I don't like change

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by huskey8, Aug 22, 2005.

1. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    Did I miss something...................when I went to bed last night the cafe was the same comfortable place it has always been. This morning I stumble over for a cup off coffee and this this ..........thing is here. What happened ?

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL

Change isn't bad and in the case of Nikon Cafe, this could be the start of some great, new possibilities. I certainly was confused when I tried to log on earlier this morning...and even more confused when the site opened in it's new form. After a few hours, we'll all be accustom to our new home.

3. They decided that us old farts needed larger fonts without even asking - talk about easier on the eyes!! LOL We'll get used to it in a few days....

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Richard,

It will take some getting used to, but we believe that this will be much better in the long run. There are some neat new features, and the speed should be better. Just bear with us for a few days and see if it doesn't grow on you. :smile:

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I think I like it

It is growing on me fast..
    No one likes change but this looks to be much better one we get used to it.

6. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    Sandi You always make me smile I guess Im getting old sorry didn't mean to make a fuss over this. Im sure that Frank and Patrick have put a lot of hard work into getting this up and running.

7. Agree. I was a bit confused in the beginning but after 15 minutes, I figured it out. Hey, I even uploaded a new avatar.

8. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    I, too, was surprised when I hit my favorites button and got the new login screen. BUT, once I remembered my password, all the helpful information from Patrick and Paul made the transition easy and now I don't even remember what the old forum looked like! This looks like the beginning of an even better Nikon Cafe and I want to say many thanks to Patrick, Paul and all the others that work so hard to make this such a fun place.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm not sure what has happened, but it seems harder to navigate than before. My avatar has disappeared and according to the info at the bottom of the page, I am not allowed to post any attachments (photos).

10. I'll hold my comments for 24-48 hours to adjust.

Meanwhile I'll look for the "better" new stuff. Not finding it yet.

where's my spellcoww?

11. This morning has been a little challenge but I am gradually finding me way around. It's natural to oppose change but I believe that it will all turn out for the best. Thanks Patrick, Frank and Monte for getting this up and running. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2005
  12. So far so good. I like new stuff.:tongue:

13. It will be interesting to check out the new features. Have to wait till I get home to update profile with new goodies. Needed to change the avatar anyway. ;)

14. Patience is a virtue. After a little surfing I have uploaded my Avatar, posted some new messages, completed a search for a member, purged all my old PM's, navigated the forum and edited a message. Still struggling a little but it is coming. I think we will all like it after a few days.

15. It was a shock at first, but I can take it...

And I'm trying a new avatar as it seems to be the trend.

16. some features I like!

Baywing, you have to log in again and make sure your firewall is accepting cookies from here, that was something new for me. Not sure if I like having to hit a button before typing a quick reply but all in all, I like it, esp the size!! LOL Sure beats that miniature font over "there" LOL :)

A couple of things I really like:
    ability to delete messages (sometimes we reply to the wrong thread, or change our minds once we actually see it up)
    the ability to block messages by specific people: I'm blocking all messages by anyone owning a 500mm lens so I don't drool all over my keyboard and so I don't set my credit cards on fire!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2005
  17. See I have some work cut out for me tonight when I get home..............looking forward to seeing the new features, but this may take a bit for this dog to figure out and get use to!. LOL

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks good Mike. :smile:

19. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I have logged back in, and I think the cookies are ok, I can post, edit, reply, just not post attachments. Sounds like everyone's avatars were dumped....

20. Nice way to start my day...

First thought was that my bookmark had been redirected. Then I realized it was still the Nikon Cafe, just a new version. Three tries later, I got my user name/password correctly.

Nice welcome... an error message about too many email messages. No problem. It only takes 10 minutes to figure out how to delete all my "sent" posts.

Dang, my avatar is gone. Fumble to the control panel tp reinstall, but get an error message. Oh, the max size has been reduced from 110 pixels to 100 pixels. Open Photoshop, resize, resave, and then re-install.

OK, now I'm cooking. Let's see some posts. Argh... everything is threaded. Another trip to the control panel, and after some investigation, change the presentation to Oldest First.

Now let's see if I can make a post. Hmmm, no tags... but the software is so smart now that it does "intelligent parsing". Cool! Let's test it with one of the pics I took yesterday. Insert link to pbase, and preview. Dang again. The intelligent parsing interprets the link as a URL. Let's go to the help page.

Great, there's a section on imbedding pictures. Paul says all I have to do is hit the picture icon. OK, let's do another test post. Where's that icon???

So now I'm over an hour into the New Cafe, I've got an empty mailbox, a smaller avatar, can't figure out how to embed a picture... or to insert an icon in this message... and I haven't had my coffee yet . I think I'll wait a while until this has settled out.

Sure would have been cool if there had been some advanced warning of the change.