eagles in the shot. Naturally as I was in mid lens change one of the eagles took off. No two eagle in THE TREE shot. I don't get no breaks first a power pole now only one eagle. Broken in spirit I snapped off these shots hand held

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then started to set up my tripod and of course the eagle took off before I could finish. I don't get no breaks. Finally these were all taken with my D100 because my D2h is back with Nikon again because its not metering properly again.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Harry, I really, really feel for you....NOT!!!! :eek:

Fantastic shots. :smile:

3. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I wish I had bad days like that :rolleyes:
    Just make sure those guys are around when I'm down there in November. :wink:

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    You're a hard man Frank, a hard man. :biggrin:

Thanks.

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

A "hard day"? Right......we should all have such "bad days".....

Doesn't matter what they were sitting on, great shots....

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Your made my point

Outstanding shots, what a bird !!!

Outstanding Pizza, what a taste revelation !!!!

:biggrin:

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Harry,
    Sure glad the EAgle has landed and will be around.

Hope he shows up for Gordon :>)))

Would not mind a good shot at him myself :>)))

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Chris. If they follow last years pattern they should be regular visitors now.

9. I would love such a “bad day”
    BTW as a New Yorker who moved to CA pineapple and ham on a pizza is not all that bad, its a Hawaiian, but it will never replace a Sicilian with onions and pepperoni :biggrin:

Rich

10. My heart goes out for you Harry I feel so BAD......

11. Nice shots. I love eagles and took a shot of one today but it was too dark. Hope to do better next time. So thanks for sharing yours.

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Ken. The exciting part is that it marks their return and they should be hanging around through the end of spring at least.

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks for the kind words on the shots. As for the pizza you westies just don't have a clue. :biggrin:

14. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Gale,

I think that they will be regulars now that they seem to have established themselves. I'm assuimg that since I saw two at THE TREE that they have returned to last year's nest.

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thanks Rich. Oh that pepperoni and onions, be still my foolish heart. I could almost hop a flight backto NYC to hit some of my favorite pizza spots.

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Harry,
    Last time I was there when Frank was here I did see them at thier nest in that big pine tree wayyyyyy of to the west. Got a couple pic. But you know nothing to write home about ,to far away. But shot it anyway :>))

17. We should all have bad days that include bald eagles... :biggrin:

Gotta take what they give ya! Nice pics - especially hand held.

18. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Ah some sympathy at last. :biggrin:

19. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thanks Jim. They are a tough expsoure with the white head and dark body. I exposed for the head and the body was a bit underexposed. I had to bring out the feather details in my post. Since I was shot the tree shots at ISO 400 & 500 I had a good bit of noise to knock down.

20. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Jim