I feel like the dog who caught the car.......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DAVE VAN, Sep 27, 2005.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have been submitting my monster truck photos to various sites and organizations dealing with the sport. I am now starting to get inquiries about my photos. Below is an email that I received today;

"Hello,

I was curious what it would take to bring you on board as a photographer of ___________.com. Your photos would be seen exclusivly on ________.com of events you covered. We can offer media credentials for each event, and other various things pending on the event, location, and promoter, etc...

Please let me know, you have some awesome shots and we'd love to have you on board as our new site is being wrapped up for launch!

Shawn Smith
    Owner / Founder
    ____________.com"

I really don't know how to respond to this email. Am I reading this right that my photos would be the property of this website? How would you respond to this or counter offer? Any advise would be appreciated.

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Sounds to me like they want you to work for them, which means they own the images (seen exclusively..). It doesn't mention anything about compensation to you, other than an attempt on their part to get you press access to events. If you are interested in it further, I'd ask them loads of questions.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wheres The Beef......$$$$$$$$$$$$$

4. Don't fall into the trap of doing it for the exposure/experience.
    A ticket to the event (if you are working it) is not compensation.
    Work out an hourly rate, include expenses, travel etc.. Or sell
    your work on a per shot basis. But never for free or exposure.
    If all they are offering is exposure, walk away your equipment
    and time are worth money.

Just my $.02

Robin

5. Their opening sentence asks for your fee requirements. Dont be too bashful, your work is quite good. just open a professional dialogue with them, be fair and honest and it will go well for you.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It might warrant a telephone call and maybe a meeting...but "don't fall for the banana in the tailpipe"!!!

7. shudderbug2

shudderbug2

Mar 25, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    1st line says it all

He asks what it would take to have you as their photographer. Do Monster truck guys buy shots? Can you sell your shots? What percentage will you have to give to sell shots? Will you have exclusives on sales? These are some of the questions I'd ask.

Hope this helps!

8. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    These are the exact questions that I asked him. So far I haven't received a reply from him. Basicly it seems that CCE (Clear Channel Entertainment) has a lock on the rights on the trucks. I was told by some that they wouldn't take kindly to me trying to sell the photos. There are a lot of independant driver/teams out there who haven't hit the big time yet (USHRA-CCE) who would actually like the publicity.

9. Pretty interesting. Let us know how it goes alright?

10. shudderbug2

shudderbug2

Mar 25, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Dave, sounds like a wait and see

I've covered events from a media perspective where someone else had the exclusive rights to photos, etc. I got paid (not too much) to cover for other media publications. I ended up becoming friends with the guy that shoots for the series (exclusive sales) and it turned out that there were more events then he could cover so he asked me if I'd like to go cover events for him.

It ended up being a win/win situation. Just because you don't make all the money right now shouldn't stop you from doing it. On the other hand don't get taken advantage of either. Your time is worth something. If they give you enough to cover expenses and buy you a beer when it's done then I'd give that a try one or 2 times and see where things lead. Just don't do it for free or where it's going to cost you money but also look at this as an opportunity to get your foot in the door. Don't price yourself out of the house if you know what I mean.

Good luck and keep us posted.

11. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    Beware of CCE

"Basicly it seems that CCE (Clear Channel Entertainment) has a lock on the rights on the trucks. I was told by some that they wouldn't take kindly to me trying to sell the photos."

Your sentence says it all. Things are done their way and their way only. My buddy use to, I said use to, manage one of their TV stations.

Take the others advice. Do not work for peanuts.