I don't like having my photo taken........by a photographer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rob_H, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Rob_H

Rob_H

Apr 10, 2009
    A bit of a rambling thought:

Any one who has shot any kind of event be it a wedding, a party an award evening or whatever will have been meet by the phrase "I don't like having my photo taken" but yet these days people seem incapable of going to an event without taking a selfie to share on social media to prove they were there. So why are people happy to taken there own photos but yet anti having there photo taken by someone else? Is it about being in control of how one is portrayed or is it timing (there is normally a window of opportunity at parties where I have started to relax and I' not yet over relaxed) and the event photographer is not always around when people are in the right frame of mind to get there photo taken?

The other weekend a good friend of mine (who's a exceptional photographer) got married and asked if I could amongst other things build him a photobooth for the wedding reception. I was amazed how forthcoming the guests were to get there photos taken by a machine, doning crazy poses & props a ultimately building up a set of photos which captured pretty much all the guests in a very relaxed style better than I could of if I was to walk around with a camera trying to capture the evening.

So do people really "not like having their photo taken" or is it the presence of a photographer which they don't like?

2. There seems to be a belief by some these days that being photographed by a third party is only appropriate if permission is given. That one has the right not to be photographed in public. Some choose to exercise that "right" and can get very nasty about it. I respect their wish since an image of someone not wanting to be photographed is not particularly attractive.

3. When I first read the title, I was thinking it was photographers who do not like that picture taken (I fall into that group!).

I guess they think if they take the photo, they are in control of it, not realizing the moment they put it on any of the social media sites it is out there for all.

4. crazy

crazy

Feb 5, 2009
    NC
    When shooting weddings back in the day, I experienced this once after taking a shot of a 3 year old twirling around during the reception. Although her parents said nothing, I sensed their discomfort and immediately stopped taking shots of her.

While I greatly enjoy viewing candid people shots, I do not take them, given the unpredictability of peoples' reactions. With today's media exposure and potential for a situaution to be taken out of character/context, I just avoid that rat's nest.

5. 480sparky

480sparky

May 27, 2013
    Cornpatch
    Some people are just overly self-conscious. They may not like their appearance, or don't like getting all doodied up in fancy duds.

With a photo booth, at least they have the ability to not use it by thier own choice.

6. If they turn you down, give 'em permission to make duck faces! :devil:

7. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    What always gets me is the photographer who shoots street scenes but doesn't want to be photographed him/her self...

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Panther,
    I shoot mostly Candid Street, and am usually wearing a Boonie Hat, photo vest and carrying three or four cameras when doing so. Thus I am often photographed by others, either covertly, or sometimes after they've stopped to talk and ask about my gear (all old manual focus film bodies and lenses). Either way, I don't care. What are they going to do with those photographs anyway? Photoshop me having sex with a goat, and put the pictures on Facebook? Let them knock themselves out.
    Makes no never mind to me.
    Robert

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ah, the proverbial photo "Christmas tree" :ROFLMAO::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I think photographers recognize all the ways subjects can look unflattering in photos. We are vain, but well informed.

11. OK, I don't do weddings, but I do lots of sports events, and some others like concerts, fundraisers, etc.

I'm always amazed that no one objects to getting their photo taken. I can't remember the last one that tried to duck away, or objected. All too often they are the opposite, mugging for the camera instead of being natural. And for reasons that still baffle me, millennials seem to think sticking the tongue out has replaced smiling. But it's not just young people - I'm in SW Florida, and it's retirement central -- old folks come to these games and mug for the camera.

I try to duck away from cameras myself, and I seem to remember when I was young most people did.

One of the baseball players I was chatting with the other day summed it up. I asked him "what kind of action shots do you like best" for baseball. His answer was "Any of me".

I've really gotten away from bothering to ask "do you mind". My bigger trouble is I really want to shout "DO YOU MIND!!" when they are jumping in front of me. I sometimes shoot baseball from the stands. I've had people literally come stand in front of the lens, their face about 2' from the front, wanting me to take their photo (and yes, while a play was going on I might want to shoot!).

So if there are still photo-shy people out there, they don't come visit this area much.

12. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I read all of these comments with some surprise because I have taken photographs of complete strangers — and their children — all over the World and have never had an unfriendly re-action from anyone.

Sometimes in public places like a Market Place, someone shows reluctance when I ask if I can photograph them, but once some of their friends get involved in the fun, the reluctant ones always want to be photographed too and it quickly becomes quite a joyous event.

Being able to show people their pictures instantly on the LCD has made it so much easier to break the ice but in earlier years we would often take a small Polaroid camera with us and give away a few colour prints.

I think I realise the reason for the difference between my experiences and what everyone else has written (and you are going to think this is totally unfair!) but I suspect that Gender is what makes the difference: perhaps people don't feel threatened by a female Photographer.

The other thing may be that I always use big cameras (and never a cell phone) so it is immediately obvious that I am taking photographs and there is nothing surreptitious or suspicious about my actions.

13. Rob_H

Rob_H

Apr 10, 2009
    Thanks everyone for you replies, I'm finding it fascinating the different responses that different photographers get when photographing people, please keep them coming