I finally did it

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Dec 1, 2005.

1. I just found out the first d200 shipments won't take place until the last week of December. I was devasted, so in a fit of "comfort shopping", I bought an 85/1.4D. Do you think it will help?

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Definately! Now lets see some silky backgrounds.

ps, don't giggle, this is how I really look!

3. Congrats! A great lens has found a great home.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent move Frank. I can't wait to see the results with that lens and the D200. :Devil:

5. I know better. This is what you look like.

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    YES!!!!!! Only a few weeks behind me Frank.

In fact mine got it's first official workout last night. A choral concert, available light, all shot at 1.4 and ISO 800 on the D70, and with the theatre lighting I was around 1/80-1/200 of a second. So Cool!! Very few blury photos, mainly just my problems with the narrow depth of field and not being careful on subject selection. Shot spot focus and spot metering. I will see if i can dig up an image of an adult, I don't want to post photos of the high school kids without permission.

By the way, the 35mm f2, which I also used, just didn't have the snap or pop wide open like the 85mm 1.4 or even my 50mm 1.4 and at f2 the shutter speeds were of course slower. Also the 35mm f2 just didn't like the hotspots on the stage as well as the 85mm. They seemed a bit more pronounced. Interesting.

Congrats Frank!

Wade

7. Hi UF!

Great lens. Great stuff. You'll love it. We all wait for your samples!

Now, here is my warning: I used to have both 1.8 and 1.4. Both performed the same with no huge difference. It took me 3 months to get in a situation where the 1.4 stood up briliantly. It was a wedding on a gray rainy day. The shots from the 1.4 we're so snappy and contrasty, they saved the whole wedding.

From that moment I finally knew what was all the magic about. It may take time but once you pin the lens, you won't believe how goot it is. This is why there is a constant debate on dpreview about the 1.4 vs. 1.8 versions. Most people sporadically shoot or never hit the conditions where the 1.4 will clearly beat the 1.8. This is why it's a pro's lens and it will shine mostly in "pro" situations: Weddings, portraits in funky light...

8. Thanks for the warning, NB. Now I'm prepared to be patient.

9. Glad to hear the lens is working out well for you, Wade! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your snaps!

10. Won't that be sweet :smile:. Hopefully in January.

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Congrats UF.

That lens will change the way you see things. My vision changes from photographer to artist when it is mounted.

Enjoy.:wink:

12. Thanks! I think it's a vanity piece, but I know I'm going to enjoy it.

13. And foremost, don't forget to shoot a Pepper with it. Who knows... :tongue:

14. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Here is one without kids Frank, and this one was at ISO 800 1/80 second at 1.4 from the dark side stage into bright lights, not a flare problem at all all night even with my UV on, and this is a substantially cropped image. focus and metering on the head, which kept the white paper from blowing out. :)

[​IMG]

Enjoy your new lens!

Wade

15. Yes Frank...LLD always helps when you are feeling down. Sorry about the D200 and it's release. I thought for sure from what Nikon said would be Dec 15 Who told you it would be late xmas week?

16. I'm not sure it's a delay, Melissa. It could be based on shipping times... from Nikon to the dealer during the holiday period, and then from the dealer to customers.

17. chrisb

chrisb

May 8, 2005
    NY
    Frank,

You are going to love the 85/f1.4.

18. I like the way you think :)

19. Good for you Frank! This lens fits you to a T. Look forward to your work.
    Dave

20. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

This should hold you until the D200 is available....:Whistle: