1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I feel free! No more DX!

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by JPHoush, Sep 1, 2008.

1. JPHoush

JPHoush

Jun 7, 2008
    Illinois
    I've been a hobby photographer since I was in high school (over 30 years ago) and full frame, film-based cameras have been so ingrained in my shooting style that the 1.5 crop factor did not seem acceptable to me. I was checking out DSLRs back in 2002 and found it to be just too limiting. I kept with my F100 and was satisfied. I looked at my fleet of lenses and I couldn't believe that my beloved wides and ultra-wides were going to be "knee-capped" by a tiny sensor. I waited 5 years for Nikon to get with the program and come out with a reasonably priced FF DSLR. I got tired of waiting and pulled the trigger on a D300 last year and found it to be a nice camera, but the crop factor was more than irritating. I ordered a D700 and just got it a few days ago. As soon as I put my 14-24mm and 24-70mm lenses on it, I felt like I had been released from prison. What a huge difference. I am now a happy camper. If DX is all that you know, that's OK. But, for those that have spent time behind a film-based SLR, FF is what you are looking for. Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!

2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Congrats, JP :biggrin:. Now let's see some images!

3. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Wait for me wait for me... I've been DX-lens free for a while but don't have my D700 yet. Been badly teased by Francis though since I have a couple of Sigma f/1.8 and one Nikkor f/1.4 wide angles waiting to be freed from the DX dungeon.... and Francis mercilessly bombards this forum with the shots. :smile:

4. I know what you're saying, FX is a breath of fresh air.

5. I've mostly bought FF lens over the last two years, anticipaint the D3 and more importantly the D700. But this summer, with the D700 imminent I made a decision that I would keep and use the D300 as my main camera for at least the next year, and then keep it as backup as the D700 (or equivalent) entered my future kit.

Accordingly I invested in a 17-50mm Tamron DX lens late this summer, and couldn't be more pleased. If you are in DX either by choice or by economics, and you don't own Nikon's own 17-55, you really ought to consider this lens. It is constant f/2.8, well built, compact, very sopisticated in its design, and as a result, sharp even wide open from 17mm on up.

I am convinced that so long as I am shooting in decent to mildly dim light, the D300 does as well as the D3. I love available light shooting and so the D3 or D700 is a logical upgrade for me, but DX does not have to be crippling. It just has to be confronted on its own terms, IMO.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

congrats JP...Harry, others like u started out FX with simular plans but once they warmed up to their FX and got addicted the poor 300 got lonely and eventually SOLD ..lol

it won't be long and fx as we now know it will be the consumer staple. start thinking affordable digital medium format and it's ilk. it's only a matter of time.

;-)))

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

cough cough ..lol
    :wink:

8. The D700 and 14-24 has me playing and having fun again. By that, I shoot photos for the heck of it, not because someone is paying me to shoot.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  9. I know what you mean , and I started with film SLR about 45 yrs. ago. I will go FX soon , but that does not mean that I'm not happy with DX. I can live very happily with either or both formats .

10. Welcome to the EXPENSIVE world of FX......but it's all worth it. :eek: 

11. LOL
    Transitioning from the F100 to the D100 was bittersweet for me. I loved the immediacy of digital but not the format. And although the D100 is a fine camera it's not even close to the F100 (which is a awesome film camera). I graduated my way to the D300 and thought we had finally come close to getting a digital F100 (asides from the format crop). DX has its place - the pixel density of DX has a definite advantage over FX for the big glass shooter. But for me FX is king. I will probably have both formats for some time to come but I can't let my FX camera talk to my DX camera and tell it why it sits in a cool dark place being unused most of the time. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.