1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I don't need a AF-D 85/1.4 (update on page 3)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by SicKb0y, Jul 28, 2009.

1. lowell5

lowell5

Jan 23, 2009
    san diego
    looks pretty good!

2. Love the bench shot!

3. pbcstylez

pbcstylez

Mar 21, 2009
    BayArea, CA
    lovely shots so far, mind tellin me where you got it and how much you paid?

4. d10redwolf

d10redwolf

Apr 13, 2009
    China
    :biggrin: I just got my couple 2 days ago in Hong Kong.

Love it too!!!

DSC_9920.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5. d10redwolf

d10redwolf

Apr 13, 2009
    China

Got mine in Fortress in HK for 7380HKD. Just under $950USD.:Love:

6. d10redwolf

d10redwolf

Apr 13, 2009
    China
    :tongue: opps my bad. I got the Nikon 85mm F1.4

7. I have been very interested in this lens mainly because of the price but too bad it does not AF. Wouldn't that be a steal.

8. d10redwolf

d10redwolf

Apr 13, 2009
    China
    If the Zeiss would focus I would of probably gotten that instead!!!

9. intruder61

intruder61

Dec 16, 2008
    australia
    congrats sickboy.... you will love it.

10. Hi Sickboy.

Congrats from another Samyang user as well.

This thing is really great wide open - not that great blow f/4. But who buys such a lens to go f/11 oder f/16 ?

I got mine here in Germany for 235 EUR, and I love it. Focusing isn't that easy, even on FX. But when it works, it works out fine.

Have fun

Mattes

11. Reviews seem to point out this lens is made to shoot wide open, and then is so-so stopped down. To be honest, I'd expect more manufacturers to build their fast primes like that. What's the point of having a fast prime lens stopped down? Defeats the purpose!

12. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    This lens is high up on my want list... Not sure if I want to go with this or a 50mm F/1.2... I don't plan on leaving DX any time soon (I like my long lenses extra long :biggrin:)  so perhaps the F/1.2 is more desirable for DX users?

13. Hi,

you sig says you already own a 50/1.8. I don't think another 50 would bring you much further.

The bokeh and DOF of a 85/1.4 is unique and very unable on DX.

It will be tough to focus either lens wide open ...

Regards

Mattes

14. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Mattes,

The f/1.2 is nearly 2 stops faster than the 50mm f/1.8. I used to own a 55mm f/1.2 pre-AI and it was an amazing lens. I sold it to help finance a 400mm lens though. I've got the ultimate long lens now - 500mm f/4 P, so I no long have to play the upgrade game on the long end.

Since you mention the overlap with the 50 f/1.8 and f/1.2, I wonder what sort of overlap the Samyang would have with my 85 f/1.8... The Nikon 85 f/1.8 is an awesome lens, but I have a heck of a time getting superior results wide open. I think I probably need to sit down and do an AF Fine Tune on it.

15. Very nice but the bokeh isn't quite as good as the Nikkor.

Bruce

16. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Not quite almost 2, but exactly 1 stop. I do own both the AIS f/1.2 and AF-D f/1.8 and to be honest, I don't use the AF lens at all. There is no overlap in my mind, the image quality is so different. The AIS lens is not super sharp not does it have exceptionally smooth boke, but the this DOF usually makes up for the busy boke.

A sample from last February, wide open:
    Nuclear winter

3244455068_b93b342b8d_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

17. onemorelens

onemorelens

Jul 3, 2007
    california
    Totally agree! I shoot the 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 200/2 within 2 stops of wideopen > 99% of the time and within 1 stop 90% of the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.