I don't like change

Frank, Check the box at the lower left, if it like mine, it says I am not allowed to post images. Don't know why....

I did go into the preferences and changed the layout thingy by bumping it up one notch to a mid-point setting. Seems like I get the icon now, though the box at the bottom left still says I can't do attachments....

Last edited by a moderator:
Baywing -

I could be wrong but I believe there is a difference in embedding an image (which is actually located on another server -- the way pictures are normally done on the Cafe) and posting attachments.

I believe posting attachments would be used if you wanted to include a file with your note that could then be downloaded by other users, which we typically don't do here. For example, someone might have a NEF file that they wanted to share with others, so they would attach it to posting. The server space and network bandwidth that would consume could add up very quickly, so it probably makes sense that the Cafe doesn't support that.

Linking in a picture isn't normally considered to be an "attachment" by most BBS systems, and as far as I can tell that part seems to still work (although I haven't posted one recently).

PGB

Baywing said:
I have logged back in, and I think the cookies are ok, I can post, edit, reply, just not post attachments. Sounds like everyone's avatars were dumped....
Attachments are stored on the nikoncafe server, i have disabled that feature.

Posting a picture you should be able to do that by using the img tags like on the previous forum.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Bay, David is correct. Attachments have not been turned on yet. We do plan to turn them on, and they will be used exactly as David has outlined.

I think you can post images now, right? (Didn't I see a whale shot that you just posted.)

Thanks Flew, I just deleted it because it didnt fit into the vein of this discussion.... I really like the ability to have all the messages in threads showing rather than clicking next page, etc etc. Going to take a while to figure it all out but all in all, I like it!!

Yep, I had to go into the options section and kick up one of the settings, but I think I'm ok for now.

TOLady said:
They decided that us old farts needed larger fonts without even asking - talk about easier on the eyes!! LOL We'll get used to it in a few days....
It's the bright yellow that is bothering my old eyes. I liked the sedate blue. It kept me from getting too wound up. On the other hand, the new format will keep me conscious during my posting and might keep me out of trouble.

I haven't figured out yet how to put my icons where I want. They don't go where the cursor is blinking.

My initial impression, I prefer the old color scheme but maybe the new one will grow on me. The new layout doesn't seem to make as efficient use of screen real estate, for some reason it just seems "busier". Also typing in smiley codes doesn't seem to work, you have to use the actual picture icons in the editor. One of the other forums I frequent just made a similar change in forum software. There are some advantages to the new software, it definitely has more features. But some of the features are similar but slightly different compared to the old software and are just going to take some time getting used to.

B

Brew

Test test, just checking the new home!!!!

I'll get used to it quickly, no problem here...ecept iell mis the spel chek...

Wow!!!! An eye opener for me.

What a big surprise to find out about the changes. I'm sure many are going through or have gone through trying to figure out the new changes to the Cafe. I'm not sure if this is going to get posted so this is also a test to the new software changes. I've got to spend some time programing my head to the new changes and see if I can mantain.
Pete

gho

Well I LIKE IT!

It seems a lot faster.

But I really don't like the threaded stuff. Me, I'm a minimalist, and although it makes it easier who's responding to who, it makes making a response more time consuming and more prone to error - post a reply to the starter in a sub thread.

But hey, it's all cool. I love change and waking up to something completely new. Like a holiday in a far off land.

But me, I'm kinda used to change, as I was a system's analyst/consultant before.

N

nfoto

Bigger fonts are always welcome, but otherwise I'm not very impressed at all. The colour scheme, in particular the light yellow, is grating on the eyes. And the screen space is poorly utilised with lots and lots of "white space" making it necessary to run the browser in a large window just to get some overview. A real hassle even on my big monitors.

All changes are not always positive. I think I'm going to concentrate on other web fora for a while instead of participating on the Café.

It's So Easy...They Have Italians Doing It!

The lower left corner box says that I an not allowed to post attachments but I read the post by Patrick and thought that I'd give it a try and it worked just fine. Put a
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
and "BAM", the image appears....amazing stuff!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom