I don't have the Automatic display switch option

Hi everyone!
I'm totally new with the z6, purchased it today – so please be gentle :) When I opened the camera for the first time, the display/viewfinder switched automatically depending if I was looking through the viewfinder or the LCD display. I found the button where to change this setting and tried the other options too. Suddenly the Automatic Display Switch disappeared. There's only Prioritize Viewfinder, Viewfinder Only and Monitor Only – but no Automatic Display Switch. Does anyone have a hunch what could be the problem? Maybe I enabled some other setting that turned the option off..?

If you do find that you haven't inadvertently turned off the auto display switch, it may be that you have dirt/crud on the sensor. It's that little window at the top of the viewfinder—blow it out or lightly clean it with a swab or cloth.

Hi everyone!
I'm totally new with the z6, purchased it today – so please be gentle :) When I opened the camera for the first time, the display/viewfinder switched automatically depending if I was looking through the viewfinder or the LCD display. I found the button where to change this setting and tried the other options too. Suddenly the Automatic Display Switch disappeared. There's only Prioritize Viewfinder, Viewfinder Only and Monitor Only – but no Automatic Display Switch. Does anyone have a hunch what could be the problem? Maybe I enabled some other setting that turned the option off..?
Welcome. Nearly everyone here is very kind and I have never had a rude reply to any question I have asked. I hope you stick around. I think you'll find the cafe a wonderful place to learn about your Z6. There are a lot of us using the camera here. Have fun with your camera. It's a gem!!

Let me join Nick, Mike and Terri in welcoming you. And let me also add that ALL of us have, at one time or another, been confounded by menus, options and features. Let us know if something we suggest works (or doesn't). There is a depth of experience here that can often save you from a lot of frustration.

You guys ? I didn't expect this many this nice answers! Thank you so much everyone. It's good to be here.

Limit Monitor Mode Selection see what you have turned on/off.

Palouse 's advice worked! I think I had accidentally ticked the Automatic display switch off ?‍♀️

I upgraded from D7100, so I'm super curious to see how this mirrorless, full-frame camera serves me. So excited to do a bigger test shoot as soon as possible.

To answer Mike Buckley's question, I usually use my Nikkor 18–140mm zoom lens or 18-55mm, depending a bit on the situation. I'm stoked to start using them with my new z6. Thank you so much for the tip, I will look into Thom Hogan's Guide.

MNglass, yes! Especially when you have a new camera and you just want to start using it ? Nice to be in a group that has so much knowledge and experience.

Terri French, so nice to hear! Thanks a million, I will stick around for sure.

Thank you again for all the support.

I will look into Thom Hogan's Guide.

Just one quick tip if you buy it, which I recommend: One thing Hogan fails to include in it is that when saving your settings to a memory card, it can't be done if the camera is set to User Setting U1, U2 or U3; the menu item pertaining to saving the settings is inactive in that situation. It took me far too long to realize that we only need to change to any other setting. Once I learned that, it took me even longer to remember it. :eek:

To answer Mike Buckley's question, I usually use my Nikkor 18–140mm zoom lens or 18-55mm, depending a bit on the situation.

I believe those are both DX lenses which will work with your Z6 on the FTZ adapter, but will give you only about 10 MPix images instead of 24 MPix. I hope you got the Nikon Z 24-70S lens with the camera. It's a super lens.

Real Name
Andy
Welcome, Leyla!

I'm late to this thread, but it looks like you've been in good hands. I'll second Jim's comment about the lenses - make sure you try a non-DX lens on the Z6 to experience the full capabilities of its sensor. So far, all of the "S" designated lenses have been nothing short of outstanding in every way, but FX lenses made in F-mount work great as well. Not to mention vintage lenses mounted via the appropriate adapter. Mirrorless cameras open up a realm of nearly universal lens compatibility.

Thanks again for all the advices!

I hope you got the Nikon Z 24-70S lens with the camera.

Make sure you try a non-DX lens on the Z6 to experience the full capabilities of its sensor.

Oh dang, good to know! I'll be sure to purchase a S lens once I have the budget for it.

. . .
Oh dang, good to know! I'll be sure to purchase a S lens once I have the budget for it.
Another vote for the S lenses. If you are on a budget (and who isn't) you might want to look at Fredmiranda.com Buy&Sell ( FM ) or KEH.com. Fredmiranda is often cheaper as they are private sellers; KEH is more expensive but offers a well respected rating system and a 6 month warranty.

Unless you have another camera to use your existing lenses with, strongly consider selling them to decrease the net cost of switching to new lenses. If you're concerned about the amount of time required to save up for an S lens or two, consider selling your existing lenses and buying just one used F-mount FX lens for use with your Z6 and FTZ. That would make far better use of your Z6 than either of your current lenses.

Welcome, Leyla! As you've already seen, people here are willing to share their knowledge and experience, as we all have at one time been in your shoes, starting out with a new camera and having questions and concerns.....

No one seems to have asked this but I didn't see any mention from you of having also purchased or received the FTZ adapter with your new Z6 camera body. Just to make sure you are aware of this, you will not simply be able to stick one of your current F-mount lenses on the new camera without the adapter. If you don't already have the FTZ adapter, you will need one in order to use your existing lenses with the new camera, due to the change in mounting systems, from F-mount to Z-mount. I would hope that someone at the shop where you purchased your new camera provided all the information you would need from the beginning. If your new Z6 body came with a native S lens as part of a kit, then you're OK, as at least you'd have that for starters.

The first few hours or days with new gear is always a bit disconcerting......it'll all sort itself out in the end as you familiarize yourself more with the camera and what it can do -- enjoy!!!

MNglass, thanks for the links! I'll be sure to check them out. My problem is though that I'm located in Norway and the customs rules here are terrible. If I order from outside of Norway, I need to pay 25% taxes + some extra customs fees ?‍♀️ So I probably need to find a local place to buy my used S lens. But thank you regardless!

Mike Buckley, that's a great tip. I need to think about it a bit. I was considering still keeping my old DSLR, as a backup camera. But you are right, selling my old gear would speed up my saving..

Clix Pix, thanks for the input! Yes, I did get the adapter. But unfortunately the salesman didn't mention anything about the DR objectives lowering the mpixels.. I asked a lot of questions whether they suit the z6 camera and he convinced me that they do, without mention anything about the megapixels. Nevertheless, I do want to jump on the mirrorless Z wagon, so I think I will just have to save up and invest in a good Z lens, possible an used one, hopefully in the near future.

Thanks again all!

Welcome, and enjoy your new Z6...
Just in case you didn't know, the reason for a smaller Mp using DX lenses compared to FX lenses is that it crops the photo.
This is an example if your standing in the same spot and using the same FL is the difference between a DX lens to an FX lens...

Nikon-DX-vs-FX.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thank you soxOZ! That picture demonstrates it very well. I've learned so much in this process ?

Btw, good news everyone! I returned the camera body and replaced it with the kit instead, one that includes Z 24-70mm f/4 S (plus also the adapter). Would've of course preferred to have the f/2,8 S, but this has to do now. Just took a few test shots, and the combo is already feeling so much better. So thank you all, without you I would've probably been wondering for a while why my photos are looking like crap ?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thank you soxOZ! That picture demonstrates it very well. I've learned so much in this process ?

Btw, good news everyone! I returned the camera body and replaced it with the kit instead, one that includes Z 24-70mm f/4 S (plus also the adapter). Would've of course preferred to have the f/2,8 S, but this has to do now. Just took a few test shots, and the combo is already feeling so much better. So thank you all, without you I would've probably been wondering for a while why my photos are looking like crap ?
Excellent decision, Leyla! So glad the store worked with you to get you the proper gear you need!!!!! Not only will you love mirrorless, you will love "moving up" to a full frame (FX) camera body and lenses!

BTW - what are your favorite subjects to photograph?

Btw, good news everyone! I returned the camera body and replaced it with the kit instead, one that includes Z 24-70mm f/4 S (plus also the adapter).

That is excellent news, indeed! Such a great combination. I use that lens more than any other on my Z6. If I had to be limited for the next ten years to one camera and one lens, it would be that pair that I would choose.

You mentioned that you live in Norway. When my wife and I vacationed about ten days in the Lofoton islands, we stayed most of the time in a rorbu across the harbor from Reine. Absolutely the most magical scenery we've ever seen. It's so beautiful that there are often photos of it, such as automatically displayed by Microsoft when we turn on our computer. Almost all of those photos display the rorbu we stayed in.

Latest threads

Top Bottom