I don't want to have to use Capture, but...

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by KsJET, Jun 18, 2007.

1. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    my photos don't look as good when pp'd with ACR and PSE5. Why is it that when I open an image in Capture, it looks so much better than in ACR. Is it because it applies the in camera settings to the NEF file and ACR does not?

Also, when I do my base adjustments in Capture, save as a .jpg, open in PSE to do defog, additional editing and USM, the result is not as nice as doing defog and USM in Capture even though I am using the same parameters.

Capture is terribly slow and upgrading my computer is not an option at this time. I would really like to get the same results using ACR and PSE or possibly Lightroom which I am considering.

Can anyone explain to me why I would be getting such different results? I can post an example with the workflow if that would help.

Thanks!

2. Kellie, I don't know about Capture, but I do know that I am achieving great results with Lightroom.
    ACR/lightroom will use their own settings not the camera settings so there will be different results. I use a preset that I have worked to get the results I want which is applied on import and go from there.
    As I test Lightroom for Adobe so there is my interest. There will be a new version out soon as well which will be a free upgrade.

Samples would be good too. You can email me a file if you like: service@villageimage.co.nz for a whiz through Lightroom on my Mac.

3. Nothing, so far, can do as good a job as Capture or NX. I use NX and IMHO, it does the superior job on conversions. Yes, I tried LR, but it really does not play well with NX. I have iView Media Pro as my main work table, so to speak, and go in and out of that to NX or PSE, then just rebuild in iView and it shows all the changes. Even the new ACR maybe close and I guess if you fiddle a bit you could get even closer, but why bother, IMHO.

Cheers
    Nancy

4. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    Thank you Geoff and Nancy! I finally have a set workflow in NX, so I guess I really should stick with it. I might try the Lightroom trial as well just to see how I like it.

Geoff, once I download that trial I will email you a file to see what you can do with it. :smile:

5. Look forward to it Kellie.