I finally bought a Z6

I have one lens in both mounts, and the native mount one is IMO, much nicer to use on the Z bodies. I also prefer the images from it compared to using the F mount one with the FTZ adapter.
That makes perfect sense to me because you're comparing an S lens with one that is not; the S lenses have a fabulous reputation for quality, so I would expect them to be better.

However, that comparison is not the comparison you made earlier when you mentioned that non-native macro lenses don't work as well on the Z bodies as the other bodies. There is no native macro lens for the Z bodies, so until one is released we can't compare a native macro with a non-native macro. If the native macro isn't better, I would be shocked and disappointed.

That makes perfect sense to me because you're comparing an S lens with one that is not; the S lenses have a fabulous reputation for quality, so I would expect them to be better.

However, that comparison is not the comparison you made earlier when you mentioned that non-native macro lenses don't work as well on the Z bodies as the other bodies. There is no native macro lens for the Z bodies, so until one is released we can't compare a native macro with a non-native macro. If the native macro isn't better, I would be shocked and disappointed.
Possibly my comment was not correct. I was referring to using a lens with a Z mount compared to using the same lens with a F mount. Lensbaby make lenses to suit various mounts. I have the same lens in both mounts.

Anyway, we're taking this threat well off topic...

the price got so low I had to try one. I ordered the Z6 and FTZ adaptor only, no glass. My plan is to shoot the 500pf on the z6 for the silent shutter in my backyard. A silent shutter will change everything. From 1-2 opps on a perched bird it will be 8-10 if it stays quiet. My birds are very close, a mockingbird will fill the frame.
Eventually I want to get a general purpose native zoom and make this my travel setup (it's a D500 + 16-80 now)

Anybody else buy a Z6 with no native lenses ?
I bought a Z7 two days ago. Using a AFP 70-300 dx and a Sigma 18-35 1.8 DX, both in crop work amazing and even though the image size is smaller they look better than my Z50. All my F mount lenses are great on both Z bodies.

Real Name
David
Congrats. Silent shutter can be handy.

The Z's are still just VERY interesting to me. When the compact primes, and the 24-105 + 100-400 are released, I'll probably have a much closer look. I guess the same would be true if they released a higher end DX, though I would rather a 400-500mm eq for my longer telephoto and the 50-250 being only 375mm falls just a little short. It's a problem I also have with Fuji's system (options are only to 345mm or 600mm). I don't mind using adapters on occasion, but I don't want to have to use them for my basic range requirements.

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
when you 1st opened the box and turned the Z6 on did it ask you timezone, etc ?
also was there a plastic protector over the LCD ?

I think the one I got may have been returned once already

Some people are indicating to press the "I" button. Some people are indicating to press the bottom right button. You can use either button to access the release mode setting.

Pressing the "I" button provides access to the pertinent setting as well as many other settings. To change the current release mode setting, you have to touch that icon on the screen and then touch the desired setting. Pressing the other button provides immediate access to all release mode settings, which eliminates one step required when using the "I" button.

So, if you want to change the release mode setting and at least one other setting, it would be faster to do so by pressing the "I" button. If you want to change only the release mode setting, it would be faster to do so by pressing the other button.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom