1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I don't like change

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by huskey8, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Frank, Check the box at the lower left, if it like mine, it says I am not allowed to post images. Don't know why....

I did go into the preferences and changed the layout thingy by bumping it up one notch to a mid-point setting. Seems like I get the icon now, though the box at the bottom left still says I can't do attachments....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2005
  2. Baywing -

I could be wrong but I believe there is a difference in embedding an image (which is actually located on another server -- the way pictures are normally done on the Cafe) and posting attachments.

I believe posting attachments would be used if you wanted to include a file with your note that could then be downloaded by other users, which we typically don't do here. For example, someone might have a NEF file that they wanted to share with others, so they would attach it to posting. The server space and network bandwidth that would consume could add up very quickly, so it probably makes sense that the Cafe doesn't support that.

Linking in a picture isn't normally considered to be an "attachment" by most BBS systems, and as far as I can tell that part seems to still work (although I haven't posted one recently).

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Attachments are stored on the nikoncafe server, i have disabled that feature.

Posting a picture you should be able to do that by using the img tags like on the previous forum.

[​IMG]

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2005
  4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bay, David is correct. Attachments have not been turned on yet. We do plan to turn them on, and they will be used exactly as David has outlined.

I think you can post images now, right? (Didn't I see a whale shot that you just posted.)

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks good to me Sandi. :smile:

6. Thanks Flew, I just deleted it because it didnt fit into the vein of this discussion.... I really like the ability to have all the messages in threads showing rather than clicking next page, etc etc. Going to take a while to figure it all out but all in all, I like it!!

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Yep, I had to go into the options section and kick up one of the settings, but I think I'm ok for now.

8. JordanLFW

JordanLFW Guest

Am I the only one who doesn't like the colors?

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    It's the bright yellow that is bothering my old eyes. I liked the sedate blue. It kept me from getting too wound up. On the other hand, the new format will keep me conscious during my posting and might keep me out of trouble.

I haven't figured out yet how to put my icons where I want. They don't go where the cursor is blinking.

11. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    My initial impression, I prefer the old color scheme but maybe the new one will grow on me. The new layout doesn't seem to make as efficient use of screen real estate, for some reason it just seems "busier". Also typing in smiley codes doesn't seem to work, you have to use the actual picture icons in the editor. One of the other forums I frequent just made a similar change in forum software. There are some advantages to the new software, it definitely has more features. But some of the features are similar but slightly different compared to the old software and are just going to take some time getting used to.

12. Brew

Brew Guest

Test test, just checking the new home!!!!

I'll get used to it quickly, no problem here...ecept iell mis the spel chek...

13. Oh heck, this is going tp take a technically challanged old fart like me a bit of getting used too.
    Where is the spell check?

BW. Bob F.

14. Wow!!!! An eye opener for me.

What a big surprise to find out about the changes. I'm sure many are going through or have gone through trying to figure out the new changes to the Cafe. I'm not sure if this is going to get posted so this is also a test to the new software changes. I've got to spend some time programing my head to the new changes and see if I can mantain.
    Pete

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like you caught on just fine Pete. :smile:

16. Hmmmmm....nice, but....we'll see if this works.....so far can't load avatar...

17. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well I LIKE IT!

It seems a lot faster.

But I really don't like the threaded stuff. Me, I'm a minimalist, and although it makes it easier who's responding to who, it makes making a response more time consuming and more prone to error - post a reply to the starter in a sub thread.

But hey, it's all cool. I love change and waking up to something completely new. Like a holiday in a far off land.

But me, I'm kinda used to change, as I was a system's analyst/consultant before.

18. The new look is great.

Doubtless it'll take a little time for us all to get up to speed, but I think it's a major improvement.

Thanks and kudos to all concerned.

19. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Bigger fonts are always welcome, but otherwise I'm not very impressed at all. The colour scheme, in particular the light yellow, is grating on the eyes. And the screen space is poorly utilised with lots and lots of "white space" making it necessary to run the browser in a large window just to get some overview. A real hassle even on my big monitors.

All changes are not always positive. I think I'm going to concentrate on other web fora for a while instead of participating on the Café.

20. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It's So Easy...They Have Italians Doing It!

The lower left corner box says that I an not allowed to post attachments but I read the post by Patrick and thought that I'd give it a try and it worked just fine. Put a [​IMG] and "BAM", the image appears....amazing stuff!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.